SonOfNoddy

My PC is still not working...

Hi everybody, my newish PC is not working...

I got some replacement parts for my birthday (today) and they were the ASUS Gryphon Z87 for the motherboard, Intel Pentium 20th Anniversary CPU, the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU cooler and the Gigabyte R9 270 Overclocked for the GPU. When I booted it up outside the case the red DRAM LED was flashing and the red CPU LED alternating its flashing with the DRAM LED, what does this mean? Does it mean that the RAM is dead? What about the CPU, does that mean that it is not initialising? I have put the CPU in following the instructions, putting the gold triangle in the corner that was marked by the CPU cover and I only rested it there then let the cover push it in. Please help me with what is wrong with my newish computer.

the mb doesnt support the cpu out of the box you need to update its bios which you can do easy enough since that mb supports updating the bios even without a cpu unlike most

Yea, I have done that through USB, we only noticed the problems after we updated the BIOS. Doesn't mean that they weren't happening, we just didn't notice them.

does the manual have anything on them?

googling it brings up all sorts of things

faulty hdd\ram\mb

bent socket pins

short from bad installation

loose connection

you may just have to work through it swapping parts

does it or did it ever reach bios to check that the bios version has changed?

No, we never reached the BIOS, I checked the manual on the on-board LEDs and it didn't say anything of use to me, but it might be hidden somewhere else in the book, will try googling it.

I was feeling the bottom of the motherboard to support it and it felt sticky... also I google and nothing came up that I hadn't already tried, I reseated everything (not the CPU, after what I did to my last CPU I don't trust myself...) It might be faulty RAM that is the problem or maybe motherboard, and how do I check for bent pins?

Ensure jumper settings are correct.

Most motherboards have a "Clear CMOS" jumper that usually won't allow startup if set. Clearing CMOS is a good idea if a machine won't start up but remember to set it back to normal.

Some also have a jumper to enable flashing to the BIOS chip, sometimes position won't matter for startup but it's a good idea to set it to a position that disables flashing once you've done the update.

Might be other jumpers too... check positions of them.

Try startup with a minimal system then gradually add stuff once it's working.

triple check you did everything right for the bios to update correctly

try one stick of ram at a time and swapping any parts you can

You may want to check the compatibility of the CPU and the Motherboard too.

I did check the motherboard and CPU compatibility, it works as long as the BIOS for the motherboard is updated, which we did via USB Flashback.

Ensure jumper settings are correct.

Most motherboards have a "Clear CMOS" jumper that usually won't allow startup if set. Clearing CMOS is a good idea if a machine won't start up but remember to set it back to normal.

Some also have a jumper to enable flashing to the BIOS chip, sometimes position won't matter for startup but it's a good idea to set it to a position that disables flashing once you've done the update.

Might be other jumpers too... check positions of them.

Try startup with a minimal system then gradually add stuff once it's working.

I just tried reseting the CMOS jumper and everything stayed the same.

triple check you did everything right for the bios to update correctly

try one stick of ram at a time and swapping any parts you can

Yes we did check everything about updating the BIOS Will try to re-install the update one more time. We just borrowed a stick of RAM to test to see if it was the RAM that was faulty and the same thing is still happening

Edited by SonOfNoddy

Also ensure the BIOS update is for the actual model/revision of your board. Sometimes a board will have several version/revisions through the lifespan and often seperate incompatible BIOSes.

OK... looking at the manual for that board. There's status LEDs for the major components - CPU, Ram, videocard, boot device.

There's also mention about what the beep codes mean. Also take note of the Ram installation recommendation, for single module it says use slot A2 which is the second closest one to the CPU.

Have you tried the replacing the CPU with your old CPU from old system and see what happens. If it works then do Bios Update and put back the New CPU in.

Next thing you mention is something sticky on underneath motherboard could some of the Thermal paste got lodged under the CPU mount?

Also ensure the BIOS update is for the actual model/revision of your board. Sometimes a board will have several version/revisions through the lifespan and often seperate incompatible BIOSes.

OK... looking at the manual for that board. There's status LEDs for the major components - CPU, Ram, videocard, boot device.

There's also mention about what the beep codes mean. Also take note of the Ram installation recommendation, for single module it says use slot A2 which is the second closest one to the CPU.

