Sign in to follow this  
Mr.Twinkie

I want a new mp3 player... in 2014.

So I lost my ipod nano last week. The funeral date is still to be decided.

I really do love my music. I have over 70 gigabites of music and that doesn't include FLAC tunes. My wide range of music genres and studying and playing of music really make it somewhat of my life.

And so I come a replacement. It's kind of disturbing how much grief i felt losing an ipod to what seemed to be my life partner given I use it everyday. But okay enough about my woes. A replacement is hard.

I am somewhat of an audiophile and I do not want to use my smartphone. I want big storage and i want decent portability especially in gym and running.

The prospects I found was:

• the obvious ipod touch 5 64gb. (I was hoping the ipod touch 6 was going to be released at the recent apple ipad event but no sadface)
  • Sony walkman nwz-zxi (big storage and great sound quality) DAMN THAT PRICE
  • I dunno what else TOO BAD THE iPOD CLASSIC IS NOW A COLLECTOR'S ITEM!

So any suggestions guys? remember storage and personalisation is key. I don't want to spend more money than I have to but i really want a good long lasting mp3 player.

Edited by Mr.Twinkie

Cowon were the bees knees before smartphones took off. These days I'd just get a SGS5, since they have Wolfson DACs and removable storage.

But let's be honest, you aren't going to hear the difference when running or working out.

• Like 1

I have a Cowon X7...which I can't find available any more...

Still, I was hesitant to wholeheartedly recommend. It has great storage, sound etc, but the touch interface leaves much to be desired...

Having said that, I've never found a decent replacement in the same storage size/price range

I'll be interested to see how you go!

I had a quick look and the Fiio X1 seems up your alley. Just chuck a massive SD card in it.

Or if your pockets are deep enough...

That Cowon is definitely on the list when the lottery comes through!

I'm after one too.

Does anyone make a decent Android iPod equivalent? IOS and I aren't friends so iPods just aren't an option for me.

they're a rare beasty nowadays.

as Cyber said, there are a few good phones with 'quality' dac's in them, but really, when I think MP3 i think portable and tiny. like, jog and thin you lost it tiny.

I'd personally just get an ebay cheapie (that lists what DAC it uses) and requires a microSD.

How about a Sandisk SANSA? they're still around and VERY popular

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SanDisk-Sansa-Clip-Plus-Black-8GB-Digital-Media-Player-Genuine-NEW-in-a-box-/261182002420?pt=AU_MP3_Players&hash=item3ccfa914f4

they rate highly; I think they're ROCKBOX compatible, and despite it saying 'expandable up to 32gb'; as long as you use 32KB clusters, you'll usually get away with up to 128GB of storage added; just gotta format it using a tool other than windows.

Samsung used to, but there honestly no point when you already have a phone.

Yeah except the size.

Most people I know want or need an MP3 player to be small these days.

Been looking into it, and I'm going to second my own suggestion; now that i've done some research. get the Clip+

sansa_clipplus_4.jpg

sansa_clipplus_3.jpg

• 24.00 MHz crystal
  • SoC: 20-82-00196-4 : S927-792047 : SA0342-8
  • FM: 0219 CJLV 923 = SiLabs Si4702
  • FM: some Sansa Clip+ players use an RDA5802 from RDA Microelectronics.
  • Memory: X92930301 : SDTNMMAHSM-002G : CP0211708SS

Results from a sound testing Suite:

• Frequency Response: Ruler flat from 10 hz to 20 Khz and very accurate
  • Distortion: Below 0.05% which most agree is inaudible
  • Maximum Output: About 15 mW--higher than average
  • Output Impedance: An extremely impressive 1 ohm (dedicated headphone amp territory)
  • DAC Performance: Impressive and better than many players costing several times more

and a VERY in depth review here;

http://nwavguy.blogspot.com.au/2011/02/sansa-clip-measured.html

The fact its Drag and Drop compatible, handles FLAC, has a full function ROCKBOX port, and has amazing sound quality is enough to win me over.

Also that nice accessible 3 cable battery connection (even though its soldered) means in years to come when it starts to drop life, a snip and splice will be all thats needed rather than a re-solder.

Maybe I'll order one for the Gym....

Edited by Master_Scythe

Wow Master Scythe, that review is in depth alright. I enjoyed reading it especially with all the Apple rants. Whilst I can no doubt appreciate the merit of such a device. I want one that is just more...personal and to more capacity. I want a new life partner in music playing portable form that will make my romantic partner jealous with looks and elegance.

What I loved about Apple products is certainly their psychological factor. The fact that I can store songs that can be sorted with play counts and playlists gives me a real sentimental good feeling. Like the songs that had play counts of 800 and 400 which I loved back when i was an adolsescent to the much more different stuff i listened to these days which is racking up on the top 25 most played list. Too bad all that data is gone now lost in the wilderness of the shire... But it's that feeling of personal growing and continuity ya dig? But i appreciate the effort into the suggestion!

The NWZ -A17 looks very promising. Just couldn't seem to find a release date.

My friend messaged me a Pono. Are they decent for their price?

Wow Master Scythe, that review is in depth alright. I enjoyed reading it especially with all the Apple rants. Whilst I can no doubt appreciate the merit of such a device. I want one that is just more...personal and to more capacity. I want a new life partner in music playing portable form that will make my romantic partner jealous with looks and elegance.

In that case, back to Cybers suggestion of a Samsung Galaxy S5

Edited by Master_Scythe

That Pono I think is pretty overpriced.

Mademan, your Sony Walkman recommendation looks phenomenal. I can't wait to get it.

lol pono, was wondering when that'd get a mention.

Are you using this for actual specific alone time with you and music and a nice pair of cans? Or it's music for on the go with background noise, and when you're huffing and puffing?

Good question, I should've been more specific.

I do have a set of Sennheiser momentum over ear cans which are beast. I think its more me, my music and the cans as I travel to alot of variable places on my own. Gym does come too but I'm thinking of investing a pair of fitness earphones instead of crapping all that sweat on the beautiful premium headphones.

Sony make a few different in-ear type ear phones with built-in mp3 players for exercise. Not sure what they're like audio quality wise (I doubt you'll be getting FLAC support at $199), but they are waterproof - you can even go swimming with them.

just to give an actual short review; What I like about the porta pros is their low weight; making jogging and rollerblading perfectly fine.

Multi contact points means they dont slide around.

And the clamp pressure, while a LITTLE higher than usual, is comfortable for up to 2-3 hours I find.

Not to mention the quality of sound!

• Like 1

That looks relaly nice Scythe. I'll be sure to find one on ebay when i get the money.

My friend is going to buy me the sony walkman NWZ-a17 for my christmas present when she goes to her american scholarship this fall. Can't wait.

I've seen the NWZ-A15 in a few JB HiFi stores, it's the cheaper version of the A17 with 16GB of built-in storage rather than 64GB, but still has a MicroSD card slot.

I've seen the NWZ-A15 in a few JB HiFi stores, it's the cheaper version of the A17 with 16GB of built-in storage rather than 64GB, but still has a MicroSD card slot.

Thanks for bringing that up! I have seen it beginning to be on sale on ebay and other au online places but didn't check physical retailers.

Given that I plan to buy this thing for the long haul. I think I'm willing to buy the A17 just on the basis of extra memory. I have already won an auction on ebay for a 128gb sd for only 27 bucks! Who knows how big flac and high resolution songs will take. I have too much music anyways.

Let's hope JB can sell a a17 soon.