Forum upgrade is live! Read more... ×
scruffy1

What Did You Watch Lately ?

Snowpiercer.

We liked it :)

I'm seeing quite a bit of positive audience reaction to that movie. Gotta say, from the trailer alone, I don't get it - I'm having a very hard time indeed getting over the whole "life on a train" bit a a serious proposal. It makes a whole lot more sense as a generation ship (eg: Nonstop), or even as a metaphor (Earth is also a closed system, hurtling through space forever), but it isn't either of those.

I understand where your coming from Cybes. I'm one of those folks who is happy to 'suspend belief' and just go with it :)

Snowpiercer.

We liked it :)

I've avoided this til now. I'm gonna come for ya if its bad.

• Like 1

I watched Interstellar today.

It was ok.

I wouldn't run out to see it though. Even though I did, but it was less about the desire to see it and more about what was playing when I rocked up to the cinema to see something.

It was kinda convoluted, they tried to pack a crazy amount into a movie, which is why it is almost 3 hours long. Not sure if it worked as a cohesive film or not, I'm still processing it on my back burner.

Some of the space stuff was nice looking. None of the acting was overly remarkable. Good, but not amazing. All and all it was adequate.

I would give it a 6.25 out of 10.
Edited by GhostWhoWalks

I watched Interstellar today.

It was ok.

I wouldn't run out to see it though. Even though I did, but it was less about the desire to see it and more about what was playing when I rocked up to the cinema to see something.

It was kinda convoluted, they tried to pack a crazy amount into a movie, which is why it is almost 3 hours long. Not sure if it worked as a cohesive film or not, I'm still processing it on my back burner.

Some of the space stuff was nice looking. None of the acting was overly remarkable. Good, but not amazing. All and all it was adequate.

I would give it a 6.25 out of 10.

Just got back from seeing it on Vmax with the missus.

We both enjoyed it. I didn't realise it had gone that long until we were walking out, so it didn't seem uncomfortably long. There was one sequence toward the end I was thinking at the time that they could have shortened it. But apart from that a very enjoyable movie.

I was quite in the dumps this week so I went on a rampage of movies.

1. Dog Day Afternoon

2. Blue is the Warmest Colour.

3. V for Vendetta

4. A whole load of Band of Brothers

5. Homeland

And soon Star Wars Rebels!

That was my week!

Edge of Tomorrow was one of the best sci-fi films I've seen in years. Amazingly well done, and tightly edited.

Been watching the second season of House of Cards. I did *not* see the twist with Meechem coming, at least, not like *that*. So fucking good.

Three and a half minutes of a platypus filmed outside of Hobart.

They really are an amazing creature aren't they?

Just went through a load of farm fence surveillance videos. Being used to inspect animal interaction with a fence.

They are all here https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zcnmphhnnvqa3f6/AAAOdyP6yKiHx7nzPPUEYJQla?dl=0

but will be boring as crap for most but somoen might find them interesting.

The majority of wallabies etc are on the wrong side of the fence being in the farm paddock, not the bush (farm to the left of shot bush to the right of shot).

Edited by aliali

Three and a half minutes of a platypus filmed outside of Hobart.

They really are an amazing creature aren't they?

Just went through a load of farm fence surveillance videos. Being used to inspect animal interaction with a fence.

They are all here https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zcnmphhnnvqa3f6/AAAOdyP6yKiHx7nzPPUEYJQla?dl=0

but will be boring as crap for most but somoen might find them interesting.

The majority of wallabies etc are on the wrong side of the fence being in the farm paddock, not the bush (farm to the left of shot bush to the right of shot).

Yeah they are, I remember seeing a couple when I was cutting through Holwell Gorge on my way home as a lad, earlier this year we took the boys for a visit to Platypus house at Beauty Point, if anyone is ever visiting the Tamar Valley, Seahorse World and Platypus House are well worth a visit.

One of the better documentaries I have seen in a long time. Although, I find it odd that the people who make these things still want to charge people and thus make a profit for it...

-X

Good god how do they remember where everything is and what it does?

