Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
scruffy1

What Did You Watch Lately ?

That'd be ear-popping.

Part of the reasoning for it's existence is eliminate hub visits for minor routes so short field performance and good climb rate would have been a priority.

Though I bet it's running with no more than 3 or 4 human cargo and less than 10% fuel load.

Russell Crowe in The Water Diviner . Some of the front line scenes were good.

Russell Crowe in The Water Diviner . Some of the front line scenes were good.

Yeah pity the story was 99.9% complete fiction. :)

Otherwise we watched this pilot the other day from the Stargate guys, too early to tell yet but might have some legs. (And the cast is usual crowd from PrettyPeopleInc which I'm getting sick of looking at TBH...)

Oops wrong thread

Edited by eveln

[Q&A] I thought it was a good watch [...] I didn't nod off, not once ;)

Very rarely find Q&A boring. Sometimes I want to throw things at the people on the panel (usually Tony Jones ;p), but... It's on my watch list every week.

Industrial Light and Magic: Creating the Impossible.

Nice little doco, looks to have been made a couple of years ago. Covers the history of ILM from the mid 1970s to the present.

Goes some way into the technical side of the effects rather than just glossing over everything.

[Q&A] I thought it was a good watch [...] I didn't nod off, not once ;)

Very rarely find Q&A boring. Sometimes I want to throw things at the people on the panel (usually Tony Jones ;p), but... It's on my watch list every week.

No I don't watch it every week. I have to be in a tolerant frame of mind to watch it, and even then it takes some doing ;)

If the nodding off is approaching I'm outta there. If the PC speak is too thick, I'm outta there. If the out and out political

bullshit is too patronising I'm outta there. The only reason I lasted a show with Turnbull in it was cos Ben Elton had a serious

and somewhat amusing man-crush going on for Malcolm ... it was fun to watch Malcolm trying not to squirm.

I'm not watching the Killing Season. News hype says it's getting a huge viewing :\

Watched the Last of my Black Sails Season 2 Dvd's last night ,damn awesome.

Especially the attack scene in Last Episode on the town. A Spanish Warship decimating a town ,seeing all those building crumble.

Now i have to until same time next year for season 3, its going to be interesting all the main pirates have been scattered.

;)

That seems to be the general consensus Aussie, which probably means I will have to give it a miss, my wife has had one heart attack in the past two or so years already :)

I keep wondering how I seem to find myself watching Masterchef again.

My wife puts it on I guess but I'm really not getting why I watch, the format always seems a bit ludicrous to me but I've never been into cooking competitions, the judges I tend to sum up as pretentious prats and that description goes for some of the contestants as well. Lastly it is just so staged - always down to the wire but just done in time - rubbish.

But, still I watch, the power of television to mesmerise ;)

For those who have been following Madam Secretary it's the pivotal episode tonight, the one that filled all the trailers, it's on right after... Masterchef :)

Cheers

Industrial Light and Magic: Creating the Impossible.

Nice little doco, looks to have been made a couple of years ago. Covers the history of ILM from the mid 1970s to the present.

Goes some way into the technical side of the effects rather than just glossing over everything.

I watched it as well. Solid effort. Learnt some stuff I didn't know ...

I also watched Mad Max - Fury Road ... sorry. but ... meh ! I think Miller should have left it alone after number 3.

http://iview.abc.net.au/programs/blood-thunder-the-sound-of-alberts/DO1404H001S00

First of a two part watch on the rise of Aussie rock in the mid 60's. Can't wait for the second part ... AccaDaccaaaaaa !

An interesting show. Walt didn't realise he spent his first years in Aus in the same establishment as the Young clan.

Villawood ... the centre that houses the Greats !

Jurassic World.

IMO as good as the original, but you knew something was going to get out of the cage !!

Cheers, I'll be sure to give it a miss then. :)

Hated the original, any show where lizards are smarter than all the humans stretched things just a 'bit' too far for me. :)

OK, so I left it too long and there's only one cinema left playing a single session per day. But hey, you can get it on "iTunes" now.

Mad Max: Fury Road

Nice assortment of Rat Rods. In fact, likely to be the biggest assembly of them ever seen in a movie.

At least one car and some aspects of the movie reminded me of "The Cars that ate Paris" (even though I probably saw that once ever and over 25 years ago).

As a Mad Max movie... OK, I suppose I can live with it. I just have to take the slant of it being a yarn told by an uninvolved party and that it slips into the timeline somewhere. Although of course it's obviously after MM1 and FFS, please let's all just agree it's before Road Warrior, not after it.

As a movie, disregarding remainder of the franchise. Yep, as an action film it's a standout. 120 minutes of which the final credit roll lasting 7 minutes is probably designed to let you return to normality after all the mayhem.

The movie barely sits still, there's maybe 10-15 minutes in total when there's not some sort of chase going on. The CGI is there and fairly obvious when it is there but it's a necessary evil.

Max himself - yeah, I reckon they could have cast the role better. An Aussie for starters would have been nice. But as it sits, he's a guest star for half the movie then gets promoted to supporting actor.

As for where it sits - head and shoulders, well above Thunderdome though that's not hard. I still think Road Warrior is better by a good margin. I suppose I'd put it on par with Mad Max (original).

I foresee some Oscar nominations though probably not for quality of acting. And maybe an award or three out of that.

Also, agreed at the annoyance of the Interceptor being barely seen. And having it in the bad guys hands for 95% of the time we did see it, not so great.

Edited by Rybags

Heh,

I've honestly so little interest in Fury Road and you are not helping :)

I do remain very interested in the Madam Secretary story arc, a plot line that really is defying the dogma, because most of it is dogma.

Cheers

Never know, you might like it.

I liked it sufficiently that I'm looking forward to putting it on again when I get some spare time.

Though I tend to agree with the fact that the audience doesn't really become intimate with any of the characters (except maybe Furiousa).

I bought Leonard Maltin's movie review book over 20 years ago. He's usually pretty on the mark with his ratings and assessments, some relevant quotage from his webpage relating to MM:FR.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/leonardmaltin/the-sound-and-fury-of-mad-max-fury-road-20150514

If production design and cutting-edge stunt work were enough to make a great movie, Mad Max: Fury Road would be the cinematic event of the year. But even this adrenaline-fueled action yarn has characters in it, and they are so sketchily drawn that it keeps the film from being a total success, in spite of its many attributes.

~

But as I watched the first act, I found myself wondering why I felt a certain distance from the mayhem onscreen. Then I realized: I didn’t care about any of the characters.

Tom Hardy’s Mad Max is a cypher. We learn, early on, that he is driven by the desperate need to survive, and that he harbors terrible guilt about the people close to him that he was unable to protect. That’s all we know. Hardy has admitted in interviews that he didn’t understand what Miller wanted of him during the long, arduous production of Fury Road. It shows.

~

But I stop short of calling it a great movie because it lacks heart and soul to match its abundant energy.

Hmm,

I've an ancient copy of that book here somewhere, you are right, he usually has a good take.

I'm just not going to rush to see it, it probably picked a bad year for release, some monster movies getting to the screen :)

Cheers

Yep, a bit of competition around but they mostly seem to be staggered release schedule though San Andreas was pretty close.

The one thing I found though is he seems to be overly fond of the older 1920s to 1950s movies, plenty of them get way more praise than they deserve.