pookiepony

HDD/Optical drive troubleshoot needed

Hi everyone

I'm feeling a bit silly (I'm sure there is an easy solution and I'm just not seeing it) but I need some help. I'm trying to save someone some dollars by installing a new HDD in their old HP deskopt as the old one is unstable. The machine is a bit of a shit kicker but perfectly suitable for the email/facebook/word processing demands onit. I install and get a disk boot failure and in trying to install an OS the optical drive is not working at all.

* Everything is plugged in correctly (currently I've swapped out to the old unstable hdd so that she can keep using something, so I assume the cable is ok)

* The mobo is detecting the new HDD

* I changed the boot priority in BIOS

* Optical drive appears not to work with either HDD installed

* Optical drive appears to be plugged in correctly (I didn't bump it in the swapping...they're not really close together)

* Optical drive was working with old HDD as recently as a week ago.

* I don't have a spare optical drive to swap in.

Any thoughts? Again...I feel a bit silly but I am new to the building/rebuilding side of computers. I did a bit of a google but the advice I found so far has not solved my problems.

Unstable hdd model? Is the new hdd formatted/visible in the BIOS?

Can you create a bootable USB stick and install from there? I've had success with using Rufus:

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

Alternatively there are Linux-based distros that boot off a usb stick.

Or even a usb disc drive.

As to why the optical drive isn't detected while the new hdd is connected but worked fine, I'm not entirely sure. What's the model of hp desktop?

Try different SATA cables, try different ports.

I rebuilt my machine last year - thought the new HDD I'd bought was farked as the install would die anywhere from 1/3rd to 1/2 way through. Turned out I've got a couple of SATA ports gone bad, probably due to pulling on a cable too hard.

Thanks for the input.

I think the SATA cable and port is fine as the old HDD will run off them. The new HDD is visible in BIOS. The unstable HDD is an older WD 500gb (AAKS) model, can't recall the HP Desktop model. It's almost like in changing the HDD I've somehow accidentally killed the ODD but I have no idea how (being reasonably careful nothing obvious went amiss in the swap in/out)

I will give Rufus a go, Not something I've done before but here's to learning.

There were/are HDD size limit hurdles with modern systems - IIRC the most recent one was 128 Gig. So it's worth looking if the system you're installing on has such issues and check to see you're on a recent BIOS version.

Edited by Rybags

The other thing to check (hope I'm not stating the bleeding obvious) is the jumpers on the drive (if any).

Some of those older drives still had a jumper to select master/slave, and sometimes, as Rybags pointed out, there is a jumper to limit the 32GB/128GB usable size.

It seems more likely though that if everything is ok, then the ODD and the new HDD are trying to grab the same address. Try unplugging the HDD and just booting the ODD from where it was plugged in originally. If that works, you know the ODD is still ok.

Thank you all for the input. I've managed to get the new HDD installed and the old ODD running again. Not quite sure what went awry but I installed OS using Rufus and all was right in the world. Hard drive is running nicely and the ODD is acting like it never had a bad day in its life.

I really appreciate the help!

• Like 1