Sign in to follow this  
i_am_banned2

Steam Sale Shenanigans

Another year, another brutal assault on my wallet. It's a hard life.

Picked up a few Japanese ports this time. Quick review:

Final Fantasy XIII $10 - I like to imagine it's a great game and lots of fun to play. It probably looks and sounds good. Unfortunately, all I can do is dream as the 50-fucking-gig download won't be finished anytime soon.

Valkyria Chronicles $15 - This one really is a great game. The graphics aren't spectacular but the game is so much fun you won't care. Lots of story elements and cutscenes, so maybe not suited to pure action fans, though. A must-have for anime fans (they've even included the original Japanese audio [with subtitles] if you don't like the English dub).

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky $14 - Ah, yes. Old school RPG. The combat (and there's a lot of it) is surprisingly fun, if a bit confusing at first. But it's the story and characters that are the heart of any RPG and this one is simply magnificent. Get it. Now, you fools!

Planetary Annihilation, turned out to be very underwhelming. Metal and energy seems to be pointless and may as well be unlimited. You can play for hours and end in stalemate. Essentially comes down to who can spam the most units with almost no strategy involved.

Edited by Oracle X

So far I got Planet Explorers (thanks to Nobody813, as I didn't have any money at the time, half payed him back by buying him Murdered Soul Suspect when it was a daily or something), once my computer is definitely working again I will actually play it for a fair bit. Was also gifted some games from Si-Fi, those being the Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing 1 and 2, as well as S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl and Clear Sky, which I'm grateful for. Quite enjoyed the Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing 1.

Oracle X: With regards to Planetary Annihilation, it is a pretty disappointing game in my opinion as well. The fact they only have one faction turned me off it pretty fast. Plus when I was playing it basically it always appeared to be online even in singleplayer which was kind of annoying. But yeah it seems to come down to who can spam the most units the fastest wins. Which I guess Supreme Commander FA was like that, but with more than 1v1 there was some actual strategy going into it. With all the countering you had to do, that game is still great with FAForever, pity Supreme Commander 2 just wasn't the same, most of the depth was taken out of it. Sure I enjoyed Supreme Commander 2 but the scale seemed smaller too. If only Supreme Commander FA had the path finding of Supreme Commander 2, along with a multi-threaded update. Although the path finding in Supreme Commander FA led to interesting tactics of building walls and having the enemies units get stuck trying to walk around them, slowing them down while you pick them off from a distance.

I have banned myself from any further steam purchases until I play the 50 odd games already on there that have remained unloved since time immemorial.

• Like 1

Bought Dreamfall, Assetto Corsa, Garry's Mod and Bastion. Probably will check again what other games I can grab.

Final Fantasy XIII $10 - I like to imagine it's a great game and lots of fun to play. It probably looks and sounds good. Unfortunately, all I can do is dream as the 50-fucking-gig download won't be finished anytime soon.

Update: Had a decent go at this one now. The graphics - including art and design of stuff - is impressive. 'Staggering' might be a better word. Shitloads of elaborate, movie-style cutscenes. The gameplay is very linear so far, though, so not much exploring (apparently that changes later on in the game). Combat was boring at first but gets better as the game gradually introduces more and more mechanics for you to deal with. Pretty good overall, although fans of the earlier Final Fantasy games seem not to like it much for some reason (this is the first one I've played).

I bought endless space, I guess it was on my wishlist for a long time and was super cheap. Also bought Rocksmith 2014, boy that is frustrating but addictive game.

• Pixel Piracy
  • The Wolf Among Us (girlfriend started reading some TPBs )
  • Bulletstorm

Have not played any of them yet, because I also purchased NBA 2k15 during the sale.

But I bought it at EB games, a day before it was in the Steam sale.

Still ended up being the cheapest at EB.

Divinity also got my attention. So that's my sales done.

Bought Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Blacklist Deluxe Edition (just includes all dlc from what I can tell). And also finally got Borderlands 1 and 2 GOTY, although not from Steam from Gamersgate as it was $17.50 there. That's probably going to be it for me, till say the Winter sale, when I can check out how some of the early access games are going, might get GTA V on day one though for PC, supposedly coming out January 27th, so looking forward to that.

Divinity also got my attention. So that's my sales done.

I got that on release and I can't speak of it highly enough. It's refreshing to find and RPG that is actually hard in places.

And the end fail video is amazingly awesome ;)

-X

Bought Endless Legend. Check out some videos on it, it's a shitload of fun.

Never quite got into endless space. I just don't understand how all the battlefield options work. I've tried reading all the docs, and maybe I'm too dumb, or maybe It's simpler than I think, but frequently it seems like my opponent will use a card, and their ships are nigh invulnerable, but if I use a defensive card which is effective against their attack, I still take a lot of damage. I'd love it if the game told me how much impact the card itself is having, vs the ships matchup. So I know if I'm playing the cards right, but completely outmatched, or vice versa.

Ya Endless Space pissed me off the first few time, heck it still does sometimes but really getting into and get stuck with just one more turn. I might have give Endless Legend a go since I like the other so much.

Also, endless dungeon or whatever it's called.

Very fun co-op. But one of those old school style games, where you die and die and die and die.

I have banned myself from any further steam purchases until I play the 50 odd games already on there that have remained unloved since time immemorial.

You lack the fortitude of a true Steaman Warrior and have brought dishonour to steam hoarders everywhere, and also great shame to your family. Every Steaman Warrior knows the true glory is in the buying not the playing!

• Like 1

Summer sale!

Nabbed Witcher 1 and 2 while they were cheap. Looking at spending some money on Rocksmith DLC. Not sure what else I really want, massive discount notwithstanding.

So far I've only bought Valkyria Chronicles for $4.95. I've got pretty much everything I want already, so I don't see myself going apeshit. I will say that Rockstar can go fuck themselves. They raised the price of GTA V to over $90 so they could hit it with a 25% "discount" and still charge $77. After almost 2 years of ridiculous profits made by them on this game, breaking sales records again and again, not to mention being in the top 5 most purchased games on Steam since it was released, and they go and pull a bullshit stunt like that.

On the other hand, look at CD Project Red. The Witcher 3 is only a few weeks old, and it was reduced along with all their other games. You can pick it up for $54. Not a massive discount, but considering it was only $60 to begin with, and that, once again, it's only WEEKS old, I can't help but to be impressed by the way they conduct themselves, yet again. Every game developer/publisher should take a good long look at themselves, then look at CD Project Red and take some fucking notes.

I had a look, noting that eleven of the twelve games on my wishlist were on sale. After looking at the various game pages and forum posts for them I whittled my wishlist down to six and went on my way buying nothing so far. One game "Shadows:Heretic Kingdoms" I would probably grab but with the publisher bitComposer apparently insolvent and all sale monies going to them currently I'd rather wait and see the outcome of the legal processes currently underway, the devs can't do anything with the game at present.

I grabbed Ziggurat, it was on my wish list and only a few dollars, might get around to playing it :P

I did grab Valkyria Chronicles last month for $6.79USD and haven't played it yet.
Could have saved $1.80 USD if I waited for the sale!

Might Grab Transistor for the girlfriend, she loved Bastion.

Apart from those, nothing else is really grabbing me.
Civ:BE is still way too much (fuck you 2k).