Splash1

Mo-Bo renovation with HD7970

G'day,

My current system is a GA-EX58-UD5 (rev. 1.0) mobo (a little research may reveal how excited I was when I bought and installed back in 2009...hehe) currently powered by a Corsiar HX620W power supply and fitted with a 1GB Nvidia GTS250.

Having purchased an "ASUS HD7970-DC2T-3GD5" 18 months ago, I am only just installing. Partly due to an aquired health problem and also due to having aquired a small family memeber too....LOL.

So long story short, as well as having the equipment installed as listed above, I also have the listed equipment below. I have reserached the ASUS HD7970-DC2T-3GD5 is of course PCI Express 3, but should be compatible with my PCI Express 2 Mo-Bo. I got as far as getting the Graphics card out tonight and sorting through cables, but I did'nt have any more 8-pin cables in the Corsiar HX620W Kit. So with the Corsiar HX620W being underpowered , I started to expore my unused Corsair HX1000W. Specs posted with link and also copied below.

The ASUS HD7970-DC2T-3GD5 apparantly requires, as per fine writing on box for "recommended system requirements"

*A minimum of 600W system power supply (with 12V current rating of 42A)

*2*8 pin Express supplementary power connector.

So now the obvious questions start:

Theres clearly 2x 8-Pin power connectors on the side of the HD7970 GPU. Do both have to be pluged? The Corsair HX1000W power supply (in untouched box) has a +12V1 and +12V2 rails available each with 40 Amps ,and not required 42A? Is this power supply worth un wrapping from its box? If its has an inadequate power supply, what would be a feasable replacement?

ASUS HD7970-DC2T-3GD5
http://www.asus.com/au/Graphics_Cards/HD7970DC2T3GD5/overview/

GA-EX58-UD5 (rev. 1.0)
http://www.gigabyte.com.au/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2958#sp

Corsair HX1000W
http://www.corsair.com/en/professional-series-hx1000-80-plus-certified-modular-power-supply
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Corsair-HX1000W-Power-Supply-Review/484/10

Thank you very much for reading upto this point, loking forward to some inetersting and much required answers.

Edited by Splash1

Each rail falls just short of the 42 required. I'd not feel safe running a graphics card even if the rail put a couple of Amps over claimed peak requirement.

Also consider that at least one of the rails has to power other stuff like drives and possibly also Aux power to the motherboard.

And depending on configuration, you can't always segregate stuff as you'd like to - e.g. the SATA power connectors mightn't be in the mix you want.

• Like 1

i have that gpu and my system only sucked ~300w from the wall when running it

your 620w psu will run it easy

they beef up its power supply for overclocking

the psu requirement is simply based on the 2x8pin pci-e not how much power the gpu actually uses and it leaves a lot of room for crap psu that cant supply there rated power and a very hungry system it is not how much power the card can draw

if you had a modern i5 and wernt overclocking to hard i would be happy to run a 7970 with one of these psu

antec tpc 450 2x20amp one 12v rail is for the mb the other the gpu

CoolerMaster V450S single 36a 12v

you could run three 7970 of the hx1000

Edited by Dasa
  • Like 1

At this time.....I think the jury's still out on this one for me. LOL

I do think however that both of you have something to be taken onboard. Rybags for being technicaly correct with regards to my Corsair HX1000W having only 40A, and Not the 42A required. Dasa for having tried a simular setup which worked and for stating that the manufacturers put a enough safety factor inn.

But rather comically, this leaves me with a postive and negative answer, so I'm not technicaly convinced either way on this. So is there anything else inn this to convince me I need another new power supply to achieve?

having also tried other sources, such as the reviews on this and similiar cards, they showed two PCI-E connectors plugged into the GPU. However, just as a matter of interest I was also supplied a "Y" connector " consisting of 2x 6 plugs joining together at a 8x Pin plug.

