Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Mac Dude

An interesting comparison of 2 factories

The budget earlier this year placed a ceiling on rebates for solar panels to households with a taxable income of less that $100,000. The problem with this is, the only people who can afford solar panels anyway are households with over $100,000 annual income. The result? Canceled orders.

We discussed this previously here, and a news article on the topic can be found here.

This week, Australia's largest solar panel factory announced that they will be shutting their doors. Although BP Solar said it was closing the photovoltaic solar panel factory to cut costs, it admitted there would be no immediate benefit to customers, and panels would not become cheaper as a result of the move. Article here.

Today, Ford announced their decision to 'backflip' on their previous decision to close their straight six engine plant in Geelong. The plant will be receiving a 21 million dollar injection - 13 from the federal government and an undisclosed sum from the victorian state government. It also follows last week's announcement of the Federal Government's $6.2 billion rescue plan for the industry.

Is it me, or is this government's investment strategy totally fucked? They are pouring billions into subsidising oversized car engines, and reducing the rebate on solar panels, and watching as our biggest factory closes.

The term 'moronic' comes to mind...

Depends what they are running the engines on. Fords pushing hydrogen

Solar panels suck anyway. Go nuclear I say....they put up wind turbines that make annoying fucking WW2 noises then try to suck some of the suns energy when we could just build a mini sun in a box.

Dude, I wouldn't worry about it

Rudd's given Toyota $35 million for building a "green" Camry in Australia.

Problem is, they were going to build it here anyway.

Moronic doesn't even begin to describe this government. Intelligence in the Labor ranks is an exception, rather than the rule.

Edited by Leonid

Actually, here's one example of when i think caps on rebates are stupid.

Or if they are going to remove rebates for rich people, they should increase them for poorer so they have a chance of getting access.

Personally though, and I surprise myself saying this, but I don't think 100K is really a lavish income these days. I live on < 20K a year, and barely get by, but I've seen families over 100K struggling. Mostly because they try to live above their means, and because of debt. I dunno, honestly I think more things need to be evaluated on a case by case basis rather than just slapping generalise rules down on everyone.

I've seen families over 100K struggling. Mostly because they try to live above their means, and because of debt.

Being an irresponsible fuckwit does not mean you need more money to make ends meet. It means you need to hand your wallet to someone with a brain.

Being an irresponsible fuckwit does not mean you need more money to make ends meet. It means you need to hand your wallet to someone with a brain.

Tell that to... well, most people in Australia.

Tell that to... well, most people in Australia.

I do. Frequently. They still aren't listening. ;P

Most of the time i saw it was when Mum tried the amway thing. The programming they try to give people is to live rich now, to try to get you in the mindset of being a rich person. It's ridiculous.

I've seen families over 100K struggling. Mostly because they try to live above their means, and because of debt.

Whoa, Cybes!!

I love it when you talk dirty. :)

I know this has nothing to do with Australia, but, I'm wondering whether the converse is any better in regards the US motor industry.

GM, Chrysler and Ford stand to go down the gurgler because they won't get a 'bailout' from the government.

It's strange though when the CEO's arrive in style in their Lear Jets, and yet, still cry poor, 'cup-in-hand' asking for a bailout to help their ailing business.

CEO's of ANY company need to come back to something that the reat of us call, REALITY.

It's strange though when the CEO's arrive in style in their Lear Jets, and yet, still cry poor, 'cup-in-hand' asking for a bailout to help their ailing business.

CEO's of ANY company need to come back to something that the reat of us call, REALITY.

Reprehensible, imho.

I have nothing against people being paid huge sums of money... Provided that they increase company profits by even huger margins. I get mightily agro at seeing some dufus collecting his 20 mil salary plus 30 mil golden handshake after being fired for making a billion dollar loss, though.

And you have but to ask, m'dear, and I'll swear fit to make a wharfie blush. ;)

The government shouldn't be injecting or rebating anything; I think the people can better decide how to spend their money.

