smakme7757

The night my father died.

I have been wondering why the limit on fluids ... " Only 1.5 litres of fluid a day." ... it's just that I can easily put away

7 or 8 litres of water a day. I spend a bit peeing, but I am well flushed through :P

Elven, if this is a regular thing (drinking that much water), and not related to heavy exercise, I'd be a bit concerned. It was the first symptom my Dad had before he was diagnosed with diabetes.

As for why it's recommended to limit fluids for people prone to heart attacks, it's possible it's fluid retention. Another reason is to keep a healthy balance of electrolytes. Too much water can upset the balance, which effects nerve and muscle function, and can increase the risk of another heart attack.

Hmm,

The heart in the end is a pump, with my wife because it is damaged it moves blood fine but by whatever mechanism in the broader body she has fluid retention. She's not been restricted on fluids as yet, maybe never but having one tough time adapting to any diuretic - not good when they have the opposite effect.

I do sort of agree with AD, that's a lot of water Ev.

Cheers

Cheers

It's all good chrisg. Thanks for yours and tastywheat's concern. My question is derailing this thread. I'm fine. so's my water :P

/end derail...

Cheers

It's all good chrisg. Thanks for yours and tastywheat's concern. My question is derailing this thread. I'm fine. so's my water :P

/end derail...

She lives in FNQ, the temps up here also contribute to fluid consumption.

good afternoon, last march mom asked me where dad is and followed him in the bathroom. i found my dad sitting on the toilet bowl and looked like he was sleeping but i got a sudden hint and immediately noticed that he was not breathing and no response, no pulse ( i am an OR Cardiac Nurse ) I immediately started CPR without ny hesitations but with my emotions i started to cry as well. ambulance came after 10 minutes and they continued CPR in the next 30minutes, I was crying and couldn't believe what has happened. It has been how many months now and the trauma of loosing dad and not being able to monitor or anticipate the situation hunts me every single day. I deal with cardiac patients at work and i get so frustrated at times that i was not able to save dad but able to save other people. I cry at night and until now I am in shock and disbelief. I hav eno idea how to get over everything. I miss my dad and I felt like i am the cause of my mom's misery and depression. i just dont know what to do and where to go from here. thank you for your time. I just surrender everything to God to whom we all shall return back.

That's not your fault dude.

We all have those feelings that "I should have done this or that..." I'm a strong believer in Fate. The OP's experience imo being one of them.

What chance that happening to his Father when he was there ?

Must be millions against.

My own Father died when he was just 51 (20th June 1982 - Fathers Day) and I remember it as clear today as when it happened.

I too had those feelings of guilt.

My Parents got divorced about 2 years after we came over to the UK (About 1979)...Time goes on.. I got my own 1 bed flat and unbelievably my dad ended up staying at my place. Unbelievably because I never really got on with my Dad and as I was the eldest son living at home I kinda got all the shit my dad was feeling when my Mum left.

Anyway, this was now 1982. I noticed Dad kept rubbing his chest and as Heart Disease was Australias biggest killer in the 70's we learnt about that at school. Anyway, I said to Dad "you should get that looked at" But Dad being Dad said "It's just heartburn".

My Dad was an AVID river fisherman and all week he had been asking me if I would "Peg out" the weekends match.

Pegging Out just means pushing in the little numbered stakes for each fishing pitch. About a 100 of them.

"Don't forget...It's important"

"Yeah Yeah.. No worries"

And...... I forgot... Too busy in my own little world trying to become world champion speedway rider.

I went to Milton Keynes (about an hour and half away) to train. At about 13:30 I fell off for no apparent reason and felt really sick.

So I packed up and went home.........To be met by my elder brother.

"Dads had a major heart attack down the river bank. He died" !!

It took a while to sink in. For what seemed like the first time in my life I was getting on great with Dad..And he's gone... Just like that !

Well apparently it wasn't "just like that" and there was a great deal of controversy about it.

Dad worked in Newsprint most of his life both here (EMAP) and in Western Australia (Sunday Independent). The journo's knew Dad and were all over it.

Dad had the Coronary down the river bank but didn't die. The other fisherman bundled him into the back of his Station Wagon and with my little brother in tow drove to Peterborough District Hospital. With all the small lanes and traffic that took best part of an hour.

He was immediately taken into Ward 4X (Intensive Care Unit)

But.... They didn't know of dads paranoia of hospitals.

This paranoia came about because around the turn of the decade 1970 dad had a very serious stomach ulcer. They didn't know much about them in those days and thought it was a growth feeding off the food in his stomach. So they cut his gullet and re-routed to another part of his stomach in the hope it would "Starve the growth".

All fine and dandy except...... Dad woke up in the op but couldn't do anything. Yes my Dad was "one of those" you read about. Apparently he felt every cut & stitch but was paralysed due to the anaesthetic.

Back to 1892 and Ward 4X

He woke up and found himself in hospital with pipes all over him.

He ripped them all out and without sedating him they allowed him to walk down 4 flights of stairs (with my little brother), get into his car and........... Died.

Nothing really came of the investigation.

This year they are bulldozing PDH

I'm 54 now. Yes I did "Panic" when I hit 51 !!

Dad -- Taken in 1976 in the caravan we rented after selling our house in Forrestfield WA in readiness to return to UK

Edited by Outcast_Aussie
  • Like 1