Sign in to follow this  
smadge1

Pendo Pad 7-Inch Win8 Atom Tablet

Coles are selling a 7-Inch Atom Pendo Pad, with Windows 8.1 installed for $89 (Comes with a free 1yr sub for Office 365 Personal) I think the RRP on this model is $149

Only has a low res screen, not that great. Only has 1GB RAM and 16GB (Total) Storage

But it has a MicroUSB port with an OTG Cable, a 1.5A Charger, a microHDMI port, headset jack, and a microSD card slot.

It's bare-basics alright, but for Windows 8.1 tablet, I think it's extraordinary value! Being an x86 Atom tablet, you can install any win32 applications (and you don't REQUIRE signed drivers!)

I've plugged in an old 10/100 USB Ethernet dongle and installed some drivers and got a decent wired connection. I'd like to try it out with a USB3 docking station at some point, though I know the performance won't be spectacular.

B28gkEiCQAAcGTk.png

Edited by smadge1

Bought 2, they're really good!

windows hates DPI settings so, so so much; but its handy for single tasks, thats for sure.

WELL worth the money.

Actually, according to the Intel website, the CPU is actually x64, not sure how you could upgrade to Win8.1 x64 though.

Tempted... any benchmarks, e.g. SuperPi and wPrime so I can guestimate what older desktop would be equivalent?

And I assume it's got Bluetooth so you don't have to do the USB spagetti with it.

Edited by Rybags

yeah it has bluetooth, and I'm using a bluetooth keyboard with it, and I also paired a plantronics bluetooth handsfree headset with it too, though don't both work at the same time.

I'd like to investigate a USB OTG Dock of some sort, that can charge it as well.

Have you tried the HDMI? I guess at that price they don't throw in a cable.

I haven't tried the HDMI yet, but it's a MiniHDMI jack. I will get an adaptor from Jaycar sometime this week.

Well, I can't even apply all the windows 8.1 updates without running out of space. Gonna try disk compression and see how it works.

• Like 1

OK, I've got one - couldn't resist. Was considering a chepo 10" for a while as second tablet but a Win device at this price, pretty easy choice.

Now off to Jaycar to get a microHDMI adaptor while this thing charges up.

So much for RTFM - idiots! It's miniHDMI, not micro as they said.

Might have to dig out my fine-tipped stylus, doing Windows ops on a screen this small is a hit/miss affair.

Try some emulators out later too.

Viewing angle of the display is a bit howdy-doodly. Head to head with Nexus 7, it's not even in the game.

Will see later if my MSI Sky Digital TV USB tuner works, although it mightn't even have driver support beyond XP.

SuperPi 1.5mod 1M run - 45.981 secs. Roughly comparable to what you'd get from a healthily overclocked Althon XP.

Although of course it's a single-threaded program and probably suffers somewhat in that it's writing the result to the SSD.

wPrime 2.10 32M 4 threads - 36.72 secs.

Edited by Rybags
  • Like 1

Ok, I borrowed a Kensington USB3 dock from work, and plugged it in, it has dual DisplayLink (HDMI+DVI) adapters, Ethernet, and 3.5mm Mic/Headphones sockets. In addition to 6 USB ports (2x USB3 and 4x USB2)

The thing installed quite easily, and I was soon up and running with a Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse, able to plug into my lounge room TV for a bit of Windows 8.1 action.

It's worth noting at this point, that the tablet only has one USB port, which can't be used for USB duties and charging at the same time, so it's only useful until the battery runs flat, then you need to plug in the charger.

I have installed the Steam client onto it, and quickly discovered that I could stream games from my main computer (an old Core2Duo laptop) and the performance wasn't that great. I haven't loaded any local games onto it yet, but I'll get to that.

I'm definitely going to purchase one of these Kensington docks for myself at some stage. (it's Win and Mac compatible)

I have taken to installing programs on the SD card (D:\) but I have noticed that I can't pin any of these programs to the taskbar, I'm not sure if this is a limitation or a bug.

CPU speed seems to top out at 1.57 MHz rather than the 1.83 the 3735G is specified at. Maybe playing with power options could increase it.

