scruffy1

What Did You Watch Lately ?

This is post-career.  By the looks not polluting the original timeline like much of the other recent junk.

I watched a film the other day called "The Judge " with Robert Downey Junior, Robert Duval, Vincent D'Onofrio, Billy Bob Thornton and others. Apparently it's been around four or five years , but new to me. It hooked me

Just for once I managed to watch a current movie, "The Irishman."

Very ,very good, compelling use of digital to alter the ages of the key placers, a mix of De Niro, Pesci, Keitel and Pacino - pretty much all the wise guys in other words. I'm not sure if the plot is completely accurate to what went on in the heyday of the mobsters but it makes for very good viewing.

Cheers

On 1/23/2020 at 11:58 PM, Rybags said:

Star Trek:  Picard

Normally not much of a Star Trek TV series fan (although I do like the reboot movies) but this does have a bit of promise.

On 1/24/2020 at 5:06 AM, LogicprObe said:

So, is this continuing on after he was 'hoisted on his own Picard'?

As Rybags said follows on post career. Think it said something like 2 decades later? (Long lives in the ST universe apparently).

Anyways so watched that. Also watching the new seasons of Death in Paradise, Heavy Rescue and Highway Thru Hell. Saving up to Binge Dr Who later on.

Also been watching a lot of videos by an Arborist by the name of August Hunicke on Youtube.

Just fascinated by their skills and abilities.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSSqc6uBFz_yx-LBrjyRrvw

1 hour ago, chrisg said:

Just for once I managed to watch a current movie, "The Irishman."

Very ,very good, compelling use of digital to alter the ages of the key placers, a mix of De Niro, Pesci, Keitel and Pacino - pretty much all the wise guys in other words. I'm not sure if the plot is completely accurate to what went on in the heyday of the mobsters but it makes for very good viewing.

Cheers

i enjoyed it - scorcese can make a long movie without a lot of redundant stuff (let's not mention tarantino again)

the irishman was a bit like  the forrest gump as a mafiosa -  de niro seemed to have been everywhere when famous events took place, just a little too frequently

good acting, but not an exceptional movie

🙂

No, there is no way I could handle 3 hours plus of anything Tarantino.

I haven't read the book "The Irishman" is based upon but I sort of assumed keeping De Nero as the central character of all things famous was more cinematic license than anything else in telling a complex story.

Whilst the truth may never emerge the mob certainly was into everything back in the day.

Better stop there or I'll be accused of spoilers 🙂

Cheers

I dumped Highway Thru Hell some time back.  It was a great show but plummeted in my books when they split and changed much of the crew and went north - I think that was around series 5.

Got into Heavy Rescue but found them hard to obtain.

We found an asteroid that's been very close to us most of the time!

2 hours ago, aliali said:

Also watching the new seasons of Death in Paradise,

I've started on this one too ... I think maybe either I'm not such a fan of the latest detective or the series has had it's day for me ... will continue for a bit and see if that changes

In case you're wondering, the group responsible for this video are Cool Worlds Lab.  They are actually a serious bunch.  This name was not intentionally chosen to be froody, but because of their research focus: cool worlds; ie: exoplanets that are estimated to be around 'temperate' - not frozen, and not above boiling either.

That's fascinating Cybes - a little scary, but to get the material to build it I guess we either have to get back to the moon for real or snag an asteroid. Neither is happening tomorrow.

Cheers

5 hours ago, LogicprObe said:

On the first gravitational wobble..............what's gonna happen?

Gravity does not vary like a summer breeze, y'know.  Plus, the thing is a flexible structure under tension - pulled taught toward Earth.  If a conjunction or something does distort the tether from its usual position, it will return to that as soon as it passes.

7 hours ago, Outcast_Aussie said:

Just finished upgrading my ebike from 48v to 72v

Zoom zoom Outcast. Make much of a difference?

• Like 1

that'd surely be illegal in straya

even electric scooters are rather grey here

8 hours ago, Cybes said:

Gravity does not vary like a summer breeze, y'know.  Plus, the thing is a flexible structure under tension - pulled taught toward Earth.  If a conjunction or something does distort the tether from its usual position, it will return to that as soon as it passes.

Actually being in vacuum at the moon's surface there is no reason that it could not have a very elastic anchor. In fact the anchor would be more of a convenience, it should just hover 🙂

Cheers

13 minutes ago, scruffy1 said:

that'd surely be illegal in straya

even electric scooters are rather grey here

Yeah, disabled pensioners with suped up wheel chairs have a speed limit there.

7 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

Yeah, disabled pensioners with suped up wheel chairs have a speed limit there.

There was an old bastard driving down the middle of the road  in a backstreet in Fairfield..................I blew my horn at him so I could get around and he gave me the finger and refused to move over!

11 minutes ago, LogicprObe said:

There was an old bastard driving down the middle of the road  in a backstreet in Fairfield..................I blew my horn at him so I could get around and he gave me the finger and refused to move over!

lol. karma dude ! one day it might be you choofing down the middle of the road 😛

7 minutes ago, eveln said:

lol. karma dude ! one day it might be you choofing down the middle of the road 😛

There was a perfectly good footpath as well.

I gave him a gobful...............he was probably deaf as well!...............although he heard the horn.

43 minutes ago, LogicprObe said:

There was a perfectly good footpath as well.

I gave him a gobful...............he was probably deaf as well!...............although he heard the horn.

He'd probably had a gut full of pedestrians in their unhealthy lycras pushing prams

• Like 1