Sign in to follow this  
codecreeper

Temporary profile

Anyone ever get a weird message when logging into Windows that you are using a temporary profile.

Kinda got me worried why this happened its the first time i have seen this message.

Could a program update in the background disturbed my windows login.

Does it happen every time you login?

Sometimes your profile can corrupt.

Do you want to keep the user name? If so, create a new user account with admin privileges. Reboot. Login with new account. Browse to <drive>\users\ and RENAME the broken account (Don't delete).

Reboot again. Login with old user name. Account recreated. Got to renamed account and copy the desktop, favourites, my docs/vids/pics folders and paste them in the recreated user profile folder. Windows will ask if you want to merge. Click "Yes".

Done.

Delete 'temp admin' account. Maybe keep 'corrupt' account for a week just in case you missed something.

AD

Corrupt profile.

Double check your HDD isn't starting to fail.

Otherwise its just bad luck, nuke the profile (in fact, if you can, nuke all the profiles) and make a new one.

• Like 1

Corrupt profile.

Double check your HDD isn't starting to fail.

Otherwise its just bad luck, nuke the profile (in fact, if you can, nuke all the profiles) and make a new one.

Found out something was updating on startup ,think it may have been adobe. As all my sites need to be reactivated again.

I just shut down pc and waited and restarted the PC it was back to normal. My HDD is over 6 years so i did back up everything just in case it was the HDD failing too.

It happened again this morning and i caught the culprit ,it was adobe flash it was on the highest priority in booting before windows. So i just disabled the update checks on boot ups.

It happened again this morning and i caught the culprit ,it was adobe flash it was on the highest priority in booting before windows. So i just disabled the update checks on boot ups.

Flash is installed for YouTube? You know they've defaulted to HTML5 now, right? Some legacy stuff hanging around, but you'll probably be able to get rid of that infection vector if you only watch new clips.

Flash is installed for YouTube? You know they've defaulted to HTML5 now, right? Some legacy stuff hanging around, but you'll probably be able to get rid of that infection vector if you only watch new clips.

and for most social media sites too ,including this site. Some users upload ytube links so i need to activate it for this site.

Found out something was updating on startup ,think it may have been adobe. As all my sites need to be reactivated again.

I just shut down pc and waited and restarted the PC it was back to normal. My HDD is over 6 years so i did back up everything just in case it was the HDD failing too.

Well run a full disk check on the HDD to make sure for heavens sake.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/guide-to-using-check-disk-in-windows-vista/

As for the normal boot later on it may still be using the temp profile.

You can check by following these instructions.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947242

applies to Win 7 as well.

• Like 1

Well run a full disk check on the HDD to make sure for heavens sake.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/guide-to-using-check-disk-in-windows-vista/

As for the normal boot later on it may still be using the temp profile.

You can check by following these instructions.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947242

applies to Win 7 as well.

Thanks for you concern mate .

I have backed everything up for safety , being totally reliant on my PC that downtime would kill me.

Thanks for you concern mate .

I have backed everything up for safety , being totally reliant on my PC that downtime would kill me.

And if your HDD is failing and the PC falls over your downtime will be even more as you get a new HDD, reinstall everything and restore your data backups.

Run CHKDSK overnight for heavens sake you surely can't be using the computer 24/7.

Weird things are happening tonight.

Cleared my Firefox cache and now Adobe Flash needed updating.

Then i checked my Downloads Directory it was like taking 5mins ,normally opens in an instant. The Bar was just going along the top and kept going and i could hear the HDD really grinding. I am thinking its a sign of a HDD failure coming.

Did a Malware scan and AV scan all came up clear.

My comps always blowup near Easter Weekend.

Today when i turned on my PC it seems its running a lot smoother so backed up all my important stuff just in case.

Explorer loads fine so does everything else. I am pointing my nasty finger at AVG again.

Strange even playing games seems faster with HDD access. Normally Star Trek Online takes 3mins to load up fully ,today it took just under 1 min and it even downloaded a patch.

Might grab a HDD checking tool and run a scan on it ,and let it run overnight.

Maybe a little late but usually when I have a temp profile issue I do this:

Step 1. Reboot the computer again and logon as the local admin.

Step 2. Open Regedit and go following registry key path:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

Step 3. Find the Profile that has the ProfileImagePath of the users you are fixing and delete that entire key.

Step 4. Log off and logon as the user you are trying to fix.

Maybe a little late but usually when I have a temp profile issue I do this:

Step 1. Reboot the computer again and logon as the local admin.

Step 2. Open Regedit and go following registry key path:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

Step 3. Find the Profile that has the ProfileImagePath of the users you are fixing and delete that entire key.

Step 4. Log off and logon as the user you are trying to fix.

I don't have a profile i think i just run as Administrator

Every login has a profile even Administrator.

• Like 2

Every login has a profile even Administrator.

i have always thought only users have separate profiles.

In Windows Setup for 7 64 bit all it says in startup is a name for computer, and then a user name.

But my system is always running in Administrator mode.

Your username is your profile name. User, poweruser or administrator privs don't change whether you have a profile/home folder or not.