SonOfNoddy

My PC is still not working...

Hello! I have to say that all the parts are working and every thing is fine...I wish, the computer isn't picking up a boot device, when I plug a HDD into it it just boots strait into the UEFI BIOS and when I go to check if the computer has detected it is shows "SATA_0: Not Detected" and when I feel the drive, it is getting hot, but it isn't spinning, same thing happens with an optical drive (with a bootable install disk inside) apart from that everything is working. Is this a common problem or is the SATA ports dead? or are the HDDs dead?!?! What is happening?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!

ohhhhh dear.....

Remind me, what PSU are you using?

Also, I'm pretty sure this went away a long time ago.... but you're HDD"s dont have BOTH ATX (old square) power connectors, AND new SATA (slim) power connectors do they?

If so, you didnt plug both in did you? If you did, its likely fried.

A drive getting hot but not spinning is unlikely, its more likely its quiet. Because the heat on the top plate is 100% from motor. If it was a microchip trying to Chernobyl on you, iy'd be super hot on the under side and cool to the touch on top.

Try another SATA port, you dont have to use 0.

ohhhhh dear.....

Remind me, what PSU are you using?

Also, I'm pretty sure this went away a long time ago.... but you're HDD"s dont have BOTH ATX (old square) power connectors, AND new SATA (slim) power connectors do they?

If so, you didnt plug both in did you? If you did, its likely fried.

A drive getting hot but not spinning is unlikely, its more likely its quiet. Because the heat on the top plate is 100% from motor. If it was a microchip trying to Chernobyl on you, iy'd be super hot on the under side and cool to the touch on top.

Try another SATA port, you dont have to use 0.

I am using a 850W PSU (cooler master silent pro), they are 5 years old and have worked with the PSU before, they have SATA slim power connectors. and I did try another port, I tried all of them. and I re-tried my optical drive and that worked.

Edited by SonOfNoddy

I'd wager a bad cable before I said dead drive. I've had so many dodgy SATA cables its not funny.

Try another cable, and if its gone, and the HDD doesnt show in any ports, then the hdd is cactus.

This is why you SSD :P

I'd wager a bad cable before I said dead drive. I've had so many dodgy SATA cables its not funny.

Try another cable, and if its gone, and the HDD doesnt show in any ports, then the hdd is cactus.

This is why you SSD :P

I already had an SSD being posted to me before this happened. I tested ALL the cables in ALL the ports and still nothing.

What's with all this 'posting' isnt there an MSY or an MLN nearby to pick up? would make faulty exchanges one hell of a lot easier.

I've never heard anything quite so unlucky.

Can you find another computer and check HDD to see if its still ,OK.

And maybe check manual to see if any jumpers have been knocked out of position. Kinda sounds like it was detected in Raid mode ,and the spinning up was trying to detect the other drive.

There are no jumpers on the back. Will try to find another computer to test with, I will try to combine the two drives I have and see if it will boot up with them both connected.

I tried to boot up with both drives connected. Dad says they weren't setup in RAID. He says that one drive was for the OS (of course) and one for storage so that if something went wrong (Like now) he would still have all of his files (Didn't really work tho :P)

Hello! I have gotten an SSD and am trying to boot into the windows installer, but I don't know how...It has detected the SSD and disk drive, but doesn't see any of them as a boot device. PLAS HALP!!! I would like to get this working as soon as possible.

in the bios set the dvd as the first boot drive then the ssd as the second boot drive then install windows to it

once installed make the ssd the primary drive again but even if you dont it should just give you the option to skip booting from the dvd at startup if windows installed successfully

you know how to enter bios? i dont know my way around the asrock bios but it shouldnt be to hard

It isn't in the manual...

I reset the CMOS and then the settings that weren't there, were there, I set the boot priorities and now it should be working, just waiting for it to boot up into the OS installer.

It says "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key" I have the windows 7 Install disk in the optical drive and have the optical drive selected as the main boot device, did I do something wrong?

not that i can think of unless you pressed a key to skip booting from odd

odd that you needed to reset the bios to make that appear maybe try update the bios it seems something isnt right :(

try another odd\sata cable? or try install windows from usb

Edited by Dasa

I switched to a USB disk drive and it came up as

"

oot Manager

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert your windows installation disk and restart your computer.

2. Choose your language settings, and then click 'Next.'

3. Click 'Repair you computer.'

If you do not have this disk, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistace.

Info: the boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible.

ENTER=Continue

"

My friend is coming over on Friday with windows on a USB (we gonna try 7 and 10) because I am to potato to figure it out...Will update you then.

Hello! I am posting this from my new windows 7 install on my computer, I installed the OS via USB and am loving it, thanks for all the help you guys gave me anyway :)