Sign in to follow this  
Director

Asrock APP charger?

most mb can charge when off some have a jumper to turn it on or off

i think the fast charge is for usb3 devices only

I cant speak for the modern ones, but their original design simply had a fuse bypass and allowed 2A or something similar to pass through the port; Acer laptops do it full time (a 1.5A usb port that stays powered when off).

As for the newer incarnations? I cant say; it might be looking for the 2.1v on the data +/- lines to confirm its an apple device, it might not.

That said; I doubt it will fail to charge; its just the 'fast charge' feature I'm questioning; not the power when off.

OK, thanks.

I haven't had 'app charger' installed and the phone definitely wasn't charging with the PC powered down. Have installed it today so I'll see what happens I guess. :)

Devices were supposed to "request" for more than 500 mA if they needed it according to the original USB specifications.

Of course, many didn't. Most boards would support more amperage, then the modern trend came into being which allow standby/off charging.

My guess would be that the fast-charge on standby/off is probably a case of the device sending a request for greater current. Entirely possible it might provide 1-1.2 Amps by default and jump to around 2 if the device asks for it.

Good test would be something like a Nexus 7 - it's got a 2 Amp charger and takes literally all night to recharge if powered up and attached to a low power USB port or 500 mA charger.

• Like 1

Update: So yeah, I installed 'app charger' and now my usb thingies will charge with the PC powered down, so all is good. The way that Asrock worded it made it sound like it was something specific to Apple products. :)

• Like 1