Sign in to follow this  
codecreeper

Sims and Mobile phones

Looking at these SIM's and deciding whether to go with my ISP one or another SIM or even with Telstra.

Being on a DSP i need something cheap ,after doing some research i can afford up too $30 a month.

Should i go by a contract or just buy a Pre-paid SIM?

Being my first Mobile Phone i would need a number and such and worried that i may have to sign a contract.

With my ISP i can buy a SIM but i need to be on a broadband plan to use it.

Another Issue too i am thinking of moving maybe sometime in the year or next ,and cancelling my Broadband may cancel my Mobile SIM too.

With SIMS can i make International phone calls just for emergency do some allow a certain time limit allowed.

I'm on a TPG one that has some extra due to also being ADLS customer.

$1 a month "rent" gives me 150 Meg of data, if you're not on their ADSL then it's less data, probably 50 Meg or so.

2 cents/Meg excess usage.

Phonecalls I think it's 10 cents connect + 10c a minute. International, NFI/don't care/don't use.

The plan is pay in advance. At any given time there has to be something like $10 in credit. If it dips under $10 they do DD to bring the balance up to $20 in credit.

So potentially you can get a huge hit, but generally it costs me well under 20 bucks a month.

Don't use the mobile much for outgoing calls and they're short duration usually when I do. Barely touch the 3G data but it's handy to have it there.

I don't know if any mobile plans have reasonable international rates. Really, you'd probably be way better off investigating VOIP options. Mobile phones can use VOIP too.

I wouldn't go the TPG one, there is better value out there now.

all phones even without a SIM can dial 112, the international emergency number.

Sims need to be 'activated for roaming' when going over seas; its often cheaper to buy a local sim for the country you're in, then cutting it up when you're done.

You wont need to spend $30 a month for a good plan. In Australia there are only 3 'companies' that do phones, Vodafone, Telstra and Optus. the rest resell, and since Voda picked up their game, USUALLY there's little difference between the three.

My go-to plans are these guys:

http://www.liveconnected.com.au/mobile-plans-4g-3 (go up to the $23 a month plan if you intend to use much data beyond MMS and emails)

Or, knowing you have little hearing, you can go cheaper again with YATANGO

https://yatango.com.au/mobile/pricing/personalised

Slide VOICE down to 0, SMS to 100, and data to 1GB = $17 a month.

or $19 a month with exetel and unlimited SMS + 500mb of data

http://www.exetel.com.au/mobilephone/plans

there are a few more out there, but those are my starting points.

You've given the impression you'll rarely use the phone, so $30/month is overkill for what they'll give.

Throw some credit on it that will last for 6-12 months, and just use it on wifi as a tablet. If you need voice/data when out, it's there.

I do this via Telstra prepaid. $150 lasts me for most of the year and covers unavoidable outbound calls and text messages. Otherwise I spend $10/month (which comes out of that $120 lump of credit) to buy a 200MB data pack which I use to IM with and to google recipes at work. IIRC credit purchases over ~$50 lasts for 12 months. Calls are expensive because Telstra, but I rarely make them anyway and I like having the network coverage while travelling through the hills.

Ok thanks for the info guys.

with a SIM bought through one of these vendors how do you get a phone number for SMS?

I was saying $30 is my limit not sure if i will pay that much.

Been doing some research into Mobile phones checking reviews and such ,change my mind again looking at the Nokia Lumia 735 as it has a GPS included thinking if i trigger the emergency button it may help to locate me. As it looks like a mini Smartphone i could probably use it for my Games for Authentication too ,the extra security could be handy.

Would 200mb of Data a month be sufficient for what i need?

Practically any smartphone has GPS, it's nothing special any more.

200 Meg of data is a fair bit for mobile assuming you don't blow big chunks watching videos. Many sites will load mobile versions of their pages which generally means less download.

The trick is if you think you'll go over often, get a package that's doesn't charge too much for excess. 5 cents per meg is probably near to what I'd call reasonable.

• Like 1

So these SIMS seems more like Gametime cards where you pay for the time or data you use.

Maybe i should stick to my ISP who uses Telstra 4G for $15 a month its not too bad and if i do move i can use a Telstra Prepaid SIM.

with a SIM bought through one of these vendors how do you get a phone number for SMS?

It comes with the card, the SIM is the number, it'll be on the packet.

I was saying $30 is my limit not sure if i will pay that much.

Good, Dont. It's a waste. I linked 3 better plans for your needs.

Been doing some research into Mobile phones checking reviews and such ,change my mind again looking at the Nokia Lumia 735 as it has a GPS included thinking if i trigger the emergency button it may help to locate me. As it looks like a mini Smartphone i could probably use it for my Games for Authentication too ,the extra security could be handy.

You're overthinking this mate; Its a phone. It can call 000, and ALL phones can be triangulated in the case of an emergency, GPS wont help at all. Except, of course, for you using it to get around :P

Would 200mb of Data a month be sufficient for what i need?

If you were 100% tech savvy, yes. Since this is new to you, no. One wrong click or update could chew through that and rack up a nice bill for you afterward.

So these SIMS seems more like Gametime cards where you pay for the time or data you use.

Just like all of them!

Plans are for suckers. Buy a phone outright, get a 'no contract' SIM like any of the ones I linked; then see if you need to go up, or down, in cost.

Then after 3~6 months, when you EXACTLY what you use, then MAYBE consider a plan that matches it. maybe.

Maybe i should stick to my ISP who uses Telstra 4G for $15 a month its not too bad and if i do move i can use a Telstra Prepaid SIM.

Can you link the plan? Sounds like bad value to me.
If you get your unlimited SMS for that $15 a month, and at least 500mb of data, then not bad.
Otherwise the one I linked through Exetel for $19 is better IMO. I dont THINK it has a contract; just double check. For a while it was 6 months (6x 20 = 120 max cost, so hardly a stress if it still is.)

I'm also with 'Node.

There's a reason I'm not with them when I love internode so much. They're shit value.

ESPECIALLY considering you WONT be using voice at all, right?

IF i'm right about that, the Yatango 100SMS a month, 1GB of data a month, would be my go-to.

Or even 200SMS and 1GB of data for a flat $20 a month.

As long as you didnt watch videos on it, and kept an eye on your data each week, That'd be a safe plan for anyone.

I know a lot of people who hammer 100~150SMS a month, but very few who do 200. Thats 7 a day, every day.

Though if you like the idea of 'writing to people wherever you go' you might do 20 a day!

In that case, Exetel with 500mb and Unlimited SMS will be the go (it'd be my choice, just limit your web browsing, or use a browser with compression like Opera Mini)

Edited by Master_Scythe
  • Like 1

"NodeMobile uses the Optus mobile network, which now covers over 97% of Australia's population. Refer to our Coverage page for more coverage information."

• Like 1

"NodeMobile uses the Optus mobile network, which now covers over 97% of Australia's population. Refer to our Coverage page for more coverage information."

ahh ok ,always thought 4G was telstra only

Just checked Optus pre paid plans they so expensive ,makes telstra seem cheap

A bit miffed about the 200mb data for such a high cost.

What about those Supermarket Sims they sell at checkouts .

Get something cheap that still has some reasonable included bundling for a month, then see how much you use it, and then decide.

• Like 1

Your disability for once kinda pays off.

Mobile phone companies still like to stin you with voice charges, but finally have stupidly big (if not unlimited) SMS allowances.

If you're a facebook\chat client type of guy (skype for example) 1GB wont get used in a month of text based chat and the odd picture.

• Like 1