Sign in to follow this  
gamble

Chrome Issue / High GPU Usage / IE Using Much Less Resources

So when Im just surfing with Chrome, the core clock jumps to 1114mhz core / 7200mhz memory with .967 volts. The temp will get up to 55c with a custom fan curve. What sucks is if I go to IE, the settings are 135 core / 650 memory @ .850 and the temp drops by 18c to about 37c. TDP is 13% on IE and 30% on Chrome.

What gives with Chrome? I prefer it but not finding a solution. I see others complaining about it from both AMD and Nvidia, Ive disabled "Use Hardware Acceleration when available" but it still the exact same. Ive tried the exact same websites too to directly compare. Only time that IE is running at the same clocks with Chrome is if Im running videos on YouTube, which makes sense at least. But, forums, and general stuff?

Anyone else have this issue or can confirm the same?

Chrome uses hardware acceleration(GPU), so does IE, but last I checked IE had it turned off by default.

If IE still has Hardware acceleration off by default, then it would be Chromes use of the GPU heating it up a bit.

You can trying turning it off to test: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/271264-chrome-gpu-hardware-acceleration-turn-off.html

Not having the issue sorry, gamble. My laptop (i7-470MQ, GT 745M) just burbles along quite happily. Could be that it's always running on the edge anyway, but I'm not seeing any spike when Chrome loads.

Thx Smakeme, I tired to disable all the gpu stuff in there from your link and a few more still does it.

Cybes, I did read somewhere Chrome is using much more battery with laptops while trying to find the issue, just a heads up. Might have been patched though it looks like a few months ago.

I might just go back to IE or FF. Not sure if FF does this but IE certainly is using much much less gpu resources, not sure about cpu resources. Might be a good article for someone to write up or to compare? I know it is considered the faster browser but at what cost...

Going to try to reinstall chrome, I have not reinstall the OS in a few years since I'm trying to hold off for Windows 10. Have added add ons during that time so that could be, thx!

Edit: Must be the add-ons thx again!

Edited by gamble
  • Like 1