SonOfNoddy

Which iPad

Hello, I wanted to get an iPad but I can't choose between a mini 3 which is more affordable for me, or an air 2 which is more expensive but I presume has better performance. I was thinking that I could get the mini 3 with 16GB of storage now, and then get an air 2 with 64GB of storage later, and use one for recreational use and one for school/work. Is this a good idea? or would I just get one?

Pick a screen size. Larger screen is better for productivity/media, smaller screen is better for reading.

Pick a screen size. Larger screen is better for productivity/media, smaller screen is better for reading.

I don't know which screen size to choose, I want the larger screen, but it will take more work to get, and the smaller screen will be easier to fit into bags (Don't know what I am complaining about though, I have a bag that can fit two 16 Inch laptops :P) and what do you mean by reading, is that just ebooks? or browsing the internet?

Both. I have an ipad3 and a Nexus 7. I barely ever use the ipad. I do all my reading on the 7" tablet because it's lighter, easier to hold (especially in one hand) and doesn't feel like it'll break my face if I drop it while reading horizontally (in bed, on the floor, etc)

I only use it to read books and online news.

If I want to actually do work, I use my laptop, because physical keyboard (and trackpoint) > tablet for getting shit done in a hurry.

It's outside of my budget, but the all-in-one compromise for me would probably be a surface pro 3, because I'm not tied to any particular mobile platform.

So do you reckon I should get the mini 3 or air, I probably will be playing some games every now and again, because I have no portable device with games on it, I also find it harder to see smaller screens without glasses, because I have terrible focusing and double vision. I will see if I can use my dads mini 3 for a little bit to see how it holds up with my eyes, maybe browse the internet, watch some youtube. Then I will decide if I need the larger screen of the air 2.

My first suggestion then would be glasses. You mentioned you're getting a new phone? Games will work on that too.

If it were me, I'd get the mini because I read more than anything else when on my tablet - usually when on the train or a plane. It makes it easier to take around, being lighter weight. With the ipad I have to actually plan if I take it, because it won't just fit in my cargo pants.

My first suggestion then would be glasses. You mentioned you're getting a new phone? Games will work on that too.

If it were me, I'd get the mini because I read more than anything else when on my tablet - usually when on the train or a plane. It makes it easier to take around, being lighter weight. With the ipad I have to actually plan if I take it, because it won't just fit in my cargo pants.

I don't like playing games on a phone, to hard to see, even with glasses, I only use a phone for calling or texting, or occasionally watching youtube (I used to have an Aldi smart phone, fluid displacement and dead pixels ended it) and how does the cellular work with the iPads?

My ipad has a SIM slot, my n7 is wifi only. They're both used wifi only tho'.

3g/LTE will bump the price more than it's probably worth if you're carrying your phone around anyway.

My ipad has a SIM slot, my n7 is wifi only. They're both used wifi only tho'.

3g/LTE will bump the price more than it's probably worth if you're carrying your phone around anyway.

Would having a hotspot from my phone cost more than getting cellular?

It depends who your phone is with and what plans and etc.

I found it cheaper to just use a hotspot from my phone. Cheaper data/less wastage/cheaper device.

The ipad only had cellular because my wife didn't have a phone at the time to use as a hotspot.

I test ran the iPad mini 3 and I can see things pretty clearly without glasses and with glasses crystal clear, I think we have a winner. Now the big decision is to get 16GB or 64GB for storage, leaning more towards the 16GB one, don't really need 64GB but you never know, what would be the benefit of 64GB vs 16GB?

Just to play devils advocate;

why the ipad and not a competitors device?

I only ask because Ipads are usually only useful in a business environment, otherwise the end up being toys.

android tabs, and even surfaces are real 'geek tools' no matter what,and are also useful in a business environment.

iPad has a ton of features; the app ecosystem is a little better, they're better developed, and the resolution is overkill, and they get a little more battery life (used to be tons before android was better dev'd).

Nothing wrong with an iPad, just rocking the boat to make you think a little :)

Edited by Master_Scythe

iPad has a ton of features; the app ecosystem is a little better, they're better developed, and the resolution is overkill, and they get a little more battery life (used to be tons before android was better dev'd).

The resolution isn't overkill, it's used to make text smoother and clearer.

The UI elements are nearly the same physical size on iPad Air today, as they were on iPad 1.

Edited by SquallStrife

Because it is reliable and I am not familiar with the android/windows OS, because I barely used android and I haven't used windows for at least a year.

More control over the device/OS.

That, in and of itself, means nothing to nearly all tablet owners.

So what do you gain control over, that you don't have control over with the vendor-delivered Android-based system? Minutiae like how the App icons scroll left/right up/down? Being able to change the font in the status bar? The casual user gives zero shits about this kind of stuff. More time is spent actually inside apps than navel-gazing at homescreen gadgets and status icons. They'll pick a wallpaper, move their frequent Apps to the home screen, and get on with accomplishing non-pure-IT tasks for muggles.

