scruffy1

first build of raid 1 - how slow is that ?

i have a ts212p with samsung hd204ui, but it has reported "bad sectors"

presciently, i also have a newer identical drive, and have installed it, and it is presently (slowly) migrating

specs of the nas are here

questions :
how long should 2tb disk (about 80% full) take to migrate
as i don't have a third drive, how do i replace the faulty one and allow it to build a raid 1 array ? will any healthy 2tb drive be effective ?

and

any recommendations for a 4tb replacement drive that i can simply back up to the 2tb in an external case pending raid 1 array with 2 x 4tb if i get keen to spend twice the $ ?

thanks

Yes any 2TB drive will do, In fact its better to mismatch them since different brands USUALLY fail at different times.

2TB? Sata2?

Takes me about 3 hours for 1tb, so with bad sectors, and double the data, I'd suggest about 8 hours.

If you hit problems, try using Roadkills Unstoppable Copier

http://www.roadkil.net/program.php?ProgramID=29

thanks for the link, but it's all happening in the nas, although very very very slowly at 14% after 6 hours but at least it's increasing over that time

the last message pointed out disk read / write error on disk 1 (the dying one) and i expect it is trying to glean what it can by repeated assault

worst case i have redundant backups of my photos, and cloud backup of essential stuff

oooh.... got to 15% while i was typing, but looks like it'll take a lot longer - as long as the disk doesn't die in passing on its knowledge it can take a week for all i care :)

Ive always pulled the dying disk and run it in my machine, and copied BACK to the nas.

Your way will work, but there's less recovery tools for failed\corrupted data built into a NAS box.

It should take somewhat less time if nothing else is accessing the data... if you can go full offline then I'd be doing that.

• Like 1

sadly my nerdly skills don't run to accessing a bespoke nas drive from a windoze machine - it isn't quite as simple as mounting the drive last time i had a play, and i can't be bothered to build a quick linux box

as for going offline, is it as simple as pulling the ethernet cable, or would that corrupt anything ?

20 hours and 26 %

i guess the old drive is sadder than i thought, but we're getting there

took the opportunity to pull all the music (80gig) which probably slowed it down fr a few hours only - everything else is just movies and tv, so that's no major loss that can't be reclaimed later

Finished yet?

I can only imagine the slowdown was because it was trying to repair the drive while it was also trying to read the drive.