Nan0_Seconds

Who Here Plays Guitar

I own at Kayne electric guitar, I've just re stringed it using .88 pick.

I've been looking around at different apps on apple store and also google play for anything to get me back into the rhythm. I've even noticed on steam Rocksmith 2014 looks a bit promising but for 50 dollars to pricey. so what does everyone else use to either learn or make good practise on their guitars?

To me Rocksmith sounds like another 'use this to become a shredder in no time' method, but if it gets you motivated, then great.

If you want to break down music and learn it, look into Anytune, available for Mac and iOS. Hands down the best piece of software that I've ever used for practice. Lots of software does the same thing, but Anytune has very good speed and pitch adjustment, useful loop tools, and easy to read markers so you can skip to the hard bits.

Practice is pretty similar for all instruments. Check out Bulletproof Musician for some tips on practice, mentality, etc.

Edit... I don't play electric guitar, sold a K. Yairi acoustic a few years ago. I have a dusty 1976 Stingray 4 string sitting in the corner. Amp is a Trace Elliot head, with a 2x10" ported Eden speaker. Sometimes used a Focusrite Tone Master or FMR RNC for compression.

Edited by komuso

I have two electric guitars, Fender Strat (Squire) and Epiphone Les Paul Special II (slash version). Yea they are not expensive guitars but they are fun to play. I love the looks of the Les Paul one I have as it is yellow: http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Les-Paul/Slash-AFD-Les-Paul-Special-II-Guitar-Outfit-h.aspx

The first rocksmith is fun and is cheaper, you also need the special cord though. I like those games as it is teaching me stuff but also find myself just wanting to jam whatever I fee like many times. I really only know a few chords and need to buy one of those posters with finger placement that you hang on the wall lol.

Rocksmith 2014 is fun for what it is, and there's a good fan community making custom songs if what you want to play isn't in the official list of songs.

It goes on sale pretty cheap on steam, but I don't think there's any sales coming up soon, and more to the point, the steam purchase means you still need to buy the cable separate. Maybe worth checking out at JB or EB or something?

That being said, I paid full price for it and have easily spent $100 on DLC in the last year or so, and am not complaining.

Nothing beats playing along to a CD or the radio, tho', if you just want to practice rhythms and etc, because free is free.

The only instrument I've ever played is the recorder, badly, at primary school. If musicality were bones, I'd be a jellyfish.

Yup, still playing daily after 30 something years. I owned a few guitars. Equal favourites in my collection are my Maton JB6 and Fender Telecaster, Traveller Guitar EG2, Ashton semi acoustic, Yamaha acoustic and I was just given a cheap as SX electric guitar and mini amp that a mate won at the pub and that's not enough guitars as far as I'm concerned but the misses says......blah blah something what oh yea coffee would be nice............

There is no quick learning program on any format that's going to teach you to play or enjoy your guitar. Get lessons from someone that's happy to teach you, not just a money spinner. Sitting in front of another guitarist and having a visual learning experience as well as a bouncing sound from student to teacher is invaluable on so many levels.

Youtube have heaps of videos that's also a great learning tool, but pick her up every free moment you can.

20 years here. Only a pup compared to ^this guy^ :P

I say to break down your playing into two components (and you did say you wanted to learn, so i'm assuming you're starting from scratch again. if not, the below still applies, just you've progressed further along):

1) Learn to play guitar. Learn what notes the strings are, and then learn how to determine what note is what on the fretboard (Protip: you only need to learn the first 11 frets on the fretboard, then it repeats itself). These will help you with barre/power chords. Learn how to make a chord, you're most likely going to learn how to play the aforementioned barre/power chords before you move on to open chords as they're significantly easier to learn. Learn open chords and how to transition between them.

This will set you up with the basics for playing songs.

2) Play songs. Look up chord charts for your favourite songs (and be realistic here. You might really enjoy listening to Slayer or Dream Theatre, or whatever, but you're going to be playing Paul Kelly esque tracks to begin with). Learn how to play songs all the way through. As you progress, you'll find the need for additional chords that you've not yet covered, or you're going to learn how to play riffs. These will assist you moving forward with Point 1 - theres no point telling you to learn scales, modes, and so on if you're not able to relate to it.

There are plenty of resources online which will show you the above. But if you follow this two pronged approach to playing, you'll be learning and enjoying what you learn as you go along.

