Leonid

Islamic State hostage situarion

"You could easily spot any Religion of Peace. Its extremist members would be extremely peaceful." - Ricky Gervais

That man is on a roll. Where are the low overhead Islamic non-protelysing charities? It would seem that good Muslims (like good people in general) are good because that is their nature, not their religion.

Dawkins raised a lot of ire when he said something along the lines of "rape is bad, violent rape is worse". A lot of people didn't understand or simply refused to see the logic.

The same applies to religion. All religion is bad. Violent religion is worse.

70 years after war we have had the Master Race theory supplanted by the Master Faith theory. And it is shockingly violent.

• Like 1

"You could easily spot any Religion of Peace. Its extremist members would be extremely peaceful." - Ricky Gervais

That man is on a roll. Where are the low overhead Islamic non-protelysing charities? It would seem that good Muslims (like good people in general) are good because that is their nature, not their religion.

There are a whole bunch of Muslim charities. Are you saying that you know they are all high overhead Islamic protelysing charities ?

There are a whole bunch of Muslim charities. Are you saying that you know they are all high overhead Islamic protelysing charities ?

I'm saying I don't know of any in this country, which is a problem.

Dawkins raised a lot of ire when he said something along the lines of "rape is bad, violent rape is worse". A lot of people didn't understand or simply refused to see the logic.

The same applies to religion. All religion is bad. Violent religion is worse.

70 years after war we have had the Master Race theory supplanted by the Master Faith theory. And it is shockingly violent.

Yeah that was a stupid example to make though, even if your technically correct, what do you achieve by throwing everyone offside and then scrambling to explain yourself in long form? That was actually the tweet that made me unfollow him. He's too hot headed to write the long form then link it on Twitter, instead of the other way around. That caused confusion and anger, not understanding. Edited by .:Cyb3rGlitch:.

Just wonder what fallout will be in Europe over this? With France the biggest country to have illegals crossing their borders over the EU ,will they now look at their EU membership?

Will the match light the fire or will common sense put out the fire?

Yeah that was a stupid example to make though, even if your technically correct, what do you achieve by throwing everyone offside and then scrambling to explain yourself in long form? That was actually the tweet that made me unfollow him. He's too hot headed to write the long form then link it on Twitter, instead of the other way around. That caused confusion and anger, not understanding.

It's not hotheadedness - it's expecting people to understand. You're here, so you're probably on the higher end of the bellcurve - you must have run across the same thing yourself when explaining something to someone else: to you it's obvious that A -> B -> C -> D, therefore if A then D is inevitable; but Uncle Fred the Hypothetical is mystified how you came to that conclusion, and you have to backtrack and use more and shorter words.

Yeah that was a stupid example to make though, even if your technically correct, what do you achieve by throwing everyone offside and then scrambling to explain yourself in long form? That was actually the tweet that made me unfollow him. He's too hot headed to write the long form then link it on Twitter, instead of the other way around. That caused confusion and anger, not understanding.

It's not hotheadedness - it's expecting people to understand. You're here, so you're probably on the higher end of the bellcurve - you must have run across the same thing yourself when explaining something to someone else: to you it's obvious that A -> B -> C -> D, therefore if A then D is inevitable; but Uncle Fred the Hypothetical is mystified how you came to that conclusion, and you have to backtrack and use more and shorter words.

He chooses deliberately controversial examples to make a trivial point, then wonders why people get mad. He actually made other similar but less controversial examples immediately before, so it was unnecessary. If he wants to make a controversial point, he should do it long form so he doesn't fuck up and set back any useful discussion. But hey, it's his account and reputation, he can do whatever he wants - but I ain't subscribing.

Because Islamic terrorism in France and Islamic terrorism in Israel are Islamic terrorism in Indonesia and Islamic terrorism in Australia.

All stem from Islam. And from terrorism.

I'm not denying that Islam has an inherent problem with extremists, but I don't think the various groups carrying out terrorist actives in France and elsewhere have a direct connection to groups in Palestine lobbying for political independence.

We don't attribute the attack in Norway a few years back to Christians or Right Wing extremists, we don't consider the actions of Catholics in Northern Ireland during the troubles to represent Catholics elsewhere, so it seems logical to continue to separate extremists from the 1.6 billion people who consider themselves Muslim and live peaceful lives.

Evidently, I'm pretty much alone in thinking that treating Muslims as a cohesive whole doesn't make much sense, and won't lead to peaceful progress, so out of respect for the victims of the latest attacks, it's time for me to back out of this discussion.

Edited by tastywheat

Evidently, I'm pretty much alone in thinking that treating Muslims as a cohesive whole doesn't make much sense, and won't lead to peaceful progress, so out of respect for the victims of the latest attacks, it's time for me to back out of this discussion.

You aren't. Some of us still haven't turned into goddamn idiots.

He chooses deliberately controversial examples to make a trivial point, then wonders why people get mad. He actually made other similar but less controversial examples immediately before, so it was unnecessary. If he wants to make a controversial point, he should do it long form so he doesn't fuck up and set back any useful discussion. But hey, it's his account and reputation, he can do whatever he wants - but I ain't subscribing.

