-M-

Long time no see, Atomic! What's changed in your life the last five years?

Thanks to Nich I am here for the first time in I don't even remember how long. So, hi! There are a lot of names still around that I recognise. Atomic must have the highest longevity of any community on the internet, I think.

To make this thread actually have some content: I was trying to remember when I was last here and it struck just how much has changed in my life since then. I finished uni (twice), moved to Sweden, have an actual full-time job for the first time and am all around quite a different person than I was back then. So to pick a nice round number, what's happened to you in the last five years? Is your life radically different like mine or has it stayed much the same? And either way, do you think that's a good or bad thing?

• Like 6

I'm afraid I don't remember your handle, -M-. However, welcome back! And I hope you choose to stick around for a bit again - god knows we can use the traffic. ;)

To answer the question: 'bout all that's happened in my neck o' the woods worth mentioning has been moving from Adelaide to Mt Gambier about 6-7 months ago. Apart from that, it's just been regular 'life'-type stuff... buying the odd new appliance of game, etc. And yeah, I think that's all been good: I've had my fill of 'exciting', and didn't care for it much - it largely involved lots of fear, crying, and a healthy dose of screaming agony. :P

I've had my fill of 'exciting', and didn't care for it much - it largely involved lots of fear, crying, and a healthy dose of screaming agony. :P

Look, I tried to make it romantic for you. It's not my fault you forgot the safeword.

• Like 1

Look, I tried to make it romantic for you. It's not my fault you forgot the safeword.

FFS, man! Who uses "safeword" for the safeword?!

;)

It used to be said they never leave, hi -M- :)

Too much been going on in my life in five years, some good, some bad but still here :)

Cheers

I've had my fill of 'exciting', and didn't care for it much - it largely involved lots of fear, crying, and a healthy dose of screaming agony. :P

He's close, but he's no TARANTHOR; without witchking hats i'ts just not the same.

" So to pick a nice round number, what's happened to you in the last five years? "

Not a great deal of different things. I live in the north east, it suits me I think. Basically I hate the cold to the point

I just ignore Campbell exists and get on with my /our life.

For me, being up here makes the living/ working/surviving thing a bit more than tolerable. The older I get the more I

appreciate the distances from the big smokes.

I'm spending too much time on atomic, but well, I have no excuse I want to use ;)

I'm assuming you're posting from Sweden, which is kinda cool - me being a country hick an'all - what about Sweden keeps

you there ? The people, the work/money, or just everything ?

Edited by eveln

Hi -M-! :-) Nice to see you around again! :-) Sounds like you've been busy the past few years :-p Congrats on everything, that's a lot of changes and a lot of Big Things you've accomplished. And Sweden, that sounds interesting.

I think in the last 5 years, I've pretty much become a different person :-p In no particular order: I left IT and went back to school to study massage. I now work two jobs in massage, one of which is my own little freelance massage business close to where I live. I split up with a long term partner, hung around on my own for a bit, I travelled through Europe for a short while. I got married.

So, coupla things there :-)

Well, I spend 2.5 of those years unemployed. Finally got a job (in IT, which I'd been trying to do for years), but had to move towns for it. Woohoo, 2 years in Invercargill. Late last year, the mrs got a job in Cairns. I tried to find a job there, but it's kind of hard to find a job when you're not even in the same country! After 6 months I went to visit her, and on the day I got back I got made redundant. Awesome.

So I jumped online, looked for jobs and applied for one. Got a call a few hours later asking to do an interview on Skype and got the job.

Been in Australia nearly 6 months now, and so far I've been loving every minute of it.

Pretty boring, but that's the last few years for me. The 5 years previous to that are pretty boring and I've talked about it here, but if I got into that it'd just bring the whole thread down :)

• Like 1

I'm assuming you're posting from Sweden, which is kinda cool - me being a country hick an'all - what about Sweden keeps

We (my partner and I) moved here because I got a job here. The plan is to stay here for two years as that's how long my contract is for but after that...who knows. There are a lot of things I like about living here and some things that I might not want forever but I think are good to experience. Being able to just go visit random cities in Europe for a weekend is pretty amazing and I'm enjoying learning a new language. The weather at the moment leaves a lot to be desired, especially seeing photos of beaches and things from people back in Australia. But I'm hoping it will snow soon, that would be fun.

