scruffy1

What Did You Watch Lately ?

To follow the previous one up... now installed.

Supposedly it uses pistons from a Honda 50cc so I guess the capacity is probably somewhere in the range 350-500cc.

• Like 1

" Intelligence " via Netflix. Only the two seasons, and as it was done around 2007 I doubt very much there'll be more. I didn't dislike it.

I was about to say in WOYM how annoyingly repetitive the suggested YT videos have been in the last week or two (probably some new crappier algorithm).

But then this turns up, pretty cool.

Le Tour of course. Silly buggers riding pushbikes across France.

11 minutes ago, aliali said:

silly buggers

There was a fatal happening up here just the other week . A small group riding the Cook highway towards Mossman. Riding too close to each other caused one to clip another's wheel, one guy went into a ditch hurt but alive, another to  veer into oncoming truck. A Vic. guy died on impact. Bloody tragic

From suggested - this is pretty good, might check some of his other ones out.

Heh,

Back to back subjects that fascinate me for completely different reasons.

The J-58 was utterly incredible, especially for its time. Way back when Joe Poyer wrote a novel "North Cape" which centered around an ultra-secret recon aircraft with massive similarities to the SR-71. The one thing he added to what was essentially a description of the J-58 was an extra rocket stage, which if you think about it would be perfectly feasible. The downside, as exploited in the novel would be extremely high fuel consumption but the speed increase would be massive.

In the end Chernobyl was always a very poorly designed reactor - the scary thing is there are many other very similar ones across the old USSR.

Cheers

🙂

I'm not sure if that simplifies or complicates things  🙂

TOSLink has simply never really taken off and probably never will. Plastic fibre is fun, anything you can splice with a Stanley knife is in oh so many ways is a no-brainer. BUT with loss running around 1000db per km because of intermodal distortion on a grand scale - it relies upon the jacket to contain the photons not two different refractive indices of glass as a real grown up fibre cable does , it is always going to struggle.

Multimode is the half-way house, unfortunately intermodal distortion still curbs its maximum distance and at higher bandwidths you get down to not much more than copper can do.

Single mode is the future but it remains an elusive "next decade" future because of the chicken and egg of supply and demand to bring equipment prices down.

I've been singing this song for literally decades - it is beginning to get real, but damn, it's slow.

Part of the reason it is slow is the ridiculous attitude of giving the peasants just enough, the Leo factor that keeps the incredibly stupid NBN with its reliance upon rotting copper alive  🙂

Leo is going to hate me for that but I sometimes think he simply lacks vision. The time to have made the jump was a few decades ago and to their credit a small group in Telstra tried, but they lost out to the bean counters and the USO zealots - it was a fucking tragedy and one we are going to rue, if we are not already.

Cheers

TOSLink  - why bother when 75 Ohm coax carries the same digitla audio just fine?

It's almost as big a wank as those $80 gold plated HDMI cables that do utterly nothing to improve the a/v quality.

🙂

Gold plated made a sort of sense in the totally analogue era - in digital I cannot give a single reason why it would matter - as you say Ry a total wank.

Cheers

The problem with HDMI and I've said it multiple times, is that the mechanical interface is a piece of shit.  Friction fit rubbish where the conducting parts don't mate well and the plug is free to move and make/break connection.

For a few cents more they could have made it similar to the old Apple iPhone plug which clips securely into place then you just press in the ends to release.

Possibly they employed the same crew that gave us the TV end antenna connection, the last 2 iterations of that an even worse joke.

I imagine those HDMI plugs being friction fit stops a lot of people damaging their equipment when they try to yank the plug out without looking at what they're doing. 

22 hours ago, chrisg said:

the Leo factor

Some folks want to invest in our potential; others want to be tightarses as far as most people are concerned, and reinforce existing inequalities.

I'm yet to conceive how the latter looks good from any sensible angle.

🙂

"Good enough for Government work" is an attitude I utterly fail to understand.

The history of connectors is very long and utterly inglorious Ry and Flip. We just never get it right so often that it must be intentional.

You have already mentioned the HDMI and the Belling Lee but those are just the beginning. In fibre optics we went through a ridiculous evolution to eventually take us to  the ST, which I do not hate and the SC/FC/LC which are not bad but still leave room for improvement but why 3 incompatible non- standards ?

In audio we long ago settled on the awful RCA, a connector made to a price, or in Europe the DIN, which is utter rubbish. Now in computing we have to put up with the USB, which is another piece of shit and Apple insist upon using a different power connector on their phones so if I, an Android user, need to charge up at my relatives places, they mostly being Apple-blind, I'm SOOL...

