Sign in to follow this  
codecreeper

Fitness monitoring Devices

Been looking at all these fitness devices like the ones you wear on your wrist and such.

Also looking at the Watch type ones too ,do both these devices actually work.

Now one major drawback is both these type of Monitors require a Smartphone of some sort of device ,what happens if you own neither ?

Having Heart problems i need to monitor my heart activity and this is why i cannot purchase these devices ,secondly suffering from deafness why would i need a mobile phone.

Seems to be new thing in today and what are the alternatives.

Take phone to equally mean tablet as in Android or iOS type.

Perfectly valid to use a smartphone without a SIM, still allows running of practically all Apps normally. Most devices that hook up to apps on phones/tablets will use Bluetooth or Wifi and not care whether 3G or phone capability exists or not.

Just get a normal heart rate monitor. Avoid the LED sensor types, as they don't work well with sweat, in my experience. Chest straps are the way to go.

Polar make decent products; have a look at Polar FT1. Setting it up is a bit awkward as it only has one button, but its a good price, and has the essential features of a heart rate monitor. My girlfriend uses one, does the job. I have used a cheapo from Kogan, a Polar watch I can't remember the model number of, and am currently using a Suunto Ambit 2.

• Like 1

Was looking at these devices again after getting a Windows Phone. On the Phone it has an APP for FITBIT ,so i looked at these in JB's they seem rather small and led panel is very small. But reading the reviews they get very high ratings.

One thing that bothers me is the LED's are placed on top of the wrist, now if you look at you wrist their is no arteries on top of the wrist or under your watch. So can how they measure your BP with no means to monitor the arterial pressure.

What i need is a device which can be used to monitor my BP when i sleep and during the day this is why i think my Windows Phone could be of help. Most devices APP's are for Android or IOS. But reading around i think Windows Phone APP's may be still in early days.

I don't think wearable devices are of much use to monitor BP. Maybe they could help to graph relative changes over a period of time but proper BP measurement involves constricting blood flow in the arm at the heart level.

• Like 1

I don't think wearable devices are of much use to monitor BP. Maybe they could help to graph relative changes over a period of time but proper BP measurement involves constricting blood flow in the arm at the heart level.

Looking at the product the LED's monitor the bloodflow in the skin cells. Strange.

With Summer weather coming up it could be used more so for monitoring my heart when i go walking and such.

Was looking at these devices again after getting a Windows Phone. On the Phone it has an APP for FITBIT ,so i looked at these in JB's they seem rather small and led panel is very small. But reading the reviews they get very high ratings.

One thing that bothers me is the LED's are placed on top of the wrist, now if you look at you wrist their is no arteries on top of the wrist or under your watch. So can how they measure your BP with no means to monitor the arterial pressure.

What i need is a device which can be used to monitor my BP when i sleep and during the day this is why i think my Windows Phone could be of help. Most devices APP's are for Android or IOS. But reading around i think Windows Phone APP's may be still in early days.

I got my wife the fitbit HR for our anniversary, We checked the heart rate against her manually checking it (helpful having a nurse around) and it was spot on.

They can't measure BP and there is no device you can wear that i know of that does.

Be aware that if you plan on wearing the device to sleep with that some of them have shit batteries that don't seem to last, we are unfortunately finding this with the fitbit.

I got my wife the fitbit HR for our anniversary, We checked the heart rate against her manually checking it (helpful having a nurse around) and it was spot on.

They can't measure BP and there is no device you can wear that i know of that does.

Be aware that if you plan on wearing the device to sleep with that some of them have shit batteries that don't seem to last, we are unfortunately finding this with the fitbit.

How long do they last ?

Was looking at the Charge HR model. My BP from GP sits between 140/90 or 150/100 . Sometimes it skyrockets up too 200/150 ,Hospital time.

Like watches it seems body heat can have an effect on Batteries.

Edited by codecreeper