Now the manuals I received with this rather moderatly expensive GPU card is less then satisfactory, perhaps I should just express this as SH*T. Mmm I was quite surprised really !!

review here with the power use of the card at 175-200w while gaming spiking to a unrealistic load of 300w under fur

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_980/24.html

if you crank up the v and oc it heavily then power use can go up a lot but not enough to be a problem for either psu

also there is psu calc where if you enter the details correct it can tell you what size psu you should get

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp

also if a good psu is somehow overloaded your pc should just power off

if your psu is working at all hard its fan will become very loud

if the fan isnt revving very hard its safe to say your psu is doing it easy with the card

if however you had some crap psu that says 600w but can only provide 300w and doesnt have good protection built in then when you try to draw around 300w its likely to go bang with a loud flash some smoke and often a few dead pc compontents

Edited by Dasa

i dont see why it wouldnt run, im using that same PSU for my system (in sig), this PSU has worked well for 3 builds over the last 5yrs.

Just out of curiosity I tried "eXtreme Power Supply Calculator Lite" and here's what it came up with. I think it's pretty close to the guesstemate, but as we know light version dosn't show rail Amps.

But about this stage I would like to thank all involved for your help. I'm about ti wire up the extra PCI-e cable and plug in the GPU. If I post back nicely, assume there's no smoke filling my room....lol

On another website post, I don't know if I can mention, I posted similar PSu question and conclusion to day was :"The 620W PSU should work great for the upgrade." Thanks to DASA for staying with me on this, and Cleadge for pointing out He has similar specs too.

PSUCalculation.jpg

Edited by Splash1

Just out of curiosity I tried "eXtreme Power Supply Calculator Lite" and here's what it came up with.

Can I ask why you're still worried?

Dasa has confirmed he has this card, and has an active power monitor at his wall socket.

He's been able to provide EXACTLY what it's using. 250W will be max it can draw while normal gaming.

use the 620PSU and go for gold. It's fine.

mate and I ran a 775 system from an old laptop power brick, and a 5v 3A voltage regulator, everyone, for the sake of 'covering their asses' over estimates power requirements.

I'd imagine its for support reasons. They can instantly eliminate 'power' if its over X ammount.

I ran an overclocked Gigabyte 7970 from an Antec High Current Gamer 620W PSU, on an X58-UD5 as well even, absolutely no worries at all for the last 18 months/couple of years.

Edited by millen

If volts*amps=watts

The difference between 40a and 42a is 480w>504w per rail?

That's 960wats on the rails, vs 1008wats on the rails?

You have a 620w rated psu, no difference there?

dunno

Thanking you all for writing your responses. I hope you are

lwell on this long weekend ;)

Having taken all advice and cautions on board, I finally installed the HD7970 into its resting place on my mobo. It's big, bold and beuitiful. However it's also very bad.

Having finally seated the GPU in the mobo, I uninstalled Nvidia drivers by using windows device manager, then rebooted and installed latest AMD drivers. Long story s

hort, the PC booted into my very 1st BSOD. (Blue screen of death).

Researched and found that its wise to use a 3rd party cleaner in SAFE MODE. Following instructions succesfully, I completed what should be a clean install with new drivers -cant confirm right now as away from PC thank God.

Since then I have been experiencing what a few AMD users of this card have, as mentioned on various forums, and thats constant headaches with freezing and crashes during game play. Running windows and surfing net all seems to be fine but when running games, or more specifically combat flightsim Cliffs of Dover by Steam install, random freezes occur and have been documented on forums with various theories and solutions.

I have tried 3 to 4 different drivers myself, with some holding out a little longer than others, and I still haven't seen a definite and conclusive answer to this phenomena .

So my misadventure with this AMD card should probably end here. The only things I can think of trying next is a stress test to see how the card performs, just in case COD and or Steam are causing conflicts. Also might just dropp in the 1000w PSU and fry the thing! No wait, I mean test it on it's own seperate power supply just to satisfy curiosity with regards to my system setup. But I too have doubts that this could be the solution to my painful woes. It will most likely prove to be some kind of driver issue conflict.

I plan to update too Win 7 on a single SSD in near future, getting away from Raid 5 currently running off Mo-bo.

So, has anyone else, experienced similar issues? Monza has a similar setup , as you pointed out.

run a stress test like fur on the card or 3dmark

its possible the card is just faulty and needs to go for rma

what driver removal software did you use? and did you remove both nvidia and amd drivers with it before reinstalling?

you have somthing older than windows 7? like xp\vista? you really need up upgrade that could well be the problem

+1 Dasa, furmark your card for as long as you can bear.

If it passes, the card itself is OK, and drivers in games are causing problems.