A connector needs to be only a very few things -  logical, robust and easy to field terminate if necessary, plus in today's world as small as possible. Most if not all are none of those things possible exception for some of those mentioned of small.

I didn't even mention the utterly ludicrous SCART...

Do not get me started on 2.5/3.5/6.5 headphone jacks...  🙂

It leads to aisles full of cables that you end up trolling through to find what you need to connect A to B and often they do not have it.

I suppose it used to be worse, anyone recall RS-232 and DB25s/DB9s or the still with us DB 15 ?

I long ago ran a very successful company that did nothing but make up interconnect cables. It would not work today because if you hunt around you can buy the necessary cable very cheaply, it was not the case 25 years or more ago.

USB is in fact a huge leap forward, but they could have made it easier to know which way up to plug the thing in. RCA's will always be rubbish, I still sell, quite often, a very expensive German innovation of that plug that locks to the socket but a very, very elegant BNC, one of the few well designed connectors for simple signal and earth would be better.

Which then leads to what the hell happened with light globes !?!

We used to be an all bayonet country, sensible connector. Then the Chinese snuck in Edison screw via bedside lamps if I recall and now we have an  unholy  mess of globes filling half an aisle of your local supermarket and I do not know about you but I find it bloody easy to buy the wrong size.

Meanwhile they seem to now want to sell us "smart" globes - no thanks, Just standardise  on one connection type or one with logical subsets, I know how to use a light switch, I don't need Siri to turn my lights on....

*Rant over*   🙂

Cheers

Lightning is actually better than microUSB in that it's reversible though for what it is the cable cost is a ripoff in many cases.

There's reversible microUSB cables but I've got a couple and they're just too unreliable.

RCA I don't actually mind, or 3.5mm audio but they're just 2-3 contact jobs so you can hardly get it wrong... though antenna cables did manage it.

The old centronics peripheral end cables weren't too bad though the entire interface and wiring scheme is just too bulky.

And in Kashmir, is in lockdown by India. They've lost any autonomy they have and now it could be flashpoint for war between India and Pakistan (both have nukes)

On 8/2/2019 at 9:33 AM, Rybags said:

Lightning is actually better than microUSB in that it's reversible though for what it is the cable cost is a ripoff in many cases.

There's reversible microUSB cables but I've got a couple and they're just too unreliable.

RCA I don't actually mind, or 3.5mm audio but they're just 2-3 contact jobs so you can hardly get it wrong... though antenna cables did manage it.

The old centronics peripheral end cables weren't too bad though the entire interface and wiring scheme is just too bulky.

🙂

I've put up with RCA for decades because it was better than DIN but that doesn't mean I like it. It was a connector made to a price and only when you spend serious money on it, like WBT, does it become acceptable. Then you had best make sure your socket is robust enough to cope with it...

3.5mm - I don't really disagree, bit of a PITA to terminate in the field but its ok- nothing more.

Centronics was plain and simply too damned big and that is why it disappeared.

Antenna has never gotten it right - Belling Lee was bad enough, F-type is worse in as much as you can only really use solid core cable with it although at least it locks to the socket.

The BNC will always be superior for not much more money in the end and a dramatic drop in frustration.

It's not optimal though, not sure what it is but an exercise for inquiring minds 🙂

To change subjects yeah J, India/Pakistan is a disaster waiting to happen.

Cheers

Watched this one last night - banger to resto.  The video production not of the quality you might expect of a Binky episode and the length of an hour TV show but worth a look if it fits your interest.

On 8/5/2019 at 8:29 PM, chrisg said:

I've put up with RCA for decades because it was better than DIN but that doesn't mean I like it.

whats your major beef with RCA?

i guess it all depends on the application.  ive always found they stay put well, while being satisfyingly smooth to plug in/out.  i suppose theyre fairly noisy and bulky, but i quite like them for spdif.

Hmm.

It was always a connector built to lowest price. I agree, so long as the socket is resilient they hang on ok, but could be better.

The worst really is how it is terminated - all they had to do was keep the earth on the outside and the signal central and there would have been more than enough separation to make it simple, but no, earth and signal are in close proximity, which is also not good for high frequency cross-talk.

i'm probably biased, BNC is plain elegant, but when manufacturers started dropping them off VCRs in favor of RCA it was apparent all they cared about was the dollars, BNCs do cost a bit more but they never give up 🙂

Cheers

DIN is OK... so long as for frequent plugging it's 7 contacts or less.  The PITA is mini DIN as per SVideo and PS2.