Forum upgrade is live! Read more... ×
Master_Scythe

What do you make of strange temps?

Now I'm not one to normally worry about temps.

Most solid state electronic devices have a 10 year service life; so even a halving is a 5 year life.

But I'm concerned because laptops are such expensive beasts

The CPU is an I7 4710HQ, and is idling at 55*C.

This looks pretty normal.

Running at non-turbo speeds, it maxes out at about 71~75*C, which is good enough.

At turbo (on AC power) I see up to 85*C. This is quite a bit higher than my replaced laptop (same model, faulty screen).

I get throttling with Furmark running at the same time as IntelXTU; hits 90*C and throttles 10% but the GPU is bloody cool running (75-80*C).

I can only come to two conclusions.

1. The CPU has too much\little paste.

2. the GPU is BETTER cooled in this one, therefore the CPU is absorbing all that heat (shared twin heatpipe).

What do we think? I've tried 3 repastes, and this is the closest to 'as good as it was' as I can get.

Are these temps reported by on-chip sensor or external? External could mean variance between same sensor type or maybe they started using another.

Maybe even the same CPU has a certain expected variance among chips or even individual cores.

(a bit of assuming going on here that we're talking same model laptop A vs B)

really cant be bothered disassembling the laptop again to get the battey out.

If i'm going to bother I'll just 3rd time repaste.

I used a line about the size of half a bamboo skewer on the CPU and a thin 'X' pattern across the GPU

Oh it's an inbuilt battery. In that case don't remove it.

I'd just put a small blob in the middle and let it spread itself under the pressure of the mount. Well, I'd just not pull it apart in the first place tbh. :P

well yes its overheating, hence the throttle.

The first example didnt throttle at all. Oh well. it seems to be in line (a bit better) than everyone else on the interwebs.

I repasted one more time and got 1*C cooler CPU; it'll do. I also turned the maximum multiplier down one step for 4 core; keeps it pretty stable. Can't complain :)

Yeah the heatsink looks nasty compared to the first one.

This one has scrapes from the GPU core and a few deep gouges from god knows what.

I might contact Gigabyte and see if they'll send me a new one (heatsink, not laptop).