Forum upgrade is live! Read more... ×

Be interesting to see some price on Windows 10 after the Free period ends first too. No way could i commit myself to a period of time without knowing the cost of it.

I paid less than $25 to get Win8 on multiple computers/devices. After that special finished, it went back to the standard Windows pricing.

Pretty sure the same will hold for this - I'll be jumping on as many update keys as I still have Win7 technet keys left to me, as well as my current devices.

• Like 1

Where's the list of cool things which won't be included if you don't use a MS account?

They could be talking about Media Centre and DVD playing ,along with gaming and Network features for gaming.

Media centre wasn't included with Win8 either.

That's it i am sticking with Win 7 ,i use Media centre a lot as i can pump up the sound for my deafness. With normal TV's the speakers tend to vibrate.

Is Windows 10 actually a System OS or just a Wrapper around Windows 8.1 and some updates thrown in.

Have not heard much about device management and detection, and also on Gaming.

Is Windows 7 actually a System OS or just a wrapper around Windows Vista?

Is Windows Vista actually a System OS or just a wrapper around Windows XP?

Is Windows XP actually a System OS or just a wrapper around Windows 2000?

etc

Evolution, not revolution.

• Like 1

Is Windows 7 actually a System OS or just a wrapper around Windows Vista?

Is Windows Vista actually a System OS or just a wrapper around Windows XP?

Is Windows XP actually a System OS or just a wrapper around Windows 2000?

etc

Evolution, not revolution.

No wonder their is so many bugs and security holes in Windows then.

Hmm, not too sure about this latest build........

Cortana don't work in Australia...I guess that an extra charge? 'straya tax again?

And it takes up 1/3 of the taskbar.

And they've norked the Start menu, in previous builds I could customise it now I can't. Though most of the functions I want are right-clickable.

The start bar fly out is not resizeable.

Why does search need to access my webcam?

Edited by Director

Most likely it'll be that they're working on NA accents first, and they'll focus on things like Australian accent processing later on - as per google now and siri rollouts.

Probaly. Still, it's not something I think I'm going to be using and would like to get it off my taskbar. Maybe if we could change the default search from Bing it might be worth a shot...?

edit: OK figured how to get rid of Cortana from the task bar. Right-click the taskbar and click search, then disable.

Still haven't figured out how to change inbuilt search to something other than Bing. Might go digging in the registry today.

Edited by Director

Just heard that Microsoft are releasing Windows 10 on the 29th of July. It will start by sending notifications to those who took part in the trials they get first downloads ,followed various Windows builds.

my Win 8.1 PC and laptop just started to get a "Get Windows 10" icon on the taskbar.. nothing so far on the Win7 machines.

my Win 8.1 PC and laptop just started to get a "Get Windows 10" icon on the taskbar.. nothing so far on the Win7 machines.

Same - yesterday morning. Free 3GB d/l when it's ready, apparently. I'll have some of that. ;)

Same - yesterday morning. Free 3GB d/l when it's ready, apparently. I'll have some of that. ;)

Absolutely.........bring it on

I am not downloading anything until i know the actual cost of having Windows 10. Just saying its a Free Download means nothing ,it will still cost you after using it for a while.

I really should activate my windows 8.1 its been 3 months :P

used my laptops install disk on my desktop (then did my own drivers) and never bothered clicking the 'change CD key' thing to make it legit.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/1/8696949/windows-10-feature-loss

That's probably it. I can understand the issues of mandatory installing of updates for a professional but then again, why didn't you go Pro anyway?

yer, a couple of dealbreakers in that list for sure:

http://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-will-remove-some-features-and-apps-upgrading-windows-7-and-windows-81

I love my gadgets for one thing. And I know quite a few oldies who love their solitaire and do not want the hassle of having to set up an MS account just to be able to get the 'apps'. Looks like I'm staying with W7 for a while longer.

• Like 1

<shrug> There were only three gadgets I used with any frequency... When my last W7 machine died I was forced onto W8.1, and within a few days getting used to it, rolling back just was not worth the effort - even for those. And I haven't used Media Centre practically at all (just until I could get alternatives working).

Compulsory updates kinda presses my Big Brother button fairly hard, but really, when's the last time I even checked the update text - let alone refused one?

BTW: If you have some old thing like Solitaire or Minesweeper you love, just copy the damn .exe over. It still works.

• Like 1