Coming soon... so in the meantime here is some reviews

bit-tech

legitreviews

hitechlegion

arstechnica

anandtech

Dairy pc died

Duron 650, a7v, 256m, 80g wd

The amd opteron system i tried to replace the old pc with wouldn't work with the usb dongle drivers for the automation system so its running a Pentium 3 at the moment

For anyone thats interested in the automation system in the dairy this was filmed by the builders when it was constructed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhB_BzldFA0

the parts that have been ordered

Intel NUC5I3RYK Core i3 NUC Barebone Kit $429
G.Skill F3-2133C11D-8GRSL 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 SODIMM $115
Intel 530 Series 120GB M.2 SATA SSD $99
Logitech Desktop Combo MK120 $19
Alogic Mini DisplayPort to DVI-D M-M Cable $19
ATEN UC-232A USB to Serial Adapter $25
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit with SP1 OEM $125
Noctua NF-A14 Industrial PPC 140mm 3000RPM PWM Fan $39
Corsair Flash Survivor Stealth 16GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive $39
SanDisk Extreme 64GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive $59

I will take some time to tinker with it and if it works well i will get another for the office to replace a old atom system then if one dies they can be swapped to keep systems running

Im going to try use a existing internal usb connector to get the two usb 2.0 ports going otherwise all the ports will be full with no room for the usb sticks to do a backup

Also need to look at how to protect it from the dusty environment with a filter

Edited by Dasa
  • Like 2

wow thats amazing how that system works, they get so many in like clock work. Really nice setup.

Good idea on a dual order to keep things going if one goes down.

yeah it does work nicely

each cow is fed individually based on there tag number as they walk into the shed the grain drops down those black tubes for them in whatever quantity we enter in the pc for that cow which they love unless they are stuffed full they will often fight over whose next

i will have to take a hd video of it one day but unfortunately its not as clean as it was when new

some more reviews of the nuc

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/02/review-intels-broadwell-mini-pc-is-a-next-generation-ultrabook-in-a-box/

http://www.hitechlegion.com/reviews/multimedia/43319-intel-broadwell-5250u-nuc5i5ryk-review?showall=&start=8

Edited by Dasa

That's going to work well :)

Knowing you, I know I dont have to tell you how much of a huuuuuge jump you've taken in terms of upgrade, that's like a supercomputer compared. Love it.

Dust filtering? I'd suggest a mesh cube.

Since you only need to make two, I'd just do it by hand with wire and sand-fly flyscreen.

that way, take the 'cover' off, and hose it; done.

If you have cables in the way, make a cable drop down in the desk and have it a rectangle to allow wire room.

As for USB ports, What's using them?

I'll assume 2 for the equipment, and 1 for keyboard and mouse.... one should be spare...

Wait.... USB keyboard\mouse.

I'd honestly upgrade to a wireless one; single port used, and just make a battery change part of a 6 monthly\yearly schedule.

Frees up a port, frees up the desk.

regardless, don't be scared of Hubs for devices that don't share load\tax the USB port. For example, I'd happily run a non-powered splitter on a keyboard dongle and printer.

its a very fine dust i was thinking more of a automotive air filter the nuc would probably fit inside some filters but anyway we shall see

guess i could use your cube idea and wrap it in fabric provided the cube is large enough it will still breathe fine apparently these things run passive at idle which is how it will be basically all the time so i dont have to get to carried away

kb\m\usb dongle\usb-serial\usb backup

there is a internal usb 2.0 two port header in the nuc that should do the job if i can find something to work with it

i was looking at logitech kb\m with 3y kb battery and 18month mouse but meh i just hate batteries

Edited by Dasa

yeah its still a option but im going to see how i go with the internal usb ports first :)

the box this thing came in is close to to the size that my 2600k came in...

nuc_zps14985355.jpg

internet has 2g left and 9 days to reset so im holding of on installing updates :( 4g $109 15g then caped to 64k sucks

anyway how about some power usage

245.9-251V

fsp adapter 0.1-0.16w

nuc off & usb charge off 0.53-0.61w

Standby usb charge off and none plugged in 0.9-1.2w

idle in windows all usb unplugged monitor\ssd off 5.91-6.7w PF0.33

plugging the usb devices listed in the op back in puts power use up by ~1w when on and turning usb charge on puts it up by ~0.1w when off

power use just hit 31w PF0.40 while it was supposed to be idle and is now idling at 14w so i guess its up to something

