Forum upgrade is live! Read more... ×

Anyone tried it with SSD's and new technology items for compatibility.

I wonder if the Atomic Labs will get to test it out.

As can be guessed, it works fine on a SSD.

I have it on my (old-ish) tablet PC. A core 2 duo era Celeron, 2G of ram and a 128G SSD; it works well, with what I've tested so far (not much).

I have it on my (old-ish) tablet PC. A core 2 duo era Celeron, 2G of ram and a 128G SSD; it works well, with what I've tested so far (not much).

Good news.

What about backup software in the package is their any yet? Like backing up Profiles and email ,cookies and such.

Good news.

What about backup software in the package is their any yet? Like backing up Profiles and email ,cookies and such.

Signing into a Microsoft account keeps some profile stuff, but from what I can gather it's mainly decorative (start bar position, colour themes & desktop backgrounds).

I'm looking at building a new box around the time it comes out, so, there's that... but I'm mostly hoping to get another supercheap upgrade again like my last one ($25? $15? something ridiculous)

'Rumour' has it that it might be a free upgrade at least for windows 8 people, maybe for Windows 7 and XP as well but MS hasn't said yet. Think I only paid $30 for W8 anyway, bought two keys and having it on the desktop for a week took it off and didn't use them again. :)

Now hopefully they can put aero glass back and I'll be happy again.

I'm looking at building a new box around the time it comes out, so, there's that... but I'm mostly hoping to get another supercheap upgrade again like my last one ($25? $15? something ridiculous)

'Rumour' has it that it might be a free upgrade at least for windows 8 people, maybe for Windows 7 and XP as well but MS hasn't said yet. Think I only paid $30 for W8 anyway, bought two keys and having it on the desktop for a week took it off and didn't use them again. :)

Now hopefully they can put aero glass back and I'll be happy again.

That would be good! Free would be great, but then they'd get no money. $30 would be okay.

http://thehackernews.com/2014/10/download-Windows-10-keylogger.html

PERMISSION TO KEYLOG
If you are unaware of Microsoft’s privacy policy, so now you should pay attention to what the policy says. Microsoft is watching your every move on the latest Windows 10 Technical Preview, Thanks to portions of Microsoft's privacy policy, which indicates that the technology giant is using keylogger to collect and use users’ data in a variety of astounding ways without the user being aware.
If you open a file, we may collect information about the file, the application used to open the file, and how long it takes any use [of] it for purposes such as improving performance, or [if you] enter text, we may collect typed characters, we may collect typed characters and use them for purposes such as improving autocomplete and spell check features,” the privacy policy states.
Essentially by accepting the Windows 10 privacy policy you are allowing Microsoft to screen your files and log your keystrokes. This means, if you open a file and type, Microsoft have access to what you type, and the file info within.

OTHER DATA COLLECTION
But Wait! Wait! Not just this, Microsoft says it may collect even more data. The company will be watching your apps for compatibility, and collect voice information when you use speech to text. This information will be used to improve speech processing, according to Microsoft.
"When you acquire, install and use the Program, Microsoft collects information about you, your devices, applications and networks, and your use of those devices, applications and networks," the privacy policy states. "Examples of data we collect include your name, email address, preferences and interests; browsing, search and file history; phone call and SMS data; device configuration and sensor data; and application usage."
Though, technology companies continue to develop a fine line on the issue of privacy and data collection and based on the information which the Microsoft collects, it could have thousands of username and password combinations stored in a database somewhere. But we may well see a public feedback to this newest attempt to mine users data.

Although the feedback being collected in the Windows Technical Preview will only occur within the Technical Preview period, reported by WinBeta. Once Windows 10 launches to the public as RTM, the data Microsoft collects will be removed from the operating system.

It reads to me essentially like metric collection, and what most people with smartphones take for granted - checking words used and frequency of use to generate autocomplete suggestions.

It's hard to test new features being rolled out in tech previews if you can't collect data on them to improve them.

• Like 1

It reads to me essentially like metric collection, and what most people with smartphones take for granted - checking words used and frequency of use to generate autocomplete suggestions.

It's hard to test new features being rolled out in tech previews if you can't collect data on them to improve them.

Yeah sounds like, but still if it keylogs your passwords and stuff....just an FYI for people who might not know.

Is anyone actually using it as their main OS? I have it running as a VM but I haven't really used it at all. Just a quick play around to see what it's like.

I gotta say that Windows 10, which I'm currently using as my main OS, is really responsive to touch on my old HP Pavillion Entertainment PC @ TX2000

Much better than Windows 8 which I've ditched and didn't bother until Windows 8.1.

just installed win10 as my ~2y old win7 install was getting kinda broken... its been stuck on clasic shel for ~6 months

first hurdle was ocz\nvelo dataplex software only suports win7 so im giving primocache a go

it looks good so hopefully it will perform as expected

ocz synapse cache ssd 128g(64g avalible) is setup as a read only l2 cache for a 3tb toshiba os\games drive

toshiba is replacing the 2tb seagate i have been putting up with headparking on which created some nasty stutters

transfering steam at the moment

Edited by Dasa

I don't really want to install the OS on my main machines at the moment, because I know that in a year, I will have to reinstall them again...

I don't really want to install the OS on my main machines at the moment, because I know that in a year, I will have to reinstall them again...

You sure about that?

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/microsoft-windows-update-clean-install,28214.html

That sounds rather good! But it does say that to get the best Windows experience, do to a proper update from 7 or 8.1. Not sold on the idea though.

Edited by bowlen

Anymore updates on Windows 10 ,been looking really good and stable from what i am reading.

Just hope a release date is not far away.

End of next year I thought.

Where's the fucking edit button...

2015 I mean.

Edited by bushi

Hot off the press:

http://www.redmondpie.com/rip-internet-explorer-microsoft-spartan-web-browser-for-windows-10-announced/

http://www.redmondpie.com/its-official-cortana-voice-assistant-for-windows-10-announced/

http://www.redmondpie.com/windows-10-will-be-free-for-windows-8.1-7-and-windows-phone-8.1-users/

The only thing I'm not liking is HAVING to log in with a MS ID before being able to access a lot of the cool features. Not sure about Cortana either in terms of privacy issues, obviously it'll at least need access to a webcam/microphone and will be listening out for commands.....?

Be interesting to see some price on Windows 10 after the Free period ends first too. No way could i commit myself to a period of time without knowing the cost of it.

Logging in with Win8 with a username password was one thing that kept me away. Why lock it down in that fashion seems a bit hardcore.

Well, you can set up a local account when you install it but as I said, they block a lot of the cooler features if you do it that way.

I think this is one reason people are staying to older versions of Windows it seems to have lost it open portability ,by staying offline.

Yeah. I suspect I'm going to be quite conflicted when the time comes. I like W7 a LOT. I don't NEED to be online all the time and I don't NEED to have all my shit synced between my PC and my phone. I don't NEED to have my location tracked. For people who do then it's nice for them to have the option of those things otherwise it's just more bother. Especially when the internet connection is slow or drops out altogether (I'm looking at you NBN! ).