Sign in to follow this  
Master_Scythe

Liquid metal paste

Anyone used it?

I've just ordered some CoolLabratory Liquid Ultra; while not as cool looking to use as Liquid Pro, has anyone used a liquid metal thermal paste before?

Temperature drops as much as 4*C have been recorded over traditional paste types.

Looking cool! (no pun intended)

LiquidPro_2.jpg

Nope. Unless it's Mercury (extremely doubtful) then my guess is that it's probably fine granules like Arctic Silver.

No idea what the Silver % of AS is but I'd guess it isn't very high. I suppose by introducing less expensive and less conductive other metals into the mix they might increase the overall conductivity and performance of the stuff without increasing the price too much.

Will be interesting to see how it goes... and of course longevity is a factor. I don't really bother with the silver pastes anymore, found that you had to reapply after about a year or so.

Alloy of the metal components gallium, indium, rhodium, silver, zinc and stannous.

Gallium has a melting point about 29 C and can be alloyed with many metals, retaining a low melting point.

OK, makes sense. The thermal conductivity is nothing special but obviously it's use in this case is to produce a liquid alloy.

Yup. and a heatspreader is Zinc coated, and a cooler is usually copper cored. So all is good.

People usually use Liquid Pro to join the core to the heatspreader after delidding.

Yup. and a heatspreader is Zinc coated, and a cooler is usually copper cored. So all is good.

People usually use Liquid Pro to join the core to the heatspreader after delidding.

I've heard good things about it but haven't tried myself, im still using AS5.

Might try this next time i have the waterblock off.

At the very least graduate from AS5, its 'shit' by todays standards.

I use it for customer builds, because its better than Intels pastes, and I'm not overclocking customers machines.

Try some GELID GC-Extreme for a traditional non conducting paste.

At the very least graduate from AS5, its 'shit' by todays standards.

I use it for customer builds, because its better than Intels pastes, and I'm not overclocking customers machines.

Try some GELID GC-Extreme for a traditional non conducting paste.

Ehh last time i put the block back on it was more of a "use what ever is at hand" and given the situation i would have used toothpaste if that is all that existed.

And at this stage it won't be coming off again until the whole machine is scraped and replaced.

I was sent a syringe of that stuff when I was still working on the mag, but never got around to reviewing it. TIM reviews were lots of testing time for few clicks and there was always something more interesting to write about.

Personally silicon-based TIM is what I prefer, Noctua NT-H1.

Should be fun to play with, nearly got some Pro for my cpu since its delidded. Ultra might be better for delid but just went with Gelid GC-Extreme since its non conductive and didnt want to take more chances than I already did by haha

From what I remember NT-H1 is usually right near GC-Extreme.... GC is quite thick, which I like but some might not like that.

Need to give us some before/after with that Ultra :)