Sign in to follow this  
paulgia

macbook pro - computer speed problems

Hi Guys,

Posting this for my girlfriend;

She has a macbook pro 13inch which was purchased in 2011 and is approx 3 years old now.

She uses it for Uni work and watching movies. Lately microsoft word has been freezing regularly - such as when she attempts to paste things into it. She has update all her software (microsoft word and the mac software) and is just wondering if there is anything she can do to speed it up or is it just coming up to the end of its life?

Thanks (=

Paul

Assuming you're doing the same things on day 1, as you are on day 1000, computers don't 'wear out' in the sense that they slow down.

Lock ups can suggest bad RAM, so you need to get the tested.

Since Mavericks is free, I'd do a full system wipe and reinstall mavericks from a clean boot (no 'upgrading')

You can also isolate the Microsoft Office install as a first test; install LibreOffice for Mac (its free) and see if THAT locks up too; or is it more than just office that freezes?

Check the SMART status of the Hard drive too, there's bound to be MAC tools for that.

MS: the current version 10.10 is Yosemite.

OP: I use a 2011 MBP daily. There's no reason it can't run as well today as when you bought it. A fresh install of the OS is a good idea.

Installing Yosemite from scratch can be a little tricky if your system didn't ship with it, you have to download it and run a command line tool to create a bootable USB or external HDD. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5856

Regardless of what you do, the first step is to back up your documents, photos, etc. Shut down the computer, then hold Command+R while turning it back on. This will boot into the recovery environment. Inside here you can format the HDD and install the version of OSX it came with (probably Lion). Then just update to Yosemite through the App Store once Lion is installed.

If you're not comfortable with Disk Utility, partitions and formatting, etc, then you might just want to make an appointment at an Apple Store and get them to run you through this recovery process. It might cost a little money, but they'll set you up with Mavericks and help you transfer your documents etc to the new installation.

I've used Yosemite, a few friends with modern mac mini's werent impressed and went back to Mavericks.

I also know you can download mavericks to a USB stick from the itunes store and just reboot.

But yes, there is a newer OS.

being a MBP you can burn to CD, and run, memtest86

http://www.memtest.org

Just to check your RAM over.

Squall; what in Mac shows SMART health?

I've used Yosemite, a few friends with modern mac mini's werent impressed and went back to Mavericks.

*shrugs* Apart from the visual style which I like less than the old one, there isn't anything "wrong" with it.

Squall; what in Mac shows SMART health?

Applications/Utilities/System Information

Under the "SATA/SATA Express" item.

I also know you can download mavericks to a USB stick from the itunes store and just reboot.

Yeah, using the method I linked above. ;)