Hi, I think the Government is doing the wrong thing.

I feel sorry for the employees, but just like the coach industry back in 1989/90. If they don't have a solid business plan

and continue to pay their bloated execs excessive amounts, with bonuses then they should be allowed to fail.

Because what good can come from bandaging (band-aids) a gushing wound?

But the Government is doing what it feels it should. live and learn.

There will be no room for new ventures, or funds for it.

We (the tax payers) will not benefit from these payouts.

The (US)American bussiness model has failed again, and it will continue to do so. The cost is ours.

Aussie cars will be too expensive for the average aussie, and we'll buy the cheapo asian car instead.

No jobs, no industry.

Glenn

I wouldn't have a problem if they were helping to save a car industry that was trying to address rising fuel costs and greenhouse gasses, but the Australian motor industry seems to be stuck in the same rut of old technology big vehicles. The investment is pure politics - nobody wants a major car manufacturer to leave the country on their watch. The previous government was no different in this regard. Having said that, there seem to be people who were very vocal when it came to the previous government, are now silent when the current government makes the same poor decisions.

Edited by Mac Dude

Solar panels suck anyway. Go nuclear I say....they put up wind turbines that make annoying fucking WW2 noises then try to suck some of the suns energy when we could just build a mini sun in a box.

Do you even think about the shit you type before you type it?

I don't understand.

I don't understand.

Well, let's see.

Solar panels make a difference, when used they reduce peoples need to rely solely on mains elec. Which in the end pays for itself, and AFAIK your states elec company will rebate you for any excess you don't use that gets re-directed back into the grid.

Wind turbines are worth the noise. Unless you live on a windy hill right near the fucking turbines - I don't see the issue.

Sure, we could all have Nuclear powered homes, but eventually we'll run outta space to put the waste. Maybe not in our lifetime, but I plan to have kids, and they'll probably plan to have kids of their own.

Edited by reborn

The plant will be receiving a 21 million dollar injection - 13 from the federal government and an undisclosed sum from the victorian state government.

Is the undisclosed sum close to $8 million by any chance? :P

Rob.

Hmm,

The temporary offset is not much I suppose compared to the immediate impact of lost jobs and the indirect cost of that, but I agree Mac, if the Ford people can't produce a sustainable business then bail outs just delay the inevitable.

As for the solar cell debacle, I keep hoping for a backpedal but as factories close and installers go out of business I get more and more angry.

Political arrogance over a silly decision I'd suggest.

Cheers

Just to play Devil's Advocate for a sec: One could say, if the solar companies can't stay viable without govt handouts, they shouldn't be in business either.

:)

It's a fair comment Cybes, but that industry just needs a bit of a jump-start, the car industry is more a case of being on permanent life support :)

Cheers

BP Solar said that even with a government handout, they would still close.

It's all about labour costs.

Yeah solar electricity in homes is important. It's something that, IMO the government should invest in directly.

Honestly, it's not really practical to have one massive solar plant that powers a large area. At the same time, solar power is something of an untapped resource. It's not like drawing power from the sun somehow causes it to expire..

Furthermore, I honestly believe that power storage and electrical power is the way of the future - With a fair bit of R&D, I reckon everything could be powered by electricity (cars, planes, etc etc) so if solar power is already in place on top of peoples houses it won't raise the electricity usage all that much when it happens.

Don't quite get that Logic, the industry didn't ask for a handout as the car people are getting they wanted the subsidy at customer level.

Making solar cells is not labour intensive, the problem is getting over the hump in terms of volume sales.

It has taken decades to get them to decent output, but now the process is pretty good, it will only get significantly better in a microgravity orbital factory is the general consensus.

It's a little like chip fabs, costs a damned fortune to get one up and then optimise the yield, but once you do the cost per plummets. Then you have to find a market and that is what the government cut off at the knees.....

Cheers