Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Shrinking my old gaming rig from ATX -> m-ITX

Recommended Posts

Hi all,


First post back after a serious hiatus and was looking to pick the brains of you all regarding a wee opportunity in disguise i have happening. Basically in a nutshell I have the below components I'm currently using in my gaming box, but would really like to move it across into a small itx case. I recently put together a basic HTPC build in a CoolerMaster Elite 130 box for the living room and was surprised how easy it was and what I could fit in it.


Components are:

  • CPU: Socket 1156 i5 750
  • Mobo: MSI P55-GD65
  • HDD: 1 run of the mill 3.5 inch drive
  • Memory: Kingston Value ram (2 x 4g modules)
  • GPU: Gigabyte GTX 470
  • PSU: OCZ Modstream Pro 700w modular
  • Case: Xigmatek Mid tower (don't know model)

I was impressed to recently learn that I have had the above build since August 2010!, with the only change being a bump in ram from 4-8gb! It still runs battlefield 4 decently :)


Point to note:

- GPU will be upgraded this year (currently thinking a GTX 760 or 770) so I can turn on a few more pretties in Battefield Hardline. (No SLI/Xfire plans)

- I plan on playing games on 1920x1080 as that's my 24' screens native res.

- No solid plans on upgrading CPU unless I really need to, its still running stock speeds and cooling

- RAM upgrade may be needed in the next year or 2? I know most m-ITX boards only have 2 slots, so may need to replace with a full 16gb kit sometime :/

- PSU is modular and isn't too large (cannot find the dimensions of it atm), so I believe most 'enthusiast/gaming' itx cases should be able to fit it.


Major Issues:

- Current motherboard will have to go, as its Full ATX. However as Socket 1156 is EOL i'm having a hard time tracking a replacement m-ITX board down via the usual online channels. It would need to be cheapish and match if not better the current boards performance.


Other possibilities

- Sell off CPU, Mobo, Case and replace with a i5 4690 and h97/z97 combo and new case. Really is gonna come down to dollars, cents and what my best bang for buck will be.


Does anybody have thoughts on the above, I know I'm thinking out loud a bit lol





Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wouldn't bother buying old tech to suit a smaller case. I normally use this as an opportunity to upgrade my entire rig - starting anew.


Otherwise if the system performs fine as-is, try and hold off for a little while at least while newer tech approaches, often as it does


.. Just an opinion :)

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

if i was to go itx it would be in SilverStone Raven RVZ01 which would need a sfx psu and itx mb

but i just shrunk from full tower down to matx with a watercooled tj08-ew


selling your mb\cpu\ram\psu\case seems like the best option

broadwell is just coming out which should drop power use a bit which is a good thing in a itx

not sure how long intel will sit on skylake


for the gpu i would go 280 3g $250 or gtx970 4g $500

  • Like 1

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I know its late, but my system still rocks an Intel i5 750, I have it overclocked to 4.0Ghz on air cooling, that is a 50% increase. I've gone higher and it has run stable, well, until the hot and humid periods of the summer kicks in, but at 4.0ghz it still runs fine through that.


I also want to shrink my desktop but I cannot see a real world performance benefit of upgrading my motherboard, CPU and RAM. So I don't want to buy a new set yet, I'll wait until there is something worth upgrading too. So I'm considering a small quiet case that can still hold my current build including my overly large GPU, I haven't seen anything yet.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

So I havent pulled the plug on this just yet, been too busy playing BF hardline. I know i know, but i paid RRP for it and It cant just sit there lol!


I only realised I didn't have an idea on what my current system would fetch if I sold it as it to finance a new box. Id prefer to not part it out. Can anyone ball park it? If i decide to ill prob list it up here, ebay etc..



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this