Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
PointZeroOne

Alien Isolation

Anyone picked it up?

What do you think?

I haven't got it myself yet, but I did find this just now on the Playstation store regarding pricing...

10647181_754130567967395_417839254930713

Saw a bunch of pics for that purporting to be 4K. Looks pretty damn sweet. I didn't open them up far enough to check the resolution, but I wasn't aware there were any examples of 4K gaming in the wild yet.

Really want it but really busy. Will probably try for a sale over Christmas or Thanksgiving.

I want this game bad, I hope it's scary! Probably wait for a sale though too. The reviews are good and game play is 15+ hrs

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/alien-isolation/user-reviews

Emphasis on Sneaking, if you don't like sneaking, and are more action orientated like me, you may be bored as I've heard some players are... (must not be fans of Alien#1)

However....the immersion factor is HIGH, loving every minute of it, going slow and sneaky is great for me, I'm taking in all the walls, textures,... buttons and memories.

I don't mind all this sneaking, makes it more fun than running in guns blazing.

I have the Alien set on bluray and watch them frequently enough each year or two.

Just so good to have a game about the Alien experience, thats DEAD ON with the imagery and sound factor.

Edited by drawesome

Any word on whether the VR version will be a patch for the original release, or a separate purchase?

Turns out the ps4 version has motion tracking for the camera, so you can use that to peak/lean and it can pic up noise from the mic which can alert the alien. I haven't turned these features on, but they're interesting to have.

• Like 1

"GODDAMNIT KID! You literally made me die in my game!"

Yes and this is why I'm not turning it on, because one of the kids will walk in and start talking to me or something and alert the alien!

That's pretty stupid feature that's gone too far I think for a game like this.

What if there's a bird outside your window that starts making noise when you're just about to get passed a certain difficult part.

Aside from that I'm looking forward to playing this soon.

I fucking love it! This is the Alien game I've been waiting for. Not an FPS clone with a loose Alien theme. By that I mean the things you're shooting are aliens and that's as deep as it gets. This FEELS like an Alien game. It's tense. It's scary. It has me on edge more than any game I can remember playing. When I'm playing it I feel like I did when I first saw the movie.

The gameplay is good, if you like creeping around, trying not to be seen whilst scared shitless. I do. To me, that is what Alien is about at it's core. Being outclassed by a superior creature, with next to no hope of survival. The only thing worse than moving forward with the dim hope of not being brutally ripped apart is staying put and waiting to be surely and ever so brutally ripped apart. Two really shitty options. It's always shat me that the Alien games to date have been FPS games. Bad ones. They don't fit and they certainly don't feel anything like Alien.

The sound is fantastic. Not only from the games sound design perspective, but from the Alien angle as well. I've seen the original film more time than I care to remember, and there is just so much in the sound of this game that I instantly associate with Alien. You literally can't go a minute without hearing something that is unmistakably from the Alien universe.

If the sound is fantastic, then I don't even know what to call the ship design. Both the ship and the space station are so incredibly well done that I'm really at a loss for words. They are perfect. They are Alien. The lighting. The doors. The walls. The buttons. The windows. The pipes. The corridors. The vents. The hypersleep chambers. The dining rooms. The scripted moments. Everything. Perfect.

The ship and space station are the stars of the game. Even if they made another shitty FPS in this environment, I'd still be really fucking impressed. But they didn't. They made a well paced, slow moving, creeping while you shit your pants fest, just like the film. And it's awesome.

A few technical things are 'wrong' with the game and I would have liked then to have been sorted before release. Floating guns left behind from the dead. Strangely jerky cut scenes at the start of the game. A few other minor things.

One thing that did stand out as a major flaw was the Alien itself. It looks great, but it moves wrong. It stands straight up and walks upright all the time. No wall climbing. No crawling. No slithering. It just kind of walks around lol. It just seems strange that with all the effort they obviously put into making this game look, sound and feel as authentic as possible, that they would have such a glaring inconsistency. That said, I'm only maybe 3 or 4 hours in and have only encountered the Alien twice, so maybe it's get more Alien like in it's movement further into the game.

But I'll turn a blind eye to all that, because for me, the rest of the game is perfect. Like I said, the Alien game I've been waiting for ( and I think a lot of others have been, too ). And about damn time.

Edited by disolusiond

I see this for 50 on humble bumble but trying to hold for a bit more of a sale.

Seeing as how that's how much it's going on Steam, yeah hold out on a sale if you're wanting it much cheaper.

Edited by PointZeroOne

Enjoying this. Not sure how far in I am, about to grab a med kit thing from hospital lower levels. 10hrs played so far.

Never really been an Aliens fan, but this game really nails the suspense. Before I aquired the motion tracker thing I was fairly blasae about my movements, but afterwards Im checking that thing every few seconds and often not moving for minutes on end watching a dot on a screen wander about near by.

Oddly, I haven't used any gadgets yet :S

Just sneaking and timing with the occasional flare and med kit use is it atm.

I've been thinking a little more today about the Alien movement. And I've come to the conclusion that it's fine as it is. As the game is a 'kind of' squeal to the original film, not the proceeding hamfests ( No I don't rate them. Any of them. Particularly Prometheus. That film can go and fuck itself. ), then the stand up and walk around style of movement if in keeping with that, because that's how the Alien was seen to move originally. It wasn't till the squeals that we got the wall climbing, slivering action going on. So yeah, one negative point gone. IMO.

installing it now

grabbed a key from ozgameshop $43

Just watching some videos - I didn't realise it had a story and there were human npcs.

Thought it was just all about dodging the alien. This looks really interesting. A lot more than what I've experienced with Shadow of Mordor so far.

Waiting till 2015 to buy and play this, I am also going to get an Oculus Rift for this and the space game I've forgotten the name of.

• Like 1