Forum upgrade is live! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
smenkhare

Wifi issues

Due to my PC constantly failing to detect the network cable being connected (after replacing the cables and router) I have relegated myself to wireless.

Now I have a xbox, laptop, desktop and mobile phone in my room, The xbox, laptop and phone all get full signal all of the time. My desktop however, with its dual CIA style antennas, is lucky to get 1 or 2 bars. Often it won't be able to even find the network.

What could be causing this and how can I fix it?

Maybe RFI from something else. Is it a PCI card type or a USB dongle? Other possibilities could be if you're using Bluetooth or have any wireless keyboard, mouse or game controllers about.

If PCI, try it in another slot, probably low as possible to get away from graphics, CPU, PSU. If it's USB then you can just use an extension cable and put wherever you want.

For the purpose of testing, maybe try turning off all the other stuff too. Also worth checking if you're getting coverage from neighbouring Wifi networks.

The xbox, laptop and phone all get full signal all of the time. My desktop however, with its dual CIA style antennas, is lucky to get 1 or 2 bars. Often it won't be able to even find the network.