scruffy1

What Did You Watch Lately ?

27 minutes ago, twinair said:

Share the shit out of this link please

but but I don't want toooo 😱

A bit pissed off that I've not been able to find the Gallen vs Hall boxing match anywhere.

Alternatively, it showed up on the first several hits of a Goggler Search

https://www.allthebestfights.com/barry-hall-vs-paul-gallen-full-fight-video-2019/

VideoDownloadHelper extension for Firefox helps in that you capture the stream to a file then play it back in a civilized way.

or not... the latest trick to stop you enjoying streaming video the way it should be watched is that they throw in dup frames and shit which don't get corrected when you rip the stream.

• Thanks 1

So the difference is a ring replaces the field, and they wear gloves?

😎 interesting outcome.

So what happened to Hopoate? I think he lost his last fight didn't he? sprained his finger before the fight?

interesting fight.  kept wanting Barry to speed up his jabs and throw more, but then i have no concept of what its like to wield a frame like that.  people are praising his footwork, i guess because he had a keen sense of range and was good at getting in and out.  but he seemed rooted to the floor when they were trading at close range.   pretty hard for Gallen not to throw kidney punches all day with that height and reach disparity!

18 minutes ago, @~thehung said:

interesting fight.  kept wanting Barry to speed up his jabs and throw more, but then i have no concept of what its like to wield a frame like that.  people are praising his footwork, i guess because he had a keen sense of range and was good at getting in and out.  but he seemed rooted to the floor when they were trading at close range.   pretty hard for Gallen not to throw kidney punches all day with that height and reach disparity!

Agreed, some of the way they fought was predictable like in regards to height differences as you point out.

I guess not a bad effort on both their parts considering neither are really boxers.

Hall must have lost a shitload of weight to qualify for the same division, Gallen actually heavier at 101.6 vs 98.5 kg.

Hall with 14 cm extra height and a 16 cm reach advantage which is huge.  4 year age advantage to Gal not to mention that he's played fulltime football much more recently.

I was in 2 minds about the thing - I prefer Aussie Rules over League though Gallen has a reputation as a good bloke and Hall's career punctuated with low acts and many of the punches coming without warning and in some cases without the other player even seeing it.

But Hall was a gentleman in the leadup - Gallen throwing insults but Hall tending not to reply.

Hall was an amateur boxer in his much younger days, Gallen turned pro a while ago.

A pretty entertaining fight and good effort from both.  As a spectacle I've seen far worse from career professionals who've been paid millions for the privelage.  Hoping for a rematch and one with an actual result.

Edited by Rybags

A blast from the past.  And Canadian stormtroopers to boot!

• Like 1

@Cybes well ain't that some creepy coincidence shit ?!?  We were watching exactly that ^^ whilst chilling and organising ourselves pre dinner last night

3 hours ago, Damo said:

"File Format Not Supported"

i can't watch that

• Haha 2

Works fine here.  About the only thing different from most YT videos is that my download extension can't grab it, so likely it's one of those encrypted/protected jobs like most of the music videos now.

21 minutes ago, Rybags said:

Works fine here.  About the only thing different from most YT videos is that my download extension can't grab it, so likely it's one of those encrypted/protected jobs like most of the music videos now.

i was having a joke about not being able to watch damo's suggestion "File Format Not Supported"

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Cybes said:

Well worth a watch, imho.

i applaud the sentiment, and it definitely cant hurt, but these types of speeches are frustrating as hell.  as always, there is scant acknowledgement that advocating for overarching control over the sanitisation of social media is advocating for global thought police.  platitudes about finding a balance that doesnt stifle freedom of expression are just a way of stuffing that can of worms in the too hard basket.  however, some of his comments on standards and practices were on point and refreshingly practical.  there is vast ignorance out there though, seemingly willful at times, about the monumental technical challenges of enforcing ostensibly "simple" solutions.  like a delay on livestreams, for example.  it sounds nice.  its crowd pleasing.  problem solved, right?  but that still relies upon Farcebook being able to detect that something like Christchurch is in progress during the delay.  and how exactly are they going to do that?  oh, you know, just wave their techno company wizard wands...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, @~thehung said:

i applaud the sentiment ... but these types of speeches are frustrating as hell.

Complete agreement, @~.  My comment was not signifying agreement with his position, but that it was a good jumping off point for further thought - both for one's self, and as a community.

As I see it, his problem is that he's seeing these guys as publishers.  Whilst it is true that some of what they do is similar to a publisher, it's more accurate to compare these platforms to something like if a public square was private property: there are soapboxes around the place for any knucklehead to yell his poison from, and noticeboards all over that anyone from bands to political parties to stick posters on.  Except that it's a virtual square, and there is no public one to go to - if there was one, the sort of censorship he's proposing would be unacceptable there.  Somehow, being private means different rules apply, apparently.

Anyway...  And now for something completely different!

Half of Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and gotta say I'm only impressed with the Gorilla Glue brownies to be honest.

I attempted to sit through Australia Talks ( iView) . Couldn't do it. My disgust of how Annabel allowed herself to be presented just took over . FFS woman ! Why on earth would you think the way you were falsely made up was in any way appropriate or appealing ??

Whilst Waleed looked like his usual anal self in suit and tie, Annabel was decked out in lurid yellow and standing in heels waaay to high for someone presenting an hour long show standing up ( well I'm assuming they stood for the entirety ) She's got a great head of hair with curls people pay outrageous amounts of money to imitate. But someone had done a very dodgy job trying to tame the curls and she ended up looking like a freak out of a bad seventies show.

Now I've always like reading her articles, even if I haven't always agreed with her, I think or thought, that she was a lady with a clue, or ten ... and perhaps she still has, only the clue she thinks she has now,  is how to get more fame ... such a shame .

Edited by eveln

2 minutes ago, eveln said:

I attempted to sit through Australia Talks ( iView) . Couldn't do it. My disgust of how Annabel allowed herself to be presented just took over . FFS woman ! Why on earth would you think the way you were falsely made up was in any way appropriate or appealing ??

Whilst Waleed looked like his usual anal self in suit and tie, Annabel was decked out in lurid yellow and standing in heels waaay to high for someone presenting an hour long show standing up ( well I'm assuming they stood for the entirety ) She's got a great head of hair

with curls people pay outrageous amounts of money to imitate. But someone had done a very dodgy job trying to tame the curls and she ended up looking like a freak out of a bad seventies show.

Now I've always like reading her articles, even if I haven't always agreed with her, I think or thought, that she was a lady with a clue, or ten ... and perhaps she still has, only the clue she thinks she has now,  is how to get more fame ... such a shame .

I didn't bother.

You knew by their choice of presenters that the fix was in.

• Like 1