scruffy1

What Did You Watch Lately ?

http://iview.abc.net.au/programs/catalyst/SC1502H017S00

Hey Director I linked this Catalyst on meditation and what it does for us, here cos I know you've been doing a bit lately ...

i watched it. but it did make me cringe a bit.

dont get me wrong. their treatment of it was worthy of Catalyst's high standards and scientific focus, but what makes me cringe is that the need to broach this topic from such a decidedly standoffish perspective is still so à la mode.

to me, its the equivalent of a 'news flash' from some anglo saxon person along the lines of: "Hey listen up everyone, based on a growing number of reports from credible sources its becoming harder and harder to ignore the very real possibility that

all that weird looking and weird smelling food the dagos, wops, and greaseballs are eating might actually taste alright" — in 2016. *sigh*

That's the fault of other types of very questionable ' medical ' treatments though. So it's understandable really.

edit: You don't need to be ill to use this exercise /treatment.

I don't think I'll ever be found in a park with a zillion other people off in my own meditative state. More to the

point, I know I won't. As yet my experience of it is the breathing and a little mantra I use when my brain won't turn off

and let me sleep at night. I'm hugely skeptical of lot's of food stuffs I'm not accustomed to thankyouverymuch . And I won't let

others force feed me if I can help it !! :D

Edited by eveln

http://iview.abc.net.au/programs/catalyst/SC1502H017S00

Hey Director I linked this Catalyst on meditation and what it does for us, here cos I know you've been doing a bit lately ...

Thanks for that.

There's lots of evidence starting to come out now along these lines. Here's a short doco on Wim Hof. At some point he gets wired up by several universities and doctors who prove scientifically that he can consciously control his immune response, autonomic nervous system and body temperature. He has a ton of world records too.

"Wim Hof first caught the attention of scientists when he proved he was able to use meditation to stay submerged in ice for 1 hour and 53 minutes without his core body temperature changing. Since then, he’s climbed Mount Everest in his shorts, resisted altitude sickness, completed a marathon in the Namib Desert with no water and proven under a laboratory setting that he’s able to influence his autonomic nervous system and immune system at will.

Almost everything Wim has done was previously thought to be impossible - but he’s not a freak of nature.

To demonstrate that any human can learn his methods, Wim offered to teach Matt Shea and Daisy-May Hudson to climb a freezing cold mountain in their shorts without getting cold. But when Matt and Daisy signed up for the training, they had no idea that the so-called Iceman was planning to lead them on a psychedelic journey across Europe that circled the chasm between science, spirituality and mystery."

I'll give that video a watch a bit later Director, thanks . TBH though, it seems to be taking things to the extreme which

while really fascinating, is not really where I think it's main use could be. Not for me anyway. I know from my itty-bitty

use it can help me. Just wish I'd had more of an interest in it during my formative years and into my mid twenties.

Ahh well ;)

I'll give that video a watch a bit later Director, thanks . TBH though, it seems to be taking things to the extreme which

while really fascinating, is not really where I think it's main use could be. Not for me anyway. I know from my itty-bitty

use it can help me. Just wish I'd had more of an interest in it during my formative years and into my mid twenties.

Ahh well ;)

Yeah the extreme things he has done are only to prove a point. He's more into teaching others to get some level of control themselves these days, though there are plenty of people lining up to do the cold challenges as well. The point of the cold exposure is explained in the vid or other places around the web. I've been following a long with the breathing exercises and cold showers for a few weeks now but I have no desire whatsoever to go skinny dipping in the arctic. :)

How a Top Fuel Dragster Works

This is pretty cool. A Top Fuel Dragster will usually hit 300 mph before the end of each run. The engine virtually destroys itself and is rebuilt with around $5,000 in parts replaced each time. There's no transmission as such, just direct drive by centrifugal thrust onto multiple clutch plates, and they often end up fused together at the end of a run.
Fuel economy equates to about 16 Gallons per mile, each gallon of nitromethane costs about $35.

Plenty more little bits of info there, but one thing they don't explain... how does it reverse?

• Like 1

In the pipe for later... good to see it's coming back for a second series - Jay Leno's Garage

This wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be, a little bit slow to start moving but will watch a few more before deciding.

How a Top Fuel Dragster Works

Plenty more little bits of info there, but one thing they don't explain...

my biggest question is : why ?

still, i am a little strange about pissing petrol to go nowhere - like car racing generally

edit - impressive mechanicals, but i am still asking "why?" despite appreciating why it is addictive... like lots of addictions, there doesn't appear to be any coherent reason to do it to those that don't get hooked

my personal current addiction is discus launch gliders- where the power is me and thermals provided by the sun producing differential heating

no noise, no pollution, lots of skills needed... it's sorta surfing the sky where you have to "see" where the invisible break is forming

Edited by scruffy1

my biggest question is : why ?

still, i am a little strange about pissing petrol to go nowhere - like car racing generally

Answer: "Because." Ever been to the drags, Scruffy? It's ear-shatteringly loud, and the fumes makes your eyes water, and the seating is ++uncomfortable - but there's something about it that gets into your blood. For me and many others, that's not enough to keep you interested for long, but it's undeniable all the same. For some, though, going to a strip on the weekend is all that gets 'em through the week.

And it's not petrol. The stuff that goes into a "top fuel" car is only a little shy of liquid explosive. Until the 60s, there were still people using fucking {i]hydrazine[/i] in their mix, and that shit is explosive - just park it with the sun shining on the tank for an hour and go kick it.

And it's not petrol. The stuff that goes into a "top fuel" car is only a little shy of liquid explosive. Until the 60s, there were still people using fucking {i]hydrazine[/i] in their mix, and that shit is explosive - just park it with the sun shining on the tank for an hour and go kick it.

Mostly Nitromethane (max 90%) with the rest methanol, at least in the US.

Sharpest one for a while. Which is saying something.

• Like 1

This Rocks on many levels, Rhinos and a couple of Sukhjobs or maybe they are Migstakes, anyway well shot and edited, good soundtrack.

Oh and Godrays ....... lots of Godrays + a cameo from The Ghost Who Walks ;-)

Edited by Waltish
  • Like 1

You might remember the last of these I linked, which was the battery&magnet 'electric train'... Well, same sort of nerdy fun, but you need your adult pants - and maybe a life insurance policy!

This Rocks on many levels, Rhinos and a couple of Sukhjobs or maybe they are Migstakes, anyway well shot and edited, good soundtrack.

:)

I do understand why you love the Rhino - Mig 29 is the token Russian inclusion.

That's most likely from the U.S. Mig squadron out in the desert, they've been collecting Migs for years :) Had a little visit once but I'm sort of lips sealed on that one :)

Cheers

• Like 1

This is pretty impressive. I didn't even know they released a vinyl soundtrack, let alone one with a hologram.

This is pretty impressive. I didn't even know they released a vinyl soundtrack, let alone one with a hologram.

No, me either, intriguing table as well :)

Cheers

ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6xcamVTE3Y

I do understand why you love the Rhino - Mig 29 is the token Russian inclusion.

That's most likely from the U.S. Mig squadron out in the desert, they've been collecting Migs for years :) Had a little visit once but I'm sort of lips sealed on that one :)

Cheers

On time on budget best bang for bucks capabilities out the whazoo now can have conformal fuel tanks and an enclosed weapons pod to reduce its already small frontal signature, whats not to love.

But really its not just the subject this is a great clip in terms of production, eg music editing etc etc.

Did you spot the ghost who walks ...... at runtime 8.11

Edited by Waltish