scruffy1

What Did You Watch Lately ?

Heh.

I'll give Russians one thing, their latest carrier debacle aside they do make very substantial ships.

The Lenin, a nuclear powered ice-breaker worked for 30 years clearing passages through pack ice, now a museum in Murmansk, no idea if the  reactor is still on board.

Can't say that delivery trip bothers me much.

Cheers

Interesting... I didn't realise XP topped 80%

Vista didn't even crack over 20.  Windows 7 overthrew it's predecessor probably quicker than any other modern OS, and held the lead for longest though peaked around 58.

How accurate this is, I don't know.  Me doesn't even get a lookin though it does start in 2004.  Win 2000 seems more popular than I'd have thought though was a favoured choice for plenty of home users until XP became established.  8 and Vista never really got a foothold and didn't overthrow the OS they followed.

XP just lingers on seemingly forever, thanks for the memories but please just go away!

Edited by Rybags

33 minutes ago, Rybags said:

Interesting... I didn't realise XP topped 80%

Vista didn't even crack over 20.  Windows 7 overthrew it's predecessor probably quicker than any other modern OS, and held the lead for longest though peaked around 58.

How accurate this is, I don't know.  Me doesn't even get a lookin though it does start in 2004.  Win 2000 seems more popular than I'd have thought though was a favoured choice for plenty of home users until XP became established.  8 and Vista never really got a foothold and didn't overthrow the OS they followed.

XP just lingers on seemingly forever, thanks for the memories but please just go away!

That more or less reflects what I’ve seen. Long live windows 10 but give us back the f8 entry key for debugging.

That's an annoyance but overcome fairly easiy -  bcdedit /set {current} bootmenupolicy Legacy (from CMD as Admin)

Of course that's of little help after the system has decided to become unstable.

Yeah - but you'd need to factor in new laptops and brand name PCs where the OS is shovelware and probably accounted for over half of the early OS sales.

Probably a bit longer than it needs to be and only really of interest if you were into the Amiga or 16-bit era systems.  Pity about a few of these...

Ahmm... So I've been a lil' bit clocktower-ish the last little while...  Perversely, perhaps, I've always felt a little less like murdering everyone after a good thrash - both musically and in fast cars.  Well, the cars are 20 years in history, but the music I can still do.  And getting my metal fix when paired up with the absurdity of using an annoyingly ear-wormy pop song as a base is just amazing.

Thought I might share these: (alphabetically)

If you like Leo's stuff, there is tonnes more on his YT channel.

🙂

Had a wander around Leo's site a couple of weeks back - can't honestly recall why because metal is so usually not my thing but I did rather enjoy it.

Another aspect to bear in mind with OS take up scruffy is the FUD factor affect on relatively new PC users that have come along in the past decade, especially older users who get scared by discontinuation of support warnings.

XP is so popular simply because big upgrades in business are so damned expensive and not really in software costs but time and training or rather re-training. Businesses don't worry anywhere near as much about end of support since they are usually (if not insane, which does happen) tucked away behind robust firewalls with a solid SOE.

XP works, and works well , so if it is doing what you need why upgrade ?

Microsoft know that so they span the tale of Win10 being the last Windows and giving it away to encourage upgrades from XP whilst getting a breather to very likely release a new OS sometime in the future whilst maintaining cashflow with Office 365 etc.

To a degree it has worked, but only to a degree, many businesses are perfectly happy with XP treating it purely as a tool to run their apps.

The Amiga was always a bit of a tragedy I guess Ry, so much promise but killed by the Wintel juggernaut.

Cheers

That and the fact they dragged the chain with hardware improvements.  They approached the quality of VGA graphics but never bothered to improve the audio beyond 8 bits (though you can get apparent 14 with a cheat + software assistance).  Plus, the PC had and still has the unmatched open architecture with both hw and sw.

Hmm,

The 2000, I had one for a while, was heading the way of open architecture, wasn't quite there but you could drop in an XT board and dual boot it.

Rather expensive, but everything was back then  🙂

Cheers

The other thing that killed it and proprietary systems like Atari ST - they never really got a foothold in business (esp corporate/gov) or education.

Apple had the schools sewn up early in the II days in the US.  IBM had business for the most part, Mac got the foothold with DTP.

The reality is that the ST and Amiga never really had much success in the US, most of it came from Europe.  And in the later days a resurgence was had thanks to new markets from former Eastern Bloc members, plenty of which were affected by the tech embargo.

In saying "proprietary system" - they all were to begin with but IBM became the standard, then later on Apple as well.  Part of me is glad we're rid of all the different interfaces that would only work with a couple of systems, and the dozens of OSes and language variants you had to learn, but that stuff is a big part of the appeal of retro systems.

Yeah, that was where Commodore basically missed the boat.

The Amiga, especially the 2000 really did have business promise but they didn't really understand the apps, too much 64 gaming perhaps, and pretty much missed the boat on networking.

I made quite a bit of money for a while making odd-ball cable so one could talk to another or use not outwardly compatible peripherals but that's long gone, cabling is very standardised these days.

Cheers

thought of putting this in the favourite movie thread, but figured i haven't seen it (yet)

jim jarmusch (a favourite of mine) taking the piss out of many; tilda swinton does kill bill - eat your heart out quentin tarantino (or iggy pop will do it for you)

😘

I had no idea that in the modern day they can be used in lieu of knock sensors - the electrical characteristics when a small current is passed after combustion, the quality of the burn can be measured and compared against a known profile to determine if pre-ignition has been occuring.

This weekend I'm currently watching qualifying the the Thai MotoGP. Tomorrow it's UFC from the AM, then the NRL Grand Final day...then the Thai MotoGP race.

Marc Marquez, the current world champion and this season's championship leader, has a chance to seal the 2019 title this weekend - his 8th world championship!
Nearly kills himself in a massive crash, completely fucking DESTROYS the bike...comes back from a hospital check up, back on the bike and then sets his fastest lap of the day....GOD LIKE

Luckily he had a clean dismount and good amount of friendly terrain in front of him for the slide.

That video is disabled from embed so you'd probably want to just change to a link only.

9 hours ago, twinair said:

Nearly kills himself in a massive crash, completely fucking DESTROYS the bike

Ye was a nasty high side but at least he didn't tumble down the road. The bike on the other hand is, as you said, destroyed. Marquez was actually lucky not to get hit by it.

9 hours ago, twinair said:

comes back from a hospital check up, back on the bike and then sets his fastest lap of the day....GOD LIKE

Must be really really depressing for his opponents.

Marc Marquez wins the GP and seals his 8th world championship.

The bloke's a freak.

Ah fuck, sorry man. It just didn't occur to me that anyone else would be watching at all, let alone on delay.

Soz 😞