I think I will get the tech release when it comes out and run it in a virtual to see how it goes. I wonder whether they named it Windows 10 to make it sound closer to OSX.

I think the (classic) start menu housing the live tiles is a great idea.

I'm not against the start screen, but I know I rarely use it on my desktop and I never use the live tiles.

And if I can sync up the layout of the live tiles on my desktop with the ones on my Windows Phone, even better :D

• Like 1

I'm not against the start screen, but I know I rarely use it on my desktop and I never use the live tiles.

And if I can sync up the layout of the live tiles on my desktop with the ones on my Windows Phone, even better :D

I also like the idea of the new start menu. The start screen for me was the worst thing they could have done, and this way people who like one or the other get a bit of a compromise. It seems to bring the best of both interfaces into one.

I am looking at getting a Windows Phone next year when my contract ends. I hadn't thought of that possibility, which has me now wanting the phone and OS even more.

• Like 1

I also like the idea of the new start menu. The start screen for me was the worst thing they could have done, and this way people who like one or the other get a bit of a compromise. It seems to bring the best of both interfaces into one.

I am looking at getting a Windows Phone next year when my contract ends. I hadn't thought of that possibility, which has me now wanting the phone and OS even more.

I just thought of it as I was typing it and glanced over to my phone to see if anything interesting was happening on it ;)

Shouldn't be too long until it's available for download. I think it comes out October 1st in the US which should be sometime today/tonight

Shouldn't be too long until it's available for download. I think it comes out October 1st in the US which should be sometime today/tonight

And it's just about time for me to do a clean install on my desktop ;)

It's going to be buggy as hell when it first comes out though. I wouldn't really use it as my main OS, that's for sure.

Edited by bowlen

It's going to be buggy as hell when it first comes out though. I wouldn't really use it as my main OS, that's for sure.

I'll see what the reports are when it does come out.

You're aware it is a tech preview and not the full OS yeah?

You're aware it is a tech preview and not the full OS yeah?

Yep. I did tech previews for 8. And I think I might have been in on 7's, too.

I installed it in Parallels this morning and had a brief tinker. (Using the Windows 8.1 profile, but had to change the HD image to IDE 0:1)

Gotta say, I like what they've done with the Start menu.

• Like 1

Installed it this morning and have been running it in Hyper-V. I am liking it so far! I like what they've done to CMD (which any tech would use quite a lot).

I am liking the start menu and what they're doing with that. Certainly a lot better than Windows 8.1 (and I'm a fan of that too!). I guess only time will tell. It's still a while away from coming out, so lots of work to be done.

So far so good though!

Used it for ~24 hrs so far , to test what games run or not.

Smooth sailing so far, granted I havn't tried any GFWL dependent games yet...

Edited by Dread Emperor

Anyone else having a play?

I put it on the spare lappy as an install over Windows 8.1, so far I'm not hating it and do not use to use 'start 8' to make the thing workable. It is a bit trickier to get to the local account rather than the online MS one but not too hard to figure it out (you need to go to users and logout). The start menu is customisable so I was able to add links to control panal and personal folders as we're used to. Was able to remove tiles from the right hand side of the start menu but haven't figured how to replace them yet. )edit: there's a pin to start menu option in the right-click menu of the program you want to put there.)Right-clicking didn't do it.

So early days but off to a good start.

Edited by Director
  • Like 1

Used it for ~24 hrs so far , to test what games run or not.

Smooth sailing so far, granted I havn't tried any GFWL dependent games yet...

Are you running this as your main OS?

Anyone tried it with SSD's and new technology items for compatibility.

I wonder if the Atomic Labs will get to test it out.

I put it on the spare lappy as an install over Windows 8.1, so far I'm not hating it and do not need to use 'start 8' to make the thing workable like I did with Windows 8. It is a bit trickier to get to the local account rather than the online MS one but not too hard to figure it out (you need to go to users and logout). The start menu is customisable so I was able to add links to control panal and personal folders as we're used to. Was able to remove tiles from the right hand side of the start menu but haven't figured how to replace them yet. )edit: there's a pin to start menu option in the right-click menu of the program you want to put there.)Right-clicking didn't do it.

So early days but off to a good start.

And yet this one is in the right section! Will move and merge in a bit.

• Like 1

If they keep on improving it over the next 12 months, I will be updating as soon as it comes out! Hopefully there's a nice and easy upgrade path and don't have to reinstall etc.

I'm looking at building a new box around the time it comes out, so, there's that... but I'm mostly hoping to get another supercheap upgrade again like my last one ($25? $15? something ridiculous)