ihateh

New all around build mainly gaming, video encoding, light Photoshop

Hello to everyone,

my main system has became old plus it's showing some problems so I'm looking at building another.

Only the box, no optical drive, I got some SATA 1TB drives, I also would like to use my PSU Corsair HX 650W, is it powerful enough?

I've no idea regarding on how much should I spend but I would think of around $1,800 - 2,000 Intel based, I'll buy from MSY, CPL, Scorptec or Umart mainly because I can pickup, suggestions are welcome.

For the case I like the Corsair 730T or Coolermaster CM690 III (good value for money) your suggestions are welcome.

I prefer with front air intake and big fans for better airflow, no side window plus simple clean design.

Motherboard with at least 6 SATA slots and if possible firewire.

I saw the ASRock Z97 Anniversary, any suggestion again is very welcome.

No overcklocking but no problem if the GPU is already overcklocked.

Thanks in advance.

well here is something to look at

4 core

Intel Core i7 4790K 4-4.4GHz $399

Gigabyte H97 Gaming 3 $135

G.Skill Trident X F3-1600C7D-16GTX 16GB (2x8GB) 7-8-8-24-2N, 1.5V $205

six core

Intel Core i7 5820K 3.3-3.6GHz $449

ASRock X99-Extreme3 $249 (only 4 ram slots)

Crucial CT4K4G4DFS8213 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 $269

8 core

Intel Core i7 5960X Extreme Edition 3-3.5GHz $1209

ASRock X99-Extreme4 $299

G.Skill Ripjaws 4 F4-3000C15Q-16GRR 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 Red $399

GTX 970 4GB $419

Crucial MX100 512GB $269

Astrotek IEEE1394a Firewire 400 PCIe Card $19

Deepcool Gamer Storm Lucifer CPU Cooler $49

Toshiba MD04ACA500 5TB 7200RPM $259

Nanoxia Deep Silence 5 $129

a 500w psu would be heaps for this so you should be fine to reuse your existing psu what model is it exactly?

since you have the budget maybe consider replacing multiple hdd with one or two bigger ones

ASRock Z97 Anniversary is made for the overclockable pentium its vrm are not very good quality i wouldnt like to go running a quad core on it

image.jpg

you could probably hunt around and get some parts cheaper like the gfx card etc but it atleast gives you an idea. but its a rough idea, you can also say you have a water cooled computer

Edited by havabeer

well here is something to look at
4 core
Intel Core i7 4790K 4-4.4GHz $399
Gigabyte H97 Gaming 3 $135
G.Skill Trident X F3-1600C7D-16GTX 16GB (2x8GB) 7-8-8-24-2N, 1.5V $205
six core
Intel Core i7 5820K 3.3-3.6GHz $449
ASRock X99-Extreme3 $249 (only 4 ram slots)
Crucial CT4K4G4DFS8213 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 $269
GTX 970 4GB $419
Crucial MX100 512GB $269
Astrotek IEEE1394a Firewire 400 PCIe Card $19
Deepcool Gamer Storm Lucifer CPU Cooler $49
Toshiba MD04ACA500 5TB 7200RPM $259
Nanoxia Deep Silence 5 $129
a 500w psu would be heaps for this so you should be fine to reuse your existing psu what model is it exactly?
since you have the budget maybe consider replacing multiple hdd with one or two bigger ones
ASRock Z97 Anniversary is made for the overclockable pentium its vrm are not very good quality i wouldnt like to go running a quad core on it

Thanks, I discarded the 8 core system option because I think that it's too much for me also I would like to go the Intel i5 based system because I don't mind if during video encoding or Photoshop I loose some speed but I save money.

So what about the Intel Core i5 4690K?

I like the Gigabyte H97 Gaming though.

The Nanoxia Deep Silence 5 looks "great" but it has side air intake which means less airflow than the front panel intake solution.

I already had a case similar, the Antec, and the airflow may not match with the two cases I suggested.

Is there any particular reasons for suggesting the GTX 970 4GB not the AMD R9 for example?

I think that I can reduce my budget with the i5 solution even so I get less performances but that won't be a huge loss.

image.jpg

you could probably hunt around and get some parts cheaper like the gfx card etc but it atleast gives you an idea. but its a rough idea, you can also say you have a water cooled computer

As I said above regarding the nVidia solution instead the AMD, I read many people say that the R9 290 are the best value for money right now.

