Sign in to follow this  
Charcoal

Internet gateway(?)

Hi all, I'm looking for some advice on software and possibly some hardware.

I'm moving into a new house and will be getting FTTP NBN connected.

Because of how it will be all hooked up (FTTP modem -> (?) -> cat5 though the house) now is the time to think about the something(s) to fill in the (?) part.

I was initially thinking of just using my old ADSL modem/router for the router and WiFi capibility.

But then I thought I could pop in some kind of Squid proxy, something to track internet usage, and possibly some other software, maybe a VPN, but I am open to other suggestions.

First up the software:

Squid proxy is mainly because I've wanted to set one up ever since I read about it in the mag. Basically no use for saving data; I'd estimate saving ~50Mb over a month, on a 100Gb cap.

The main thing is a piece of software to track internet usage by device. I have no idea what software is out there to do this.

Also, any suggestions on anything else. I want to keep this light and focused on network admin/reporting; I have a WHS for a bunch of stuff (file/media server, automated backups, remote desktop) and another linux server for dev purposes

Secondly the hardware:

I was thinking of something like this: http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php?g_code=G141578608433

But I'm guessing that what ever I use should have dual Ethernet ports as some kind of pass-though system.

Other than that I have an old 2nd gen Atom netbook that isn't (and can't) doing anyhitng useful right now that might be useful for this.

So, thoughts and ideas?
Thanks in advance!

I like ClearOS (formerly Clark Connect)

http://www.clearfoundation.com/Software/overview.html

It does everything you've listed and worlds more.

that ATOM notebook with some more RAM would probably be perfect. Add a USB ethernet card, and away you go.

Especially if it uses a conventional HDD, because then you can add a TB of space for a SQUID or the like :)

ClearOS looks like everything I could ask for!

Currently the netbook has the max of 2Gb of ram and a 60GB ssd; so that should be all right for this.

I like ClearOS (formerly Clark Connect)

http://www.clearfoundation.com/Software/overview.html

It does everything you've listed and worlds more.

that ATOM notebook with some more RAM would probably be perfect. Add a USB ethernet card, and away you go.

Especially if it uses a conventional HDD, because then you can add a TB of space for a SQUID or the like :)

Running a netbook with USB adaptors hanging out everywhere seems a bit ghetto.

Get an EdgeRouter Lite and a good AP if you want to "do it once and do it properly".

Running a netbook with USB adaptors hanging out everywhere seems a bit ghetto.

Get an EdgeRouter Lite and a good AP if you want to "do it once and do it properly".

Ghetto is fine; there's a nice big box for it to sit in :D