Sign in to follow this  
aliali

Codec issues

Seem to be running in to some codec issues here with some files I have acquired.

MPC HC says can't render. VLC just doesn't play them and neither does WMP or Quicktime.

Ran Mediainfo over the file and it outputs nothing except the file name. Gspot also returns zero results, but it is an old programme.

After extraction there is the video file name with an .avi extension plus a codec folder with a setup.exe. Extracting the setup.exe in a sandbox gives two files rvu.uvr and uuj.dll

Basically no way am I running the exe for the supposed codec despite scans with Avira and Kaspersky coming up clean.

Nero Recode and DVDFab also can't open the file.

File name suggests it is an Xvid but if so not one I can play which would be odd.

So any suggestions on how to figure out what is going on?

Done a google search on the filename(s)? I quite often find suspect files have been spotted before.

Apart from that, I'd be resigned to not seeing whatever is supposed to be on the clip. Or, if you have a sandbox (as you seem to), let the exe loose in there - worst that can happen is you have to nuke the box.

How's the filesize in comparison to others like Mpeg2, XVid or MP4 vs how long you'd expect it to be? That might give a clue to what it is.

If it's somewhat large then maybe it's a PVR file, much of them use nonstandard extensions and I beileve some go so far as to mangle the data such that you can't just playback the embedded MPEG2 stream.

I'd be suspicious in any case, in this day and age there's no reason to deviate from the standard offerings that the popular players and settop boxes can handle.

Another option might be try and drop it into a converter like Handbrake, Freemake Video Converter or SUPER and see what they make of it (though when it comes to suspicious software I'd rate the latter 2 of those in that category).

• Like 1

Seems to be several files not just one.

File sizes around 800 to 900 Mb which is about right.

Google search turned up nothing relevant.

Handbrake just doesn't want to know about it.

Tried PotPlayer with all the optional codecs and basically it said does not seem to have any video. So reckon they may be bullshit files? More crap from MPAA perhaps?

Might be bullshit. The common players and utilities will usually still work with common types if they have the wrong file ext.

Maybe a hex/text viewer will reveal something, there's often eyecatchers in the headers of common filetypes. AVIs should have the fourCC text which is associated with playback codecs.

Well UUJ.dll is definitely a virus.

To be more specific, a Trojan BHO with an undetermined payload (likely a botnet).

If you have a copy of Notepad++ or Notepad2 (so they can open large files), open it in plain text.

I know that sound wierd, but usually there IS some english toward the top of the file letting you know what it is.

For example, EXE's start with..... god its been years... AE? or something like that......

Dump what you might consider the 'header' and we'll see if its anything humanly readable.

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestion M_S but already deleted them and CBF redownloading, was just something to pass the time and I can live without them. :P

Will keep your suggestion in mind if (when) it happens again.

Funny thing is if it is an MPAA organised anti piracy thing it is actually counter-productive in my case. From memory all my DVD, BD and Itunes purchases for at least the last 5 years have purely been based on stuff I have acquired by alternative means.

That is if I think it it is a good tv series, movie or album I try and buy it.

Such a shame, I'd have loved to have known what it was :)

I doubt it was any MPAA thing; they'd be stupid to risk distributing a BHO trojan with anything that can be traced to them.

I also thought it could have been an older (but awesome) file type; like .RAT (RatDVD), or maybe an unedited TV recording (.ts, transport stream)

e4343b7c39407f62c2fc076b1d5b8af6.jpg

Ah, what an age we live in.

Edited by Master_Scythe