Sign in to follow this  
smadge1

Pendo Pad 7-Inch Win8 Atom Tablet

What sort of cash for one of those though?

I jumped on this thing as it's got reasonable specs - there seems to be a rift in Windows gear, a few bits of cheap stuff and everything else is priced at a premium.

What sort of cash for one of those though?

I jumped on this thing as it's got reasonable specs - there seems to be a rift in Windows gear, a few bits of cheap stuff and everything else is priced at a premium.

It was just over $200, as long as you can handle only having one microUSB port that handles charging and OTG (i.e. so you can only be charging or have the OTG cable connected).

With that in mind I do have a dongle coming from DX.com that will allow me to both charge and have a full sized USB port available. That with a Logitech unified dongle for keyboard and mouse will make it a nice roll-your-own convertable device, for at least 1/3rd the price!

Got a DSE catalog the other day. Acer Iconia 8" Windows tablet for $198. It has 32 Gig SSD, 1280x800 display, front/rear cameras @ 2Mp, probably the same CPU (Z3735G Quad). Fairly sure only 1 Gig Ram as well.

Looks like a high quality device too (Asus tend not to output junk).

• Like 1

@ Rybags, depends though. Some of the earlier Iconias were shit, underpowered and crappy TN panels. This one I think still have the bad panel but internals got an upgrade.

That said, it's cheap and that's all it counts.

• Like 2

Argh, its been soo long since I've users the Atomic Forums I no longer have access to the email address I registered with. (like, Shafted 13 days)

Anyway. Figured I'd throw some insight out there for those looking at the PendoPad

First off, Don't remove the recovery partition, you will brick the device!

The Pendopad (along with other "low storage" devices) uses a new trick from Microsoft called WimBoot.

This basically grabs the install.wim from your installation media and keeps it in the recovery partition (along with a few other files, boot.wim and custom.wim)

These Wim files contain everything your machine needs to run, just in a compressed format (think like a zip or rar)

What WimBoot does is create little "pointer" files on your main partition to the Wim File, windows will then load the file from the image, decompress it and run it from RAM

This has the downside that there is a CPU performance hit, but can speed up slow cheap storage like whats in the Pendo anyway.

I'd also recommend if you're going to tweak or hack the device that you make a recovery image using the built in Windows tools to a USB as Pendo support Australia will not provide recovery media.

I've currently got Windows 10 booting on the device using a WIMBoot image, once I sort out the drive issue it should be great.

Did you get the OTG Hub working in the end?

• Like 1

I've not used mine a whole lot. The OTG hub was cheap and seems to work nicely - I've not done any comparitive tests though, and as noted before the power consumption compared to many Android devices is pretty dismal.

The one thing that pisses me off is that the new TV tuner I bought installs just fine but otherwise doesn't work at all, despite working fine in XP and Win7 on desktop + laptop. I've not looked deeper into that issue yet, but it would be mega handy if I could get it going.

Yep, I'd heard of Wimboot and know of the recovery partition - also had a look into the BIOS menu available by hooking up a USB keyboard.

To get real useful functionality you really need a decently fast microSD card, I got a Kingston 64 Gig one at a good price at MSY but as it turns out I should have forked out a few more bucks for a faster Sandisk or Samsung one.

After trying to restore my original one after it got overtaken by malware, it became bricked. Pendo said to take it back to Coles for a replacement, with a reference number.

Upon setting up the new one, the GWX activated. And today, after running some updates, it's decided to download the Win10 installer.

I'll let you know how it goes. (The Pendo lady I talked to told me not to even think about upgrading, but she didn't say when I could...)

The update seems to have gone without a hitch! All the devices seem to have drivers. I haven't run it for even an hour yet, lets see how it goes.

Pretty sure I disabled updates on mine early on.

The problem is that it's almost full to the gills with the base OS and fairly sure the nature of updates on a WimBoot setup is that they are cumulative in addition to the base software rather than replacing it - in similar fashion to some Android apps that are resident that hold onto the base install on the system partition and put updates on user storage. So it'd be fairly easy to fill the thing up quickly despite not exactly having a comprehensive suite of applications and games.

Though I have put a Class 10 64 Gig SD card on mine and tend to run as much as possible from it.

well, I seem to have all the updates, MS Office and now Windows 10, and I have a few GB left over.

I've installed everything possible on the SD card. Fortunately, the Win10 downloader can download the install files to the SD card

But, OneDrive doesn't work on the SD card.

Unsure what variety if any of alternate boot devices this one allows. I did plug a keyboard in and you can get a BIOS menu up at boot though it was a long time ago that I checked it.

Also if you ran a standard boot rather than WimBoot the potential savings might be much less than expected.

Edited by Rybags