Bear in mind: this bird was old before I ever flew, so I've not seen a few of those markings before; and I've never got my mitts on anything bigger than a piston-engined twin, let alone a freakin' Blackbird. However: Most of that stuff is written right on the gauge. eg: Top row: Compressor Inlet Temperature, Airspeed Indicator, Artificial Horizon, Clock & Altimeter, left & right turbine RPM. Straight below the AH is a nav display (ADF/DME/VOR); below the ASI is a Vertical Speed Indicator; right of that is left and right Exhaust Gas Temperature gauges, engine thrust/output in %ge of rated, fuel flow in pounds per minute*; and oil pressure; Left side panel has heating sensor switch and heating controls; landing lights and gear controls (including Liquid Oxygen tank? wow); dunno what the 'spike' stuff is (Mach flight related?); Attitude Indicators for raw/pitch/and yaw; Right side panel has a big fat fuel gauge (90,000lbs apparently); Liquid Nitrogen tank gauges**(!); dunno what "CG" is; fuel tank pressure; fuel transfer pump switches, etc... Stuff down either side of the chair are comm transceivers and nav receivers, then breakers at the back (like fuses, but resettable - they pop up if/when something blows).

*If I'm reading those markings properly, if you managed to max out fuel flow on both engines simultaneously, you could drain the fuel tank in 30 seconds! Now, you probably never could get that, but even so - those flow dials are "x1000lbs" with graduations in fives - even minimum indicated for two engines would drain that 90,000lbs tank in 90 minutes. And I bet minimum is exactly what you aren't using at Mach whatever.

**I'm surprised and puzzled by the Liquid Nitrogen tank level gauges at the far right. Firstly, because I didn't know they had any LN on board; second because I can't think what they'd use it for (the air up there is cold enough already, surely?); and thirdly, because there appears to be both gallons and litres dials. Maybe Chrisg has some input?

Boy, those things could seriously benefit from some glass - far too much shit going on at once.

Although, I find it odd that the people who make these things still want to charge people and thus make a profit for it...

Making something like that would incur some hefty costs, particularly if you ticked off the wrong people and they sued your arse (or caused other legal entanglements). Maybe they're just out to recoup some of it? Besides, they're Americans: Yanks would try to make a profit out of breathing if they could think of a way to do it - Capitalism, Consumerism, and Consumption is stamped right into their DNA. ;p There's nothing inherently wrong with charging to see it - but it's going to stop some people from seeing it, and I would have thought that was rather self-defeating.

Edited by Cybes
  • Like 1

SR-71 cockpit explained by Blackbird pilot Richard Graham, goes for about 20 minutes

Frankly, I'm a little surprised I didn't get more seriously wrong. Just the two footnote points:

*If I'm reading those markings properly, if you managed to max out fuel flow on both engines simultaneously, you could drain the fuel tank in 30 seconds! Now, you probably never could get that, but even so - those flow dials are "x1000lbs" with graduations in fives - even minimum indicated for two engines would drain that 90,000lbs tank in 90 minutes. And I bet minimum is exactly what you aren't using at Mach whatever.

**I'm surprised and puzzled by the Liquid Nitrogen tank level gauges at the far right. Firstly, because I didn't know they had any LN on board; second because I can't think what they'd use it for (the air up there is cold enough already, surely?); and thirdly, because there appears to be both gallons and litres dials. Maybe Chrisg has some input?

Boy, those things could seriously benefit from some glass - far too much shit going on at once.

*So, I wasn't, apparently: what I thought was an "M" was actually an "H" - that makes much more sense.

**Huh, so that's what it's for. Makes sense now that I think about it. Though, if the JP7 is so difficult to ignite, how necessary is 'inerting' the tanks? Meh - guys with hands-on obviously thought it was, so I'll go with that.

Eve Online's new gameplay (player-submitted) trailer:

Also watched that today. Spectacular clip.

Trouble is, speaking as an ex-player, it doesn't show you how 99% of the the game plays. Huge combats can be amazing fun, but that's not what you're usually doing.

Actually, there's about 1 second of one guy doing what most people are usually doing: "I'm carrying 100 times what my ship is worth. ... I need to get out of this system!"

Good god how do they remember where everything is and what it does?

