Sign in to follow this  
atosniper

External HD?

So I'm looking for an external harddrive to use as a backup for my data. I have an aging one that is about 6-7 years old and figured I'd better get a new one. Looking at about 1TB. Any suggestions for good ones?

TIA

I found it marginally cheaper to buy a 2.5" USB3 case for a laptop drive I also brought. The real bonus for me was knowing that if anything happened to the drive casing, I could just pull it out and mount it internally - something I was burned with on a Toshiba external 2.5" drive, where the USB interface stopped transferring data and it was soldered onto the drive so I couldn't recover the data.

• Like 1

I agree with Nich.

The bonus of a 2.5" drives that you can store it in a safe or offsite at a relative's house if you are away on holiday or get two and alternate your backups occasionally - on on site one off site.

My external drive bay of choice was a Zalman which allows me to mount an ISO and boot from it as if it were a CD. I used a 750GB drive I had spare after a notebook upgraded to an SSD.

I don't use it for backups though as I am doing that to a NAS which in turn gets backed up to standard 4TB USB drives in a dual USB dock. Those get swapped out to somewhere off site.

Who is it that has the removable SATA interface?

One of the external 2.5" USB drives has a 'snap on' SATA connector you can use on ANY drive. Priceless.

My wife bought one a year or two back, and it didn't last long. This isn't a criticism of their reliability, BTW. Rather, we found out that they use a custom connection between the drive and the USB port, meaning that the dead USB port wasn't a trivial fix of pulling the drive out and sliding it into another external case I had lying around.