I have no problem with the Gas bottles. Just illustrating that risky gear can be managed - but they are rarely eliminated. But it's about making it acceptable.

Risk management is a fundamental engineering principle - and not difficult to comprehend - but bureaucrats seem incapable of grasping the concept of acceptable risk.

Forcing every Li tech battery to be installed in a bunker, because a subset are dangerous and unsuitable for that application is an inefficient mitigation of that risk.

bureaucrats seem incapable of grasping the concept of acceptable risk.

Forcing every Li tech battery to be installed in a bunker, because a subset are dangerous and unsuitable for that application is an inefficient mitigation of that risk.

100% in agreement with you.

The nanny state strikes again!

we have a very good fire plan in place.

not enough imo.

you should plan for all kinds of fires.

*groan*

Very pleased to hear from my installer (Solaray) that they submitted a Voltage Rise Request form along with my system's Enphase micro-inverter details to Ausgrid (noting my system has currently just over 9.5 kW of panels) and its all aproved! This is the process you follow to get an export cap raised above 5 kW for a standard single phase solar installation.

I logged onto Enlighten Manager and ran the Grid profile report this morning – and the export limit configuration change was there. So next I looked at my Envoy-s instatneous production / consumption / export data at midday and it read I was producting of 8.70 kW and it was sending 7.01 kW to the grid (whereas in the past it never exported more than 4.95 kW) at any moment.

So finally after much follow up I have the much larger export limit applied. By my rough calculation over the last two months production and export limit (whilst I have been at home and turning every possible thing on to avoid export limiting) I still forego about 50 kWh last month. If that was an average trend there is another 600 kWh I will send to the gird (where I home using everything). Considering I am not likely to be home – well then raise this number to more likely over 2,500 kWh a year – that is a saving potential of around $3,000 over the course of a decade – not too bad for a days work!

So if any other solar system owners are on single phase and have a system over 7 kW it is quite possible to get your export limits raised and from my financial modeling quite worthwhile to do so!

PS

Am currently following up with Enphase on an interesting question. Enphase is capable of arbitary export limiting, so why is it when the grid goes down they switch off all solar to keep the lines safe for line workers rather than simply adjust the export limit from its normal value to zero when the grid goes down until the grid comes back on?

So to confirm my modelling isn't too far off I asked AGL for an interim bill at the 48 of day 91 mark - total owning $38.10 wow!

The difference big solar, no export limit, daylight savings and a better plan makes. I calculate that with about 2 kW more of panels - say 9 - 10 panels our net monthly bill would be zero! I was thinking of adding storage, but it's economics really don't stake up against simply adding even more solar - cover all your good and bad days, export a heap and have this offset grid connect fees and evenings when you import a bit during cooking.

It's a bit early to tell having had 9.5 kW of solar and 9.2kW of inverters for a quarter - but after a year it will be interesting to see how this all stacks up. If this trend continues it means my $4000 per annum bills will shrink to maybe $400 - which is a huge saving year on year!

Edited by g__day

Well, I guess I'm now at the base of the learning curve - or just up it: Inverter went in last evening, and 11 panels went up today. Gotta do the last bit of paperwork with the power supplier.

We're putting in a 9.8kW system in by the end of the year. Just sneaking in before SA Power Networks limit single phase installations to 5kW maximum on 1/12.