No, I would not prefer a water cooled solution.

the gtx 970 has just come out its performing similar to the 290 at 4k and beating it at 1080p while using a lot less power so it will be much easier to keep cool\quiet in a case with a bit less airflow

the air coming in the side of the front panel may restrict it a bit but it helps make it much quieter and provides plenty of airflow for someone that doesnt want to oc

4690 may be a option but 4690k is mostly just for overclocking

4790k has a fair advantage in that its clocked almost 15% higher which will boost games performance as well and then ht boosts rendering performance another 25%

most games are gpu limited and run great on much slower cpu than 4690 but there is a few like arma\ dayz\ total war that want all the cpu power they can get

• Like 1

the gtx 970 has just come out its performing similar to the 290 at 4k and beating it at 1080p while using a lot less power so it will be much easier to keep cool\quiet in a case with a bit less airflow

the air coming in the side of the front panel may restrict it a bit but it helps make it much quieter and provides plenty of airflow for someone that doesnt want to oc

4690 may be a option but 4690k is mostly just for overclocking

4790k has a fair advantage in that its clocked almost 15% higher which will boost games performance as well and then ht boosts rendering performance another 25%

most games are gpu limited and run great on much slower cpu than 4690 but there is a few like arma\ dayz\ total war that want all the cpu power they can get

Thanks I feel that you know what you say and overally users here on Atomic are quite knowleagble so it's hard to argue with. :)

I currently use a Gainward GTX 460 Goes Like Hell so I've no problems staying with nVidia based cards.

Regarding the case you need to be in my room during summer, it's really HOT and fans are just useless.

I'm a big fan of the Coolermaster T05 and for good reasons, the Antec with side front intake was very silent but it struggled cooling the computer (sold it already) while the older and much cheaper Coolermaster (still using it) is doing a great job.

Yes I read from another replay here on Atomic that the 4790K it's a better choice so I think that I'll go this route.

The Gigabyte H97 Gaming you suggested looks really good on the paper and crafted for my system, just I worry it's a release 1 and I know that newest hardware often has problems, so is this board really reliable?

well here is another option for the mb

ASUS Gryphon Z87 $129 5y warranty

being the older chipset it may need a bios update to work with the new cpu but unlike most mb you can update this one without a cpu in it so its not a problem

its cheap to clear old stock

the Gigabyte H97 Gaming 3 uses killer lan which some have reported driver problems with although updates should have improved that

Coolermaster T05 with only one 120mm fan in the rear will be way behind the nanoxia case in cooling capability

it regularly reaches 45c here in the summer and we never use to have aircon so i still cant see why you would have a problem with the nanoxia cases for that system although filling all the hdd bays would hurt airflow a bit and dump some extra heat into the air if there 7200rpm drives all spinning

was your system overheating in the antec case? what was it? a p180?

well here is another option for the mb
ASUS Gryphon Z87 $129 5y warranty
being the older chipset it may need a bios update to work with the new cpu but unlike most mb you can update this one without a cpu in it so its not a problem
its cheap to clear old stock
the Gigabyte H97 Gaming 3 uses killer lan which some have reported driver problems with although updates should have improved that
Coolermaster T05 with only one 120mm fan in the rear will be way behind the nanoxia case in cooling capability
it regularly reaches 45c here in the summer and we never use to have aircon so i still cant see why you would have a problem with the nanoxia cases for that system although filling all the hdd bays would hurt airflow a bit and dump some extra heat into the air if there 7200rpm drives all spinning
was your system overheating in the antec case? what was it? a p180?

The Asus isn't a full ATX also it seems strange to me they used that size to fit 3 GPU's, why not a full ATX?

Also I've became a bit cautious about Asus products, one GPU faulty (fortunately exchanged on the spot) and one motherboard P5K Pro having SATA problems and had no chance to return back.

The Gigabyte looks really good, maybe I should check their web site for firmware and bios updates.

I modded the T05 and put a 100mm intake Noctua plus I was able to squeeze in one more Hard disk (4 in total) and 2 optical drives and some stockings to filter the dust.

The Antec was the Sonata Plus and it came with PSU, not too bad at all.

I currently use a Gainward GTX 460 Goes Like Hell so I've no problems staying with nVidia based cards.

what games/resolution do you play that a 460 still kicks arse?

what games/resolution do you play that a 460 still kicks arse?

1680 x 1050 on a Dell SP2390W.

But I don't play the latest games as I always wait prices drop down. :)

Also you know it depends on game settings especially the graphic ones.

Playing Demigod, Warcraft 3, Stalker series, Sniper Elite 2, Dead Island, Age of Empire 3 Lol :)

Edited by ihateh