Sign in to follow this  
Master_Scythe

Anyone used a Gigabyte R3 lappy?

Specifically; R3-750F-4701P

http://www.gigabyte.com.au/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5181#sp

It's pretty new and there arent ant reviews yet, but for $1k flat, its a pretty good deal. 1.6kg with dedicated graphics, i7 haswell, HD+900 (preferred over 1080 on 14" for me).... no complaints on specs alone... but I need more before deciding.

Edited by Master_Scythe

$1099

CPU: Intel 4th Gen. i7-4510U 2.0GHz(Turbo 3.1GHz)
64bit OS:Win.7 Pro + Win 8.1 Pro(Licensed)
RAM: 8GBDDR3 1600
HDD: 1TB SATA
Graphic: Nvidia GT 750M Graphics 2GB
Screen: HD-Plus(13.8”)LED Screen (900p)
*2yrs Warranty
*Gigabit Lan *D-Sub *HDMI *USB3.0
*WiFi-N *Bluetooth*Card Reader*Dolby Digital Plus Home Theater
*1.59kg
R3-750F-4701P

Stupid Gigabyte seems to be stuffing up takes me round in circles over and over again, asking me to set language and region. Same result in FF and IE.

I have had a little T1125P convertible notebook for some years and it seems ok build wise, just wish it had a higher res screen (1366 x 768 is crap these days)

Edited by aliali

Stupid Gigabyte seems to be stuffing up takes me round in circles over and over again, asking me to set language and region. Same result in FF and IE.

I have had a little T1125P convertible notebook for some years and it seems ok build wise, just wish it had a higher res screen (1366 x 768 is crap these days)

Looks like they fixed it

http://www.gigabyte.com.au/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5181#kf

Ok I personally I would not buy it. Mostly good but to get the touch screen you are limited to 1366 x 768 res. If you go the non-touch version then it's ok at 1600 x 900.

You really don't want the lower res screen. So if you also want a touch screen you will have to keep looking for something better.

a touch screen is a cool thing to have; but it has too many down sides.

Glare, weight, fragile, cost, brightness-loss.

I'd be going the non-touch. About the only advantage I can see to touch (over a multi touch track pad) is that I could play OSU! on it, rather than my tablet. meh. I still have stepmania for a portable game.

x900p is my honest sweet spot with bad eyes; 1080p is 'fine' but I always want to minorly scale some things; which is never perfect.

x768p like my current laptop is actually perfectly fine for viewing and text; but as my prescription gets more positive SIL and SPHERE I can start to see some jaggies. Never enough to turn me off them; but enough.

I use a 19" monitor at work, with a 1600x900 display, and I genuinely can't fault it.

Oops forgot about your eyesight issue, silly me. I quite like the touch screen for some things on my T1125P, but the low res annoys me because I have to side scroll on some web sites.

Grrrrrr.

mmm the "DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM, OnBoard Memory GB , 1x DIMM socket" worries me unless they mean 1 stick is permanent (soldered in) and there is a spare DIMM slot.

Also have no idea how you can get it for that price. Seems to be $1500.00 plus

Also Cnet reckons it has poor battery life.

http://www.cnet.com/au/products/asus-zenbook-ux32vd/

Personally I am brand agnostic and sort out what I need feature wise then start searching, hoping I can find something in my price range with the bits I want.

• Like 1

Yes, they do mean one soldered, one normal DIMM.

It's second hand. I have no problems with that.

The other option of course is from DELL refurbished;

Latitude 3440 4th Gen Intel Core i5-4310U Processor (2.0 GHz, 3MB Cache, Dual Core)

4GB (1x4GB) 1600MHz DDR3L Memory

500GB 5400 rpm SATA Hard Drive

Windows 7 Professional, English, 64bit (includes Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit License and Media)

Internal / Non-Swappable Tray Load 8X DVD+/-RW

Dell Wireless-N 1705 @ 2.4GHz + Bluetooth 4.0

Intel HD Graphics 4400

Royalty for Waves MaxxAudio® 4

6-Cell Battery (65 WHr)

65W AC Adapter, 3-pin

14.0" HD+ (1600x900) Anti-Glare WLED-backlit

$ 649

I'd add another 4GB of RAM for dual chanel on the HD4400, and a small SSD (128gb) for speed; and it could be sweet.

Just cant find DOTA2 benchmarks on a 4310U. but the 4200U seems to 'work' at lower settings.

If Windows wasn't horribly inconsistent at high-DPI UI scaling, it wouldn't matter that the panel's physical resolution was.

• Like 1

So I went and had a look at it in person.

keyboard is nice; not great, but nice.

It however, is NOT backlit, despite Gigabytes download manual explaining how to turn the backlight on and off (the hell?).

The screen is 'Polished Matte' so very smooth, but completely non reflective.

The weight is nice, but not as amazing as I expected. The difference between 1.6kg, and 2.55kg is nothing! They'd both be a bitch to carry long distances without a car, and when I travel my bags are never '1kg close' to the limit....

I think my reservations on weight just went out the window.

The thin was nice though......

The I had what I feared; even if I bought it, its $1k worth of equipment! what if I drop it! sit on it? get it wet?

It's too much money I think.... My best bet will be something cheaper; but there has to be a sweet spot somewhere.....

and after some strong contemplation; I think I'm going to get it :P

It may be expensive, but its 'the right one'. and sometimes thats worth the money.

It may be expensive, but its 'the right one'. and sometimes thats worth the money.

Yep, if it's right then it's right no two ways about it.

Yep, if it's right then it's right no two ways about it.

Really, there isn't going to be a 'perfect one' for me.

This one should really have something a little better than a GT750M, it should also have backlit keys.

Their next model does, but its ANOTHER $300, and goes to 1080p, which on a laptop I reallllly don't think is ideal.

I've been looking every day for about 9 months, and this is the closest winner so far.

I take it the clevo type laptops didn't offer the size/screen res you were after?

yes, two do. But not cost effective by comparison.

PioneerComputers do a 14" for $800-ish; but no GPU and 600g heavier.

and Logicalblueone has an awesome QHD laptop; but the reviews say ( while 1600x900 would be 'double pixel native') the screen is TERRIBLE with any lighting.

I still check them all every 6 hours or so to look for deals :)

• Like 1

Isn't LBO based in Brisbane, or one of the other clevo builders? Go visit them and look at the screen yourself : p

LBO is at the sunshine coast; so just under 2 hours drive away.

Its another 200 bucks too and I KNOW the screen is gloss (r3 is polished matt)