Sign in to follow this  
TazDCassar

Windows 7 vs Windows 8.1

Don't know if this has been posted before but I was just wondering what is the better of the two. Im not really into touchscreens which is what Windows 8 is all about? As I am thinking about buying a new PC given that my computer crashes every time a play a comp game. Isnt it useful for just IPad's? (my comp is about 5 years old) Thanks.

I would stick with Windows 7.1 for a comp that old.

You may have some hardware incompatibilities with 8.1 as your comp is 5 years old ,almost the same as my PC a DDR2.

Don't know if this has been posted before but I was just wondering what is the better of the two. Im not really into touchscreens which is what Windows 8 is all about? As I am thinking about buying a new PC given that my computer crashes every time a play a comp game. Isnt it useful for just IPad's? (my comp is about 5 years old) Thanks.

You may have some hardware incompatibilities with 8.1 as your comp is 5 years old ,almost the same as my PC a DDR2.

He said he wants a new one, code.

Yes, OP, 8 (or more precisely 8.1) is a Good Thing. Now. Took a while to stop being an apparently tablet-only POS, but it's now a rock-solid OS. I've had 8.1 on my (new then) laptop for 6 months, and it's crashed to desktop maybe a dozen times - and totally not at all

Edited by Cybes

I don't have any issues with Windows 8.1. And you will find that it has some benefits when using an SSD over Windows 7. If you were to build a new machine, it would be a no brainer to get the latest OS (8.1) and then when the time comes next year, upgrade directly to Windows 10. Upgrading to 10 from 7 will require a reinstall. You should be able to do it rather easily if you're on 8.1.

That's what this is for. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-au/windows-8/upgrade-assistant-download-online-faq

I just installed 8.1 on an old Dell Inspiron 640M notebook (approx 2006 vintage) with no dramas, everything works except the media direct button which needs a special partition with Dells software installed for it to work. As Media Direct was always a POS that crashed continually no big loss.

Core Duo T2300 32 bit cpu, upgraded 250Gb HDD from 80Gb and ram from 1Gb to 2Gb, intel gfx. No touch screen of course.

Windows 8.1 found all the drivers needed through windows update.

I don't have any issues with Windows 8.1. And you will find that it has some benefits when using an SSD over Windows 7. If you were to build a new machine, it would be a no brainer to get the latest OS (8.1) and then when the time comes next year, upgrade directly to Windows 10. Upgrading to 10 from 7 will require a reinstall. You should be able to do it rather easily if you're on 8.1.

Still not a huge fan of the interface in some respects, but yes it is stable and seems to be even more efficient hardware wise than Win 7. It has been running perfectly on my Gigabyte T1125P notebook (came with Win 7 pro) since Win 8.0 was released (desktop is still Win 7).

8.1 for sure.

Its faster, more stable, and handles new hardware features better. If it was 7 vs 8; well I'd call 8 buggy. But 8.1 (just like Vista SP4) is 100% perfectly stable and fast.

Really, once you turn off 'hot corners' and shiz like that, you have a normal ' faster windows 7 computer with a full screen start menu'. That's about it.

There is no reason to slow yourself down with an old OS that cant do a few cool tricks with new hardware.

Not to mention, a sub 4 minute install time.

Be sure to get 64bit.

Just like windows 7, microsoft put significant effort inot their 32bit emulation; ensuring everything works.

But on the 32bit version, they just assumed it would... and it doesn't..... dame bugs as windows 7 has in 32bit land.

• Like 1

I can honestly not see a point of getting a new machine and putting Windows 7 on it for personal use (ie non corporate environment). Defs go 8.1

Ill have to agree with what the others have said here on the thread. To be honest, 8.1 is BY FAR the most stable of the Windows versions that I have used. Just the other day, I was waiting for my computer to tick over to 30days straight operation without a reboot so that I could take a screen capture of it on post it here for the guys that say that its a crappy OS. However, there was a 20 minute power outage in my area on the 28th day and so ended my wait. Stability wise, and Ill reiterate again, its the most stable OS MS has produced to date.

Ill also agree with those who are against the Metro/Modern UI. Technically, its a piece of crap. Almost all the apps I have used there are limited in what they can do in comparison to their full desktop brethren. I got around that by just setting it so that it boots up on to desktop instead of the crap UI.