WRT the OP's question, the Mini 3 and the Air 2 are both good tablets, just decide how much you want to spend and go for it.

The resolution isn't overkill, it's used to make text smoother and clearer.

The UI elements are nearly the same physical size on iPad Air today, as they were on iPad 1.

As someone who wears glasses; And talking to a user who admits to using it without glasses.

While even with them, finds small things hard to see (as he explained about using his phone);

I still say overkill in this use scenario.

Of course, everyone's results will vary greatly, I'm sure shit loads of people love it (you seem to, for exhibit A).

But then a Mate with no eye problems bought a 15" retina macbook. Even he thinks its overkill.

He's a graphics+web designer, so having an 'odd size screen' to the rest of the world I guess hindered his productivity?

Its all about usage scenarios.

What would be the benefit of getting an android tablet or surface pro over an iPad?

For me? Convenience.

There is no arguing that APPLE has the market cornered on 'ease of use', open an app, use it, push the big middle button, done. But I'm far too At0mic to give a crap about 'ease of use' I want 'Maximum Power' and function.

As I said, I'm more than able to look at an iPad and see where it's loved, but I have quite the list that hinders my personal appreciation:

1. iTunes required.

If I could install this without the additional services I'd be fine. But even if I disable them they complain. As someone who hates 'bloat' on their lean mean system, iTunes offers me nothing that MediaMonkey or Winamp doesnt, besides iOS integration.

At least MediaMonkey can handle all the music on an i-pod\phone\pad

2. No SD card slot.

Not for the reason people think. It's not about 'is my tablet big (storage) enough'.

When I carry a laptop, I use an SD card like a USB stick, I find it more convenient. I also have one in my camera, and one in my 3DS, one on my keyring, and one in my phone.

If\Whel it comes time to juggle some data, I'm a big fan of plug, copy, eject.

The most realistic usage scenario for me is with the camera; take a bunch of photos, pop the card out, edit and preview them on the big tablet.

I know the iPad has a 'camera kit' now, but for my personal use, its just another thing I have to buy, and carry.

3. No custom ROMS

This isnt going to be a deal for many people. But I love overclocking, undervolting, and tweaking.

The fact that my tablet runs 50mhz faster than stock across each step, at 0.1v LESS across each step, makes me feel bad-ass.

Just depends how loud the tweaker within is :P

I also Dual Boot UBUNTU with it.

4. Codecs.

I like to be able to play any file I have with VLC or other apps, this might have changed, but last I checked iPad only did what iTunes supports.

no?

5. Price.

Lets face it, buying something like a CUBE u30GT is $100.

It's a Dual core 1.5Ghz, with a Quad core MALI 400 GPU, 1080pIPS screen, and to this day laughs at anything I throw at it. Perfectly stable, everything works, battery life is huge.

iPad feels sturdier, but I have a really reeeeaaallllyy big problem with carrying expensive gear, it makes me 'enjoy life' less.

If I break my u30gt (which I have before) I'm annoyed, and ordered another.

If I break a $300+ ipad, I'd be pretty pissed right off the bat.

iPads win a lot of customers, as explained, because they 'just work', but honestly, these days they all do.

They all have an HTML5 web browser, they all have an acceptable app store (windows is smaller, but still functional), they all look at pictures and movies.

iPads have the nicer screen. Android has FLASH player for older sites.

The reason I advocate ANDROID, despite being distrustful of google as a whole, is because for the typical usage scenario, $100 buys what apple asks $300 for; and for my 1/3rd cost, I get a lot more 'geek factor' to play with, along with the same basics all the tablet players can do.

Also, with no SD card slot, and the itunes requirement, apple devices end up paperweights for me personally, very quickly. This clearly wont apply to everyone.

Edited by Master_Scythe

The casual user gives zero shits about this kind of stuff.

I didn't realise i was answering it for what a casual observer might want.

iOS8 has made the keyboard difference disappear. But my iphone is unable to go back to iOS7 if I'm unhappy with how long a 4s takes to load stuff in iOS8. My N7 tablet, being unlocked, lets me reinstall whatever version of Android I feel strikes the best feature/performance ration. But again, that's not something the casual user gives two shits about.

As someone who wears glasses; And talking to a user who admits to using it without glasses.

While even with them, finds small things hard to see (as he explained about using his phone);

That still suggests that higher resolution intrinsically means smaller UI elements for a given physical display size. That's an archaic holdover from Windows that still uses fixed pixel sizes for a lot of things.

• Like 1

That still suggests that higher resolution intrinsically means smaller UI elements for a given physical display size. That's an archaic holdover from Windows that still uses fixed pixel sizes for a lot of things.

but still a very real problem.

a lot of old webpages use fixed pixel sizes.

Also when running a VM or even MSTSC, it becomes a real issue too.

But regardless of that, its about cost and battery.

A 'better' screen uses more power and makes the device cost a lot more.

Both scenarios that, above 1080p, are sacrifices I wont make for an arguably 'better' screen in daily use.

Mileage will vary per user of course.

Edited by Master_Scythe