I am running two 8 gig sticks and I put them in the colour that is the second closest to the CPU (in my case tan coloured one) and we got the latest BIOS for the motherboard model. I just checked the manual and there is nothing about the flash patterns, but it does say that is an error is detected that the LEDs stay light up, not flashing, which must mean that there is no error. That is all there is tho, nothing on flash patterns.

Have you tried the replacing the CPU with your old CPU from old system and see what happens. If it works then do Bios Update and put back the New CPU in.

Next thing you mention is something sticky on underneath motherboard could some of the Thermal paste got lodged under the CPU mount?

My old CPU is dead, read one of my older posts.I went out to the city today, and when I came back it was not sticky anymore, and it was the bottom left hand corner that was sticky, and when I felt it no thermal paste was on my fingers

Edited by SonOfNoddy

nd when I came back it was not sticky anymore, and it was the bottom left hand corner that was sticky, and when I felt it no thermal paste was on my fingers

When a board is sticky like you mentioned its because the board either has a buildup of condensation on it ,or has been repaired and resealed.

It seem you have been sold a board with problems on the cheap ,this is what i am thinking. Either the memory controller is dead or a the Motherboard has had parts replaced and repaired.

If i ever received a sticky motherboard it would go back as the static seal has been broken in the box.

Edited by codecreeper

nd when I came back it was not sticky anymore, and it was the bottom left hand corner that was sticky, and when I felt it no thermal paste was on my fingers

When a board is sticky like you mentioned its because the board either has a buildup of condensation on it ,or has been repaired and resealed.

It seem you have been sold a board with problems on the cheap ,this is what i am thinking. Either the memory controller is dead or a the Motherboard has had parts replaced and repaired.

If i ever received a sticky motherboard it would go back as the static seal has been broken in the box.

Does that mean it has to be returned?

Its up to you. But my advice would be "yes" and make sure the Motherboard box is sealed and the Static sleeve it comes in is not opened.

When buying any hardware check it thoroughly for any defects. If a board is being sold to you "on the cheap" ask why is it so cheap. Then check all connections and the back of board for scrapes and cuts to rails.

And buy from a good shop not a dodgy fly by shop with "Repair PC's" on the Window.

If you are not desperate and have access to another PC order one online from a good online site. Check the PCTA mag for good places and in these forums.

Edited by codecreeper

Its up to you. But my advice would be "yes" and make sure the Motherboard box is sealed and the Static sleeve it comes in is not opened.

When buying any hardware check it thoroughly for any defects. If a board is being sold to you "on the cheap" ask why is it so cheap. Then check all connections and the back of board for scrapes and cuts to rails.

And buy from a good shop not a dodgy fly by shop with "Repair PC's" on the Window.

If you are not desperate and have access to another PC order one online from a good online site. Check the PCTA mag for good places and in these forums.

Ok, how would I return it though, I don't know how to use warranty, there is nothing I could find on ASUS' website.

Ask who ever bought this Motherboard for you where they got it. If it was a shop then they must either replace it or refund it.

If its a Online site then email for a RA number and follow instructions.

Do you know anyone on this site that you can visit to help you ,this might be a good idea.

Ask who ever bought this Motherboard for you where they got it. If it was a shop then they must either replace it or refund it.

Do you know anyone on this site that you can visit to help you ,this might be a good idea.

I have emailed PC Case Gear about getting a replacement for the motherboard, have to wait at least a day because they are not open sunday-saturday.

I have emailed PC Case Gear about getting a replacement for the motherboard, have to wait at least a day because they are not open sunday-saturday.

You may want to ask someone in this forums for advice on Motherboard and CPU matchup. If i remember last edition of PCTA had something about this ,or was it on the frontpage. What ever you do , do some research into what you want and make sure the board will run with the CPU you bought.

Visit a few Hardware sites like TomsHardware ,Anandtech or similar. And do a check on that CPU and games compatibility.

You may want to ask someone in this forums for advice on Motherboard and CPU matchup. If i remember last edition of PCTA had something about this ,or was it on the frontpage. What ever you do , do some research into what you want and make sure the board will run with the CPU you bought.

Visit a few Hardware sites like TomsHardware ,Anandtech or similar. And do a check on that CPU and games compatibility.

I checked the CPU and mobo compatibility and the only problem with them was that the motherboard needed a BIOS update before it could work with the CPU, which I id using USB Flashback.

the asus rep on that forum replied to the post there see if his answer helps

I just turned it back on and now the CPU LED is lit up, not changing, just being lit up. What are the causes of this? What could I do to fix this?