Well, nothing is really stopping you from changing the upgrades anyway...

http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/1/8696949/windows-10-feature-loss

That's probably it. I can understand the issues of mandatory installing of updates for a professional but then again, why didn't you go Pro anyway?

yer, a couple of dealbreakers in that list for sure:

http://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-will-remove-some-features-and-apps-upgrading-windows-7-and-windows-81

I love my gadgets for one thing. And I know quite a few oldies who love their solitaire and do not want the hassle of having to set up an MS account just to be able to get the 'apps'. Looks like I'm staying with W7 for a while longer.

Err, the Microsoft Account isn't that hard to get around. All you have to do is just tell the Store App to just sign in individually instead. Alternatively, don't use the bloody Store at all. Plus, creating a local account isn't that hard as you just mistype your email and tell them to do a local account.

Edited by sora3

You do have to admit though, the days of being able to administer your own devices is gone.

In 1998, you'd have a big button "I want to join up!" or "No, I dont have internet".

But that's just one example.

Imagine if home level routers started forcing DHCP only, no more manual. We'd all expode, but software took away the 'options' so slowly and cleverly, we just accept "If you want to use your computer how you want, just 'break it' (wrong email) and it'll behave.

It shouldnt be a lateral thinking activity to use your computer, even though us IT guys are good at that.

• Like 3

You do have to admit though, the days of being able to administer your own devices is gone.

In 1998, you'd have a big button "I want to join up!" or "No, I dont have internet".

But that's just one example.

Imagine if home level routers started forcing DHCP only, no more manual. We'd all expode, but software took away the 'options' so slowly and cleverly, we just accept "If you want to use your computer how you want, just 'break it' (wrong email) and it'll behave.

It shouldnt be a lateral thinking activity to use your computer, even though us IT guys are good at that.

With Forced updates i am beginning to think is the TPP agreements in this somewhere. If they can force updates and detect it, will they be able to detect what else is on your PC? Its like saying my PC is yours to do with what you want ,or tell me what is pirated and what is not. Or can i use this software or not under your agreements.

Didn't they remove desktop gadgets in win8? And yet I'm still using some for quota management. Assuming it'll still be available for those that really want it, so non-issue.

I don't run any device that'll be upgrading to Win10 Home, so, er, non-issue for me there.

I actually paid for the WMC pack for Win8 - well, I got it while it was free so I didn't have to pay - but I don't think I've ever used it, just played around with its settings once or twice. Non-issue.

Crazy conspiracy thinking is yawn.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/1/8696949/windows-10-feature-loss

That's probably it. I can understand the issues of mandatory installing of updates for a professional but then again, why didn't you go Pro anyway?

yer, a couple of dealbreakers in that list for sure:

http://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-will-remove-some-features-and-apps-upgrading-windows-7-and-windows-81

I love my gadgets for one thing. And I know quite a few oldies who love their solitaire and do not want the hassle of having to set up an MS account just to be able to get the 'apps'. Looks like I'm staying with W7 for a while longer.

I keep a copy of the windows xp games on a flash drive. Just need the exe files and cards.dll and put it in their program files (x86 folder). Shortcuts on desktop and games are sorted.

• Like 1

Cheers.

Anyone having trouble with the 10130 update?

And oh?

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-32658340

Jerry Nixon, a Microsoft development executive, said in a conference speech this week that Windows 10 would be the "last version" of the dominant desktop software.

His comments were echoed by Microsoft which said it would update Windows in future in an "ongoing manner".

Instead of new stand-alone versions, Windows 10 would be improved in regular instalments, the firm said.

Mr Nixon made his comments during Microsoft's Ignite conference held in Chicago this week.

In a statement, Microsoft said Mr Nixon's comments reflected a change in the way that it made its software.

"Windows will be delivered as a service bringing new innovations and updates in an ongoing manner," it said, adding that it expected there to be a "long future" for Windows.

Edited by Director

/snort "Last version". Right. 'Cuz I haven't heard that before.

• Like 1

Software as a service. They've been saying for a while they want to just release new features as they're ready, rather than holding them off for service packs and etc.

Chrome still has version numbers, but effectively it's just Chrome, and the versioning is there for checking feature availability.

The latest version is stuck in an upgrade loop. It's get's to 100% 'preparing' then goes to a black screen and stays there. On forced reboot it reverts to 10122 with the following error 0xc1900101-0x20017

Software as a service.

Possibly a subscription service like office 365?

If so that's really going to piss off a lot of people including me.

Software as a service.

Google Docs is SaaS and free. Doesn't have to be a subscription model.

• Like 1

Anyone know the latest PC specifications for Windows10?

At a guess, I bet it'd run on a Core2Duo, 2GB Ram, and 8Gb HDD space

When they say a MS account is that the same as Live account for games?

Yeah or a hotmail account.

• Like 1

Software as a service.

Exactly like a subscription service (like O365). I guess it depends on how much they charge per month and what you get out of it etc. I pay for O365 to get Hosted Exchange and also Office (2013). I'm happy to pay it as it means constant upgrades and it's not really that much. I'd probably be happy to pay for Windows 10 as a service if they were to do it right, but I guess that would depend on how it works, and whether you could get it bundled with O365.

Exactly like a subscription service (like O365). I guess it depends on how much they charge per month and what you get out of it etc. I pay for O365 to get Hosted Exchange and also Office (2013). I'm happy to pay it as it means constant upgrades and it's not really that much. I'd probably be happy to pay for Windows 10 as a service if they were to do it right, but I guess that would depend on how it works, and whether you could get it bundled with O365.

Problem with this is a lot of home users won't want to pay a subscription as they are in the "I bought it why should I keep paying for it?" mindset. I have enough issues explaining to my customers why they have to renew Security Suite/AV software licences on an annual basis and quite a few dropped Office 365 because of the monthly subscription. They would rather go and buy MS Office at HN or Officeworks.

I think SaaS will meet a hell of a lot of consumer resistance

Windows in a SaaS model I don't think has to have that kind of sub. I mean, think about it: new version comes out every few years and you (normally) pay for it. Recurring sub right there <.>

Windows in a SaaS model I don't think has to have that kind of sub. I mean, think about it: new version comes out every few years and you (normally) pay for it. Recurring sub right there <.<

Honestly, I don't think I've installed an OS update manually since the mid '90s. Changed, reinstalled, recovered, sure - but staying with the same product line and going to the next model..? Not so much. I think each time I've moved to the 'new' version of Windows it's been preinstalled on new hardware.

Which is not to say I didn't pay for it... Just not explicitly. It's always included in the price somewhere.

• Like 1

I found this a little interesting:

RecycleBinHistory.jpg

Note how there's no mention of Windows Vista

Take that, Windows Update! Installed from the latest preview ISO. Like it so far.