scruffy1

What Did You Watch Lately ?

5 hours ago, Rybags said:

I still don't get why you'd want it anywhere near a CPU?

Depends what you mean.  There are twits on YT comments suggesting it for Earth-bound ones, and those guys are clearly stupid.  OTOH, NASA likes to keep there electronics above the temperature where they stop working, so it makes sense for deep space-born stuff and rovers.

I guess there might be some insulating applications but given the price and fragility of the stuff, plus existence of plenty of alternatives I feel dubious about it.

The vacuum of space is a good insulator in itself so no doubt they probably use voids in between power generators (which are often heat generating radioactive stuff) and the bits that need to stay sort of cool.

well, really clutching at straws here..... but maybe an insulator that doesnt heat up could be good at funnelling heat away from the CPU for further extraction while not re-radiating much heat itself?

A heatpipe in laptop situation would fit but there's plenty of alternatives there too.

1 hour ago, Rybags said:

power generators (which are often heat generating radioactive stuff)

Getting rarer all the time - the Pu for the RTGs isn't being made since the military nukes aren't being produced so much. All-solar missions don't have a nice toasty pile to snuggle up with.

And it's true that vacuum is a great insulator. Getting *rid* of heat is a far more usual problem. But the aforementioned all-solar missions shut down everything but charging circuitry during nights or distant stretches, and those periods are long enough for radiative cooling to matter.

Without looking (will do so later), my prediction is that the bike will probably get away quickest, to be overhauled by the F1 car within a couple of seconds or less.

But just when victory is looking almost assured the F16, having had an initial couple of hundred feet roll you'd expect of the average pensioner-driven Camry, should embarrass them both.

(guestimate based on a similar drag that was televised on the news way back probably in the early 80s when we had the Mirage and it took on a Ferrari 308 GTS)

I neglected the supercars after reading the initial title but it looks like they didn't really figure though one looked to be ahead for a little while.

I'd really have thought the bike would have got the jump then be overtaken by the F1 car.  The F1 looked like he was having some real traction issues at times.

The F16, I guess it comes down to needing a certain distance until it puts the others to shame and a quarter mile wasn't quite enough.

What would have been nice is an overhead shot from a drone or something to see the jostling as the race progresses.

But really a lot of it comes down to traction and gearing.  I've seen some performance figures of F1 cars of the past, and they put most decent road bikes to shame.

Actually an old one and been used plenty of times in various memes.  But the Apple ones take the cake.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Glad they improved the handling since the somewhat unremarkable re-release earlier in the century.

It'd be even more stupid-fast if it wasn't so heavy.

Edited by Rybags

On 6/13/2019 at 6:04 PM, Rybags said:

But really a lot of it comes down to traction and gearing.  I've seen some performance figures of F1 cars of the past, and they put most decent road bikes to shame.

+ over that short distance, dont forget about the benefit of a perfect start. 

theres supposedly 40 ms between 1st and 2nd, which is possibly within the standard error for typical reaction times of around 190ms.

Going to start on it tonight - Game Changers:  Inside the Video Game Wars.

Covers videogame history going back to the very early days.  86 minutes so I'll probably do it in 2 or 3 viewings.

Ended up watching it all, it was a History Channel production.

First half mainly on Atari from the early 1970s and vs Magnavox.  Then onto the crash of 1983 and emergence of Nintendo then Sega.  Last part barely scratching the surface about the joint venture of Nintendo + Sony that was broken by Nintendo followed by introduction of the original PS.

Brumotti - Road Bike Freestyle 2

I sometimes think these guys are not human. Scary skills.

Don't be put off by the title; he's no centrally planned economics communist - he's the owner of a very large yogurt factory, with many employees.

7 hours ago, SacrificialNewt said:

I've been watching Dead to Me on Netflix. Not bad at all.

Ahh, okay. I started it, watched about three or four eps. and was distracted elsewhere . I'm not sure I want to see the " crash and burn " of it ... cos I know it's got to come ;)

15 hours ago, eveln said:

Ahh, okay. I started it, watched about three or four eps. and was distracted elsewhere . I'm not sure I want to see the " crash and burn " of it ... cos I know it's got to come 😉

I watched the end of the season. It's a cliffhanger. No crash and burn yet. 

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, SacrificialNewt said:

I watched the end of the season. It's a cliffhanger. No crash and burn yet. 

It's still in my "continue watching" stream. Seems I'm up to ep. 5., and there's only the one season there ... if I'm really honest here I let myself be distracted cos I'm unsettled by it. Applegate does her job brilliantly, and I feel too much

Edited by eveln
needed a comma
  • Like 1

A bit abrupt in my post up there, time constraints. Really though, don't want to go all "spoiler" on the show. I like Applegate so I will have to see about finishing the season 

• Like 1

🙂

Took me a while to catch up to the Mac Monitor stand thing Ry, still trying to stop laughing 🙂

Cheers

YT needs the abilty to give more than one thumb up sometimes.  This has to be the coolest video of the month so far.