/waves at -M- and neoprint

:)

/waves :)

Sweden eh?

Is it anything like the TV show?

Haha, it's a bit exaggerated for comedic effect but there is a lot of truth in it actually.

We (my partner and I) moved here because I got a job here. The plan is to stay here for two years as that's how long my contract is for but after that...who knows. There are a lot of things I like about living here and some things that I might not want forever but I think are good to experience. Being able to just go visit random cities in Europe for a weekend is pretty amazing and I'm enjoying learning a new language. The weather at the moment leaves a lot to be desired, especially seeing photos of beaches and things from people back in Australia. But I'm hoping it will snow soon, that would be fun.

If I could click my fingers and just be there :P The act of travelling has been turned into a tedious chore I think.

Seeing the old cities and country sides of Europe would be the bees-knees for me.

So are we making this the Nich/Facebook say Hi thread?

Yes, yes we are.

If I could click my fingers and just be there :P The act of travelling has been turned into a tedious chore I think.

Seeing the old cities and country sides of Europe would be the bees-knees for me.

Yeah, I am pretty sick of planes at this point but we're coming home for Christmas so that's another 48hrs+. But I love trains and they are a good way to get around here if you are not going too far or have the time. Just sit in the train, watch the countryside go by, wander down to the dining car for lunch, then by dinnertime you're in another city, in another country, and have no idea what any of the signs mean. Much easier these days though with smartphones.

Yeah, I am pretty sick of planes at this point but we're coming home for Christmas so that's another 48hrs+. But I love trains and they are a good way to get around here if you are not going too far or have the time. Just sit in the train, watch the countryside go by, wander down to the dining car for lunch, then by dinnertime you're in another city, in another country, and have no idea what any of the signs mean. Much easier these days though with smartphones.

We did the bulk of our Europe trip by train (err... once we landed there, obviously :-p ). Best way to do it. Loved it :-) Holland-Germany-France-Switzerland and we only had one internal-Europe flight (Paris to Geneva, to get us to CERN by something like 9am). Bliss :-)

I'm trying to think of when the last time was that I saw you in Sydney, and I can't D:

Last 5 years? Sleep apnoea diagnosis, went back to full-time work thanks to CPAP, went back to school (last year finished a pastry course and this year am almost finished my cookery and management courses), and next year I move to the northern hemisphere with you (tho' still on opposite sides of the world, hah).

Trying to remember the last time I caught a train. I thought it was in Vic. but now am remembering a train ride from T'ville to Cairns.

Waaay back in the last century :\ ... I think I enjoyed it. :)

I just think travelling on masse has been made soo uncomfortable ...

Edited by eveln

Hi M!

Last 5 years.. hmmmmm. Well.. 5 1/2 yrs ago I became a dad. So slightly outside that range, but it'll do.

I also became an IT tech after leaving Australian Customs (And if I ever go back to public service it's because I want a 'derp' job.).

Recently I've started to learn Irish. I have little aptitude for language, but I'm enjoying this. It's working towards crossing something off my bucket list of life.

AD

It's really interesting to see what everyone's been up to and see how things can change in a few years. :)

True, though I'm pretty glad the trip between Australia and Eurorpe is now a 24-hour plane hell instead of a 9-month sailing boat hell like when Europeans first came there.

• Like 1

True, though I'm pretty glad the trip between Australia and Eurorpe is now a 24-hour plane hell instead of a 9-month sailing boat hell like when Europeans first came there.

It's the 21st century, we have the technology to make travel more comfortable for all.

Doesn't have to be luxurious for all, but it shouldn't make you ill or give you an embolism either ;) << always the whinger here.

Some people will always get sick: seasick, carsick, planesick, space sick... If/when it becomes possible, there'll be someone getting suspended animation sick, or time travel sick. ;p

• Like 1

True Cybes.

As an ex smoker, the thought of spending 24hours on a plane breathing recycled air gives me the heebie-geebies.