Edited by Dasa

the system wont post with the ram above 1600mhz but it defaults to 1600 9-9-9-27-1t-240 and i was able to oc it to 8-8-8-24-1t-144

We all know ram does shit all to human interaction (we're slower :P) but Lower timings benchmark better than higher speeds on 'i' series chips anyway :)

Curiously, considering its task, aren't you better off to UNDERCLOCK everything by 1~10% to guarantee absolute stability even in extreme heat or constant stressed workloads?

I mean, considering what it's replacing.....

it will run stock clocks i just like to tinker and it shows that its not on the edge of stability

im hoping to compare load times with 1333c9\1600c11 vs 1600c8 and a single stick vs two

Ok so here is what im thinking for a filter

something like this with the nuc inside and a vent made out of a sheet of metal to vent the hot air out through

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/Ryco-Air-Filter-A1350.aspx?pid=0418&menuFrom=50202#Recommendations

im hoping the large surface area will stop the filter from being overly restrictive

then i will put some fine mesh or stocking material over the exit vent to prevent anything getting back in

20150220_095259_zps17e44806.jpg

20150220_095356_zps957943c8.jpg

I'd consider something like this metal box:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/191-X-65-X-120MM-ALUMINIUM-BOX-LARGE-DIECAST-METAL-CABINET-/291366173493?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item43d6c6fb35

Would need to check with seller exactly how much space is inside due to the guide rails, but it'd be simple enough to cut a few holes for cables, fan cutout with filter etc. Aluminium can't rust and should offer some protection from knocks if the NUC is snug. Not a full plan but just my two cents :)

• Like 1

yeah something like that would work with another fan powered by a external dc adapter to pressurize the box through a filter

downloaded a windows 32bit iso since the software isnt 64biy compatible

opening the software installer seemed to make the pc bluscreen a randomly with driver irq not less or equal but it installed ok in the end

ran into a problem though with the serial adapter not working its drivers install but its led never flashes and the software doesnt work with it

confirmed when i grabbed another cheap usb serial adapter from another pc that worked

so im going to buy a few of these which are apparently good quality and far more likely to be compatible

http://www.dontronics-shop.com/easysync-premium-gold-usb-rs232-adapter-cable-10cm-cable.html

and why is it that whenever i do a fresh install and update of windows there is always at least one update left that wont install

edit

i think these will fit the internal usb header so im going to grab some and find out

http://www.microsatacables.com/usb-a-dual-female-pnale-mount-to-1-x-8-pin-connector-cable-6-inches

folded up some steel thismorning and its a nice snug fit around the vent so im going to find a filter to suit soon

Edited by Dasa

spent today working on the filter bit rough but when your tools are angle grinders a hammer and a few clamps...

first time welding such light steel even on the lowest setting the mig was incinerating the lighter steel i folded on contact

the nuc is a very tight fit it takes a bit of force to get in and out so it doesnt seem to need any straps to keep it in place

wires will come out the top between the lid and the filter it should seal fairly well once i put a sheet of soft foam on the lid

thinking i will attach two cables to the inside of the lid and have a long bolt out through the bottom of the filter which will pull the lid down tight and bolt it to the bench so somebody cant just run of with it... but then who would want to flog a ugly filter :)

20150226_1840521_zpsztlm1jfd.jpg20150226_1839321_zpscmhuyr88.jpg20150226_1839331_zpskx2ffo5l.jpg

edit
should have taken the advice on the easier options so sick now from pushing myself to hard

fuck you lymes disease & co infections

Edited by Dasa
  • Like 2

usb cable arrived

needed to hack a hole in the base plate for it

its not long enough to exit the filter so it will need a usb extension

then the one free usb port will be accessible

nuc5_zpszhbnntjb.jpg20150313_1510032_zpsoeo5don5.jpg

Edited by Dasa