Having said that however, I have written a few apps privately for certain hardware and whatnot that run the home. In that particular instance, it does wonderfully.

To be honest, I think MS just wanted to get into the tablet game and rushed windows 8 into service. Truthfully, apart from the UI itself, there is nothing wrong with the Windows 8 or 8.1, at least nothing with a bit of configuration, which isn't hard at all, can fix. I just really couldn't understand all the hubbub that was caused by the disappearance of the Start button and bar. Most, if not all of us, are pretty much power users or at least have years of experience in the computing world if not just loads of experience with computing and OSs. So, by all means, make the jump to 8.1 but Windows 10 might make and appearance depending on when you decide to change OSs.

• Like 1

Here you go! 44 days up time on 8.1 - some microserver used as a backup server.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3flqcjoqk1moqoi/Windows%208.1%20Up%20Time.JPG?dl=0

Damn dude. You've overtaken my previous best by at least 10 days. It still amazes me how stable Windows 8 and 8.1 have been since its release, albeit with the inclusion of the Modern/Metro UI. Far, far more stable even in comparison with Windows 7.

Edited by strifus

I've seen a lot higher though. Although with that being said, my highest on Windows 7 was 200 days. Was my old work computer.

Too stable.

The memory error handling is annoyingly good; I've mentioned it before, but an entire faulty stick of ram resulted in the OCCASIONAL program 'instant quit' never a BSOD, never a corrupt file... just occasional web browser gone; reload it....

Took me almost 2 days to solve that for a client. Before I knew how good it was I was just so certain "The PC is too stable during stress tests to be ram...." shows what i knew! lol

Windows 8 requires a CPU supporting SSE2, NX and PAE which excludes 32-bit Athlons and older Pentium 4s.

Windows 8 requires a CPU supporting SSE2, NX and PAE which excludes 32-bit Athlons and older Pentium 4s.

a large majority of internet pages require more than that! I know obsolescence sucks, but those truly are overly old.

I can find any of those users FREE C2D systems....

Windows 8.1, hands down. Lower hardware reqs, and better driver support for (my) older hardware than 7, when both are out of the box.

Plus, much improved task manager.

• Like 1

Plus, much improved task manager.

But an annoyingly crippled msconfig.

Would it have killed them to double up the tools? It bugs me every time that the 'startup' tab is still there, but just says 'go to task manager'. Lazy! (both me, not wanting a new app, and them, for not intergrating old features)

People like to whinge.

I used to whinge about Win8 being designed for tablets etc until I actually tried it.

It's good.

A mouse cursor is just as capable of clicking on the tiles as a finger on a touch screen is.

• Like 1

I like how with Windows 10, they're bringing back all the good things of Windows 7 that they took out for Windows 8...I think that's going to be the OS that people have for as long as they had XP for.

I have to say, that MS under Steve Ballmer was a wreck. It had no direction and no leadership. Its business strategy was also similarly directionless. And the purchase of Nokia??

Now that Bill Gates its back in the company in some capacity dealing with something, I hope to see MS go forward and I think Windows 10 shows it, rather than MS bowing to consumer demands in creating it.

Yeah that was ridiculously broad. sorry, its just such a well known issue (especially at my work) that we've just started saying "Profiles" to questions.

What I should have said is 'Profile management' or 'backward compatible profiles'

Windows 8 would 'upgrade' a roaming profile if you logged into it, to a format that is no longer windows 7 (or server 208, even if thats who's supplying it) compatible.

Also, while it appears to have no reason to not work with standard user profiles, we were able to quite easily replicate a bug, where if you'd used a machine before, then hadn't for a few weeks, rather than updating your policy's it'd see the user existed, fail the profile creation (file already exists) and log you in with a temporary account.

After much yelling and screaming, as well as owning up that I'd broken procedure and upgraded one of the devices to 8.1 (and resolved it), it was agreed 8.1 would be rolled out that day (imagine that, corporate government IT group approving a rollout in one day, lol).

8 fucked a lot up for domain users, a quick google will highlight tens of issues.

8.1 glued some missing bits on, which made it usable (and I still like 8.1 to this day).

But 8 vs 10? No competition.

I'm really hoping they 'repair' MSconfig......

I'd also love a classic Task Manager, OR since they own sysinternals, make process explorer the default.

• Like 1