Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
scruffy1

What Did You Watch Lately ?

How'd that happen?  Did you upload the video as well as post the YT link or something?

1 hour ago, Rybags said:

How'd that happen?  Did you upload the video as well as post the YT link or something?

yes, i embedded the YT source when it seemed the upload doesnt fit.  i was expecting a thumb and pop-up or something. 

Media files that can embed will quite often stretch to fit the size of the window in the browser.  Not always images, but almost always videos.

Better late to the party than never...

Prince of Persia is a video gaming classic but many 8-bit systems missed out as it came out when they were becoming irrelevant.

Commodore 64 got a reverse-engineered conversion (and it's a good one) a few years ago.  Jordan Mechner has since released the original Apple II source code and also wrote a book to coincide with the game's 30th anniversary.

It's still a work in progress, but the best 8-bit computer, otherwise known as the Atari XL, can now run the game as well.  Still a way to go, but looking good.

Posted (edited)

i havent seen Ricky's stuff since Extras.  but this outtakes reel made me want to see this.

Edited by @~thehung

2 hours ago, Rybags said:

Everything about this design is a pita to work with after you unscrew the bottom cover. 

I've only worked on 2012 and earlier ones.  The later ones with the multi part battery and different layout I imagine would be a right PITA.

I put a new display panel in one of my 2011 machines a few years ago, that was a semi complex job but probably no harder than a normal laptop.

The Macbook unibody is actually a pretty good design when you look at the overall situation compared to competitors laptops.  Replacing some major components is way easier than the other guys.

But as this and plenty of his other videos point out, their design at lower levels leave much to be desired.  And it seems to be a global thing that their shop employees are clueless to the point where any problem not immediately fixable means you have to replace the motherboard.

5 hours ago, Rybags said:

I've only worked on 2012 and earlier ones.  The later ones with the multi part battery and different layout I imagine would be a right PITA.

I put a new display panel in one of my 2011 machines a few years ago, that was a semi complex job but probably no harder than a normal laptop.

The Macbook unibody is actually a pretty good design when you look at the overall situation compared to competitors laptops.  Replacing some major components is way easier than the other guys.

But as this and plenty of his other videos point out, their design at lower levels leave much to be desired.  And it seems to be a global thing that their shop employees are clueless to the point where any problem not immediately fixable means you have to replace the motherboard.

The 2012 and earlier stuff was great for accessibility. A fairly easy design where you can easily get at most stuff. Nice simple connectors and some reasonably easy to follow cable routing. It's like Apple decided it was too easy. Not that things like the surface pro are any better. I'd still take the current apple design over that for repairs. 

2 hours ago, fliptopia said:

The 2012 and earlier stuff was great for accessibility. A fairly easy design where you can easily get at most stuff. Nice simple connectors and some reasonably easy to follow cable routing. It's like Apple decided it was too easy. Not that things like the surface pro are any better. I'd still take the current apple design over that for repairs. 

Repair-ability isn't a priority now, it's about how cheap you builder the things.

We're talking about the same company who ditched a faulty keyboard design after years of complains about it (and replaced it with a version of the previous keyboard)

Edited by Jeruselem

The annoyance with most modern laptops is just getting the thing open.

Screws hidden under rubber feet, often need to pull the keyboard out to get at another.

Then the retaining clip on system that will usually resist half the way and often break in the process.

And the basic upgradeable stuff no longer accessed in 30 seconds, usually hidden under a bunch of other crap and requiring the whole case to be pulled apart.

25 minutes ago, Rybags said:

The annoyance with most modern laptops is just getting the thing open.

Screws hidden under rubber feet, often need to pull the keyboard out to get at another.

Then the retaining clip on system that will usually resist half the way and often break in the process.

And the basic upgradeable stuff no longer accessed in 30 seconds, usually hidden under a bunch of other crap and requiring the whole case to be pulled apart.

And when you get in there the RAM is all soldered on chips on the motherboard. Sometimes the ssd too

On 5/13/2020 at 10:56 PM, Jeruselem said:

A song for this forum, ironically called the Coffin Dance (it's actually called Astronomia)

This forum is going die, let's celebrate.

Wrong link?

1 hour ago, aliali said:

Wrong link?

There's like lots of difference versions of that meme. It's not the original

2 hours ago, fliptopia said:

And when you get in there the RAM is all soldered on chips on the motherboard. Sometimes the ssd too

Soldering on the storage chips to the motherboard is unforgivable for device where you should be able to change your storage media.

A more original coffin dance video

Edited by Jeruselem
  • Like 1

the system encourages replacement rather than incremental upgrade

not just apple, any phone you might name

an sd slot should be a standard fitting for extra storage

that's why i still like desktops, and why my 2nd gen i5 system eventually ended up a 2nd gen i7 2600k @ 4.1ghz and 16gb of ram at 2133 (rated 2400, but maxed in that cpu setting) and eventually the gtx 1060 6gb, with ab ssd and hdd for storage

it was still great until earlier in the year when the imc finally rebelled and would only let me do 1600, and then 1333... still, not bad for almost a decade of service by that chip, with two previous owners, the first of whom may have punished it harder than i ever did (at my very mild 1.24vcore)

If it's 8 Gig soldered on and a slot provided for more then it's not too bad.

But yeah, poor form in general.

It was bad enough when about 7 years ago all the CPUs went to BGA.  At least before then you could usually aquire a faster one later down the track without a total reinvestment.

Do you have a painful scrote?

Well, you will in time.

• Like 1

He really does look like a shape shifting alien, pretending to be a human ....

and getting it not quite right ...  uncanny valley or what 🤔