I've already bought another BT keyboard and HDMI adaptor - I can see the potential to easily spend the value of the tablet again just on accessories.

Haven't checked out yet if there's an option to dim/blank the screen if HDMI is active in clone mode, that'd be a handy battery saver.

I simply set the display option to only display the external screen, I think that shut off the built-in screen. I could put it in Airplane mode while docked too.

Tried my USB inspection camera... works.

I've not allowed it to update Windows - seems you lose ~ 5 Gig of SSD off the bat thanks to the restore partition. It was a right annoyance too first time playing a media file, it went for 5 seconds then wanted to update the player. Refused to work again after restarting it until I updated it.

Theory about this device is that it's probably subsidised to a degree though I doubt the BOM is much different to the retail price. Obviously they count on people buying it to go off and spend plenty at the MS Store.

I've had Android devices for >2 years and spent nothing on software, don't expect I'll be pouring any bucks into the M$ purse either.

Got to try some games... have to dig out some old classics like Half Life, Far Cry, RTCWolf and see how they go. Might see if it'll handle a 3DMark run as well.

3DMark06 - 1371 at 1280x800. I'm not sure what that's equivalent to, probably a midrange GeForce 5 or 6 series from way back.

Well, I tried playing the original Half-Life, but the screen was all messed up, so I went to try Half-Life: Source, which seems to work perfectly fine. As did Portal. I'm obviously taking a huge performance hit by running games from the SD card, but there is no space on the SSD.

Yep, the recovery partition on SSD steals away valuable space. I've also noted the battery consumption is somewhat woeful, I doubt you'd get more than 40 hours or so in the Sleep mode as opposed to something like the Nexus 7 which will happily sit there for the best part of a fortnight without draining it's battery.

I've got an OTG hub on the way which will allow chargeup while using peripherals. Haven't tried any games yet, might dig out Quake 3 so I can run it's Timedemo.

Ugh, and this is why I should spend more time here.

A 7" win8 tab, running at 1200 x 800 for <$100 is exactly what i've been looking for.

Edit: Called into my local Coles this morning, they don't have any; only the Android ones :'(

Edited by Charcoal

Bought another USB DTV Tuner for all of 9 bucks, arrived a few days ago.

Doesn't work on the tablet, Win8 installs drivers from it's own repository, but once I installed the DTV viewing software it scanned and found no channels. No luck either with using another package and importing an existing config.

Also tried deleting the device and installing the drivers that came with it, but no luck either.

Worked fine on desktop and laptop under XP and Win7, but no idea what the problem is re the tablet. Give it another go over the next couple of days. Being able to have TV on something so compact would be a huge bonus.

Are these still avalaible at coles?

I've seen the Pendo Pad at other places like AusPost as well...

I usually stay right away from Tech like this...

But, what's the Android one like? I'm looking for a really cheap Android tab with a decent resolution that can connect to the PlayStore, basically only want it as a second screen for DashMeterPro on my Racing Sim Computer

They were only there as a weekly special, you have to ask for it at the returns/cigarette counter at the front.

There's various Pendo pads around, they seem good for the price, even Quad Core ones well under traditional brand prices.

I'd not rate them in the league of the likes of Samsung or Asus but they're way better than the cheap/nasty no-name Chinese stuff.

If you want a cheap Android pad for a single purpose like that, then you might just try a cheap/nasty one, but yes, the low end stuff often has utterly crap resolution.

The Play Store app is also missing on some cheap ones - but IMO it's not a showstopper but for a general use device you'd want it.

Edited by Rybags

I have a Pendo 7" quad core Android tab. It's... ehhhh.

It's fairly fast, benchmarks just under a SGS3.
The screen resolution is nice for a 7"; 1024x600.
But the screen is a TN LCD. And not just a TN, but a crappy TN.

Viewing it straight on it has discolouration/washing out at the edges.

But it was ~$65, so that's not too bad.

As far as Bay Trail Atoms, I splashed out on an Onda v975w.
Basically an Atom with 2Gb ram, 32Gb HDD and the same screen as an iPad Air.
It's a very nice screen.
And the Bay Trail Atom is light years ahead of the first and second gen Atoms, so performance is acceptable.

• Like 1