As for rehearsing, i'm in the rehearsal studio at least two weekends a month going over our setlist. When I'm not doing that, I'm either working on the songs at home, working on my own songs, or just playing along to a cd.

What strings are you using? Your pick isn't so important (tho i reckon you're rocking the green tortex 0.88 - great pick, I have em by the hundreds) but you strings will be.

i've played ukulele, then a classical acoustic guitar since i guess age 10, and the last 30 years it's been mostly a maton bg 808

self taught, with technique that makes trained guitarists cringe, and with a percussive style and use of harmonics that makes andy mckee look like he was influenced by me somehow telepathically

picks are for others, despite my very profound lack of fingernails; i strum steel strings with the tips and pulps of my fingers and the side of my thumb, but i also thump rhythm with the same thumb on the sound board during strumming

i can't read charts much, and can only name chords vaguely - when people ask "what's that chord?" i have to say - "like this" and given my unique and bizarre fingering, they look shocked that i can play it at all; despite this i am proficient with quite a range of jazzy chords,

do i give a rat's arse ? no way ! 45+ years into being a complete hack, i have a small repertoire that i can thrash spectacularly, and my cover versions of several songs are imho way superior to the originals (excluding my very own originals, one of which deserves to be a hit single....)

apps weren't invented till much later, and i doubt i could read them with the font sizes these days, as i have eyes that reflect my venerable existence :)

• Like 2

i've played ukulele, then a classical acoustic guitar since i guess age 10, and the last 30 years it's been mostly a maton bg 808

self taught, with technique that makes trained guitarists cringe, and with a percussive style and use of harmonics that makes andy mckee look like he was influenced by me somehow telepathically

picks are for others, despite my very profound lack of fingernails; i strum steel strings with the tips and pulps of my fingers and the side of my thumb, but i also thump rhythm with the same thumb on the sound board during strumming

i can't read charts much, and can only name chords vaguely - when people ask "what's that chord?" i have to say - "like this" and given my unique and bizarre fingering, they look shocked that i can play it at all; despite this i am proficient with quite a range of jazzy chords,

do i give a rat's arse ? no way ! 45+ years into being a complete hack, i have a small repertoire that i can thrash spectacularly, and my cover versions of several songs are imho way superior to the originals (excluding my very own originals, one of which deserves to be a hit single....)

apps weren't invented till much later, and i doubt i could read them with the font sizes these days, as i have eyes that reflect my venerable existence :)

Scruffy1, mate, I believe you are what is called a musician, by creating sound out of what ever feeling your minds motor skills coordinates graciously to your fingers and ears, resulting in either an internal smile of satisfaction or turns heads with ponderous questionable amusement. This is what playing is all about, unconditionally letting out sound to rage, rock or blues that soothes the sole. Its playing with other like minded mus so's or alone is just fucking awesome, enjoy brother.....

If you're learning any instrument I think a good technical workbook is worth it's weight in gold because they ultimately 'leave you to your own devices' and teach you the ins and out of your instrument. The downside is that many of them are catered towards 'intermediate/advanced' players so things such as playing technique and chord/scale variations are often ommitted [unless it's a 'cookbook']. I'd recommend finding a local sheet music store and asking the staff what they suggest. They often consult and take orders from music teachers (if they're not teachers and musicians themselves) so they'd be able to give a good idea of where to begin.

Crazy cheers for all the replys, alot of useful infomation here, sorry for late reply to internet died over this weekend and no mobile data left either :( won't be fixed till next week at this stage.

A bloke I watch occasionally on Youtube, Igor Presnyakov, recommends www.guitarbots.com

I know the tuner is good, I tried the game but I find it has a hard time picking up my guitar on my ipad's Mic even with it tuned to the apps tune program.

A bloke I watch occasionally on Youtube, Igor Presnyakov, recommends www.guitarbots.com

I know the tuner is good, I tried the game but I find it has a hard time picking up my guitar on my ipad's Mic even with it tuned to the apps tune program.

Get an iRig off eBay.

http://www.ebay.com.au/bhp/irig

Allows you to do shit like this:

Get an iRig off eBay.

http://www.ebay.com.au/bhp/irig

Allows you to do shit like this:

-

Man that video was fully sick, should work for android as well?