It's only controversial if you want it to be.

You aren't. Some of us still haven't turned into goddamn idiots.

Now imagine the pair of you during WW2.

"Not all Germans are Nazis"

*whine*

"There are 80 million Germans and only a tiny minority are rounding up Jews, homos, gypsies and invalids"

*indignant roar*

"Germany is The Nation of Peace"

*dismissive*

"Invading Czechoslovakia was a lone wolf attack"

*whine*

"There are 80 million Germans and only a tiny minority are rounding up Jews, homos, gypsies and invalids"

*indignant roar*

*dismissive*

If you change 'German' to 'European' you'd have a reasonably accurate representation of what is going on in the world today with regards to Islamic terrorism.

-X

I imagine it's very difficult for it not to be if you're a victim or witness to rape. It's not as if the point he was making required mentioning it. He'd be better off using Twitter as an RSS feed for his posts, because when he puts the effort in he's usually great. Or, keep it light like Gervais.

I imagine it's very difficult for it not to be if you're a victim or witness to rape. It's not as if the point he was making required mentioning it. He'd be better off using Twitter as an RSS feed for his posts, because when he puts the effort in he's usually great. Or, keep it light like Gervais.

I could choose to be a victim of racism and anti-ethnic violence. Should I?

*whine*

*indignant roar*

*dismissive*

If you change 'German' to 'European' you'd have a reasonably accurate representation of what is going on in the world today with regards to Islamic terrorism.

-X

Except the Muslims are, according to quite a lot of European - invading Europe.

We don't attribute the attack in Norway a few years back to Christians or Right Wing extremists

Because there are not Christian states that represent Christians that do this sort of shit. It's an aberration.

You know who did the most beheading last year? Wasn't ISIS, it was Saudi Arabia.

, we don't consider the actions of Catholics in Northern Ireland during the troubles to represent Catholics elsewhere

But we did consider it Catholic terrorism because of it's explicit Catholic justifications.

so it seems logical to continue to separate extremists from the 1.6 billion people who consider themselves Muslim and live peaceful lives.

That's fantastic.

You do realise though that in Islam, extremists are not in a vacuum? 82% of Egyptians believe apostasy should be rewarded with death. It's not too far off what ISIS think.

Islam is a deeply conservative Culturally Stable Strategy. They are becoming more conservative. More like IS.

Because they let that critical mass develop within them - the same critical mass that the Germans did.

I could choose to be a victim of racism and anti-ethnic violence. Should I?

Sure, then you can ask why it was necessary for the person to compare casual racism to violent racism to establish a basic example of logic. Heck, we could change math textbooks to include such problems as estimating the number of Jews killed per concentration camp given a number distribution.

It's called tact.

Sure, then you can ask why it was necessary for the person to compare casual racism to violent racism to establish a basic example of logic.

And that'd be fine. We can discuss it exactly the same way. Apparently my intelligence allows me to compare distasteful things without getting bogged down in the horribleness of the distasteful thing, to the detriment of the wider point.

Heck, we could change math textbooks to include such problems as estimating the number of Jews killed per concentration camp given a number distribution.

We could also not conflate twitter with education.

Hell, we should not conflate twitter with anything.

Sure, then you can ask why it was necessary for the person to compare casual racism to violent racism to establish a basic example of logic.

And that'd be fine. We can discuss it exactly the same way. Apparently my intelligence allows me to compare distasteful things without getting bogged down in the horribleness of the distasteful thing, to the detriment of the wider point.

Heck, we could change math textbooks to include such problems as estimating the number of Jews killed per concentration camp given a number distribution.

I assume education was his goal. Otherwise he's quite a poor entertainer. :P

I assume education was his goal. Otherwise he's quite a poor entertainer. :P

I'd always thought there were three types of twitter users.

1. Idiots, eg Fairfax staff

2. Trolls (good and bad), eg Dawkins

3. People who need more attention, eg celebrities

:)

Salman Rushdie:

Religion, a medieval form of unreason, when combined with modern weaponry becomes a real threat to our freedoms. This religious totalitarianism has caused a deadly mutation in the heart of Islam and we see the tragic consequences in Paris today. I stand with Charlie Hebdo, as we all must, to defend the art of satire, which has always been a force for liberty and against tyranny, dishonesty and stupidity. 'Respect for religion' has become a code phrase meaning 'fear of religion.' Religions, like all other ideas, deserve criticism, satire, and, yes, our fearless disrespect.
Nailed it.

4. People who use it as a social RSS feed.

Everyone needs to know everyone else's bowel movements. It's frightfully important.

• Like 4

Christ. Agitators no doubt, trying to make this chaos even worse :(

Bullshit. People don't go out committing copycat murders just to make a known group look worse.

Bullshit. People don't go out committing copycat murders just to make a known group look worse.

I should have been more specific. I was talking about possible associates or accomplices of the terrorists who carried out the first shooting. They probably want to do as much damage as possible, maximise the chaos, sense of fear and tension.