Bear in mind: this bird was old before I ever flew, so I've not seen a few of those markings before; and I've never got my mitts on anything bigger than a piston-engined twin, let alone a freakin' Blackbird. However: Most of that stuff is written right on the gauge. eg: Top row: Compressor Inlet Temperature, Airspeed Indicator, Artificial Horizon, Clock & Altimeter, left & right turbine RPM. Straight below the AH is a nav display (ADF/DME/VOR); below the ASI is a Vertical Speed Indicator; right of that is left and right Exhaust Gas Temperature gauges, engine thrust/output in %ge of rated, fuel flow in pounds per minute*; and oil pressure; Left side panel has heating sensor switch and heating controls; landing lights and gear controls (including Liquid Oxygen tank? wow); dunno what the 'spike' stuff is (Mach flight related?); Attitude Indicators for raw/pitch/and yaw; Right side panel has a big fat fuel gauge (90,000lbs apparently); Liquid Nitrogen tank gauges**(!); dunno what "CG" is; fuel tank pressure; fuel transfer pump switches, etc... Stuff down either side of the chair are comm transceivers and nav receivers, then breakers at the back (like fuses, but resettable - they pop up if/when something blows).

Although, I find it odd that the people who make these things still want to charge people and thus make a profit for it...

Making something like that would incur some hefty costs, particularly if you ticked off the wrong people and they sued your arse (or caused other legal entanglements). Maybe they're just out to recoup some of it? Besides, they're Americans: Yanks would try to make a profit out of breathing if they could think of a way to do it - Capitalism, Consumerism, and Consumption is stamped right into their DNA. ;p There's nothing inherently wrong with charging to see it - but it's going to stop some people from seeing it, and I would have thought that was rather self-defeating.

:)

Crazy huh Cybes ?

I've seen the cockpit of a Blackbird although from that I've a suspicion that they were not exactly standardised, or that they've removed some stuff from the display aircraft at Boeing Field - or that that aircraft was a one-off, it purports to be an M-21 shown with the D-21 drone atop.

Haven't had a look at the explanation yet but apart from what you divined the LN2 doesn't surprises me, even at altitude the skin of those birds became very warm and JP-7 vapour is extremely volatile once the stuff is heated up so keeping the tanks pressurised with an inert gas makes sense.

Spike would relate to the intake bullets, they moved fore and aft with speed to change the compression, essentially converting the engines into a ramjet for highest speeds - if you look around you'll find a few references to what happened if a spike got out of sequence - a big "unstart" with the engine ejecting a ball of flame forwards. That would yank the aircraft hard into the affected engine, dramatic but usually controllable although it did cause at least one loss. They fixed it in the end with some pretty crude by today's standards automation.

Like a lot of analogue cockpits quite a few of the indicators are more for comfort factor than anything else, LOX for example, that's for the pilot's breathable atmosphere, common on all high altitude interceptors. Nice to know you still had some left but in practice there was always more than enough for the duration of any flight, including refueling. On aircraft of 50's vintage, Lightning for example, it was one reason the turn-around time was not totally dictated by the time it took to re-arm and refuel, it was replenished from a special tanker :)

The way to think of the cockpit Ali is that it's not all needed at any one time, instruments relating to high-speed cruise in particular are irrelevant at lower speeds. That's pretty much true of most cockpits of supersonics in the analogue era although not to this degree of complexity.

Blackbirds, a glass cockpit would indeed have been nice but instrumentation evolution was out of synch with the aircraft which was WAY ahead of its time. As Cybes notes, this bird was flying in the sixties !!

I wouldn't feel bad Cybes, I was pretty blown away when I saw it in the flesh and if you have a surf around you can find pics of for example the F-4 cockpit, flew those that was enough of a mind-fuck :)

Just by-the-by google up an F-105 cockpit, never flew one but it too is incredibly complex - part of the reason it was used as a transition trainer to the SR-71 I'd guess.

Very interesting indeed.

Cheers

Nom! I gave it 4 chef's hats...

Nice, that makes me want to see it.

Myself?

I'm being suckered into "The Newsroom". Absolutely love it to bits at the moment.

Especially what they did on Reddit (Which I'm a member of.)

Kinda makes me wish that they would offer the entire season for one fee (Like House of Cards) and binge-watch it in one session.

EDIT: Embedded link works, although the author won't allow it to be embedded so you'll have to watch it on YouTube. Bastard.

Edited by krispy89

Nom! I gave it 4 chef's hats...

Not heard of this movie so watched it this evening, Rather a nice little film.

Thanks for that.