Sign in to follow this  
vado55

new graphics card will not power up the pc

Hi guys,

I have recently upgraded my graphics card from: Ge Force GTX 550i to MSI Radeon R9 270 2GB. Im running an i5 core @ 3.30 GHz with cooler master 600w psu. When I instaledl the new graphics card all the fans are working and spinning but there is no beeps and get a black screen on the monitor (monitor does not turn on). I have noticed when I opened the case that the graphics card fans spin when the pc turns on and then they stop and then pick up again. After turning on and off twice the fans continue spinning continually after that. Not sure where the problem is. Im pretty sure I have enough power supply in my psu as it is quite new. I replaced it about 6 months ago.

Any suggestions?

Try without any aux power inputs going to the card, you should get a text message telling you it needs the extra power.

With the aux power, in the case of cards having 2 sets of plugs, it's usually a good idea to source the power from different rails. Most PSUs will have a dedicated plug for graphics card and you use an adaptor on molex to get the other. In some cases the 5V wires will be 2 different colours depending on what rail they come off.

Possible the card may need to be reseated as well. I've had that issue in the past and no beep codes were present.

Edited by ash_XP

Reseat = remove from the slot and reinsert.

With graphics cards it's easy to not clip them in properly. A good way to judge is that you'll usually see the gold contacts on the card - you should see the same amount of contact from one end of the card to the other.