millusions

umm. so what exactly happened here?

People left, simple as that.

Or to put it better, what happened? Facebook happened.

We all grew up and got boring. or maybe:

- Facebook?

- Twitter?

- LinkedIn? (hehe)

- Google+ (hehehehehehe)

- Yak

- Snapchat

- Instagram

- Tinder!?! (yikes)

- Grindr (whatever floats your boat bro)

Circle of life :) While I share you feeling, it's just the way it is, especially when there's really no magazine left to galvanize the community around, or to bring new blood in. Seriously who's incluing PCTA?

When I think about the people I conversed with that use to be on atomic and aren't any more, they all got married, aged 10-15 years, had kids and moved on into new stages of their lives. I was a single uni student when I joined up. Now I've been married 10 years, have 3 kids and am a corporate high flier.

Luckily I've got Facebook for some atomicans , and Atomic Sim Racing for a bunch of others, where we're activelly smashing the page count daily and meeting up (virutally via sim racing and teamspeak) every week.

• Like 2

pretty sad :(

this was a pretty good forum back in the day,

and the first issue of Atomic was breathtaking :)

Still got the shirt. Mind you, the body seems to have outgrown it...

pretty sad :(

this was a pretty good forum back in the day,

and the first issue of Atomic was breathtaking :)

Still got the shirt. Mind you, the body seems to have outgrown it...

I lost my shirt and sold my old case with the atomic sticker.

So many regrets :(

Yeah, basically, what the other folks said - there's still some hold-outs here (bless 'em!), but magazine forums have taken a huge hit with the rise of more modern social media.

what happened to this forum?

its like dead

We were closed on the day you checked in to clean and stuff.

Back to normal now.

Heh - I now fit into all those old V1 t-shirts I had and couldn't wear. :)

Well done!

I now fit into fuck all :(

its like dead

Back to normal now.

Well done!

Thanks hulks. I'm now minus 70kgs and counting. Almost half my body weight gone. Doing MMA when I can to continue the fitness in the right direction.

Edited by Chaos.Lady
  • Like 1

its like dead

Back to normal now.

Well done!

Thanks hulks. I'm now minus 70kgs and counting. Almost half my body weight gone. Doing MMA when I can to continue the fitness in the right direction.

Holy Moly Chaos....That's an awesome effort...well done.......

OCAU seems to be going along quite fine. It has nothing to do with the demise of the printed magazine or other forms of social communications.

I do have some observations though.

1. Get rid of the ranks, only need to look at this thread for a great example. It is off putting to new members.

2. The post counts, again this thread is a great example. This is a tech forum first and foremost, General chat should never be included in post counts.

3. Atomic has always had a cliquey feel to it, That's not a good thing especially when you are generally appealing to the nerdy/geeky community.

I've never understood the post count objection. Who cares where the count comes from, it's just an arbitrary number.

The question is, do we really want to be as busy as OCAU? Atomic has the benefit of a huge signal to noise ratio. Even our most derailed threads are mostly higher quality than on other forums. The tech areas are almost dead, but that's largely due to how easy it is to troubleshoot anything yourself. Google + StackOverflow = 99% of issues solved. The rest is seeking validation from peers.

1. Get rid of the ranks, only need to look at this thread for a great example. It is off putting to new members.

2. The post counts, again this thread is a great example

Upon what do you base those assertions? Nobody at all has referred to ranks or postcounts prior to yourself.

I've never understood the post count objection. Who cares where the count comes from, it's just an arbitrary number.

About the only time it was an arbitrary number was when members would " +1 " in WOYM m1 for post count, and admitting to doing it.

Used to piss me off something fierce ;)

Post count is a numerical mark of contribution to the forum.

Pigs can fly is just trolling a bit ... understandable really it's all in the nick of time :P

Edited by eveln

some ppl were very toxic back a few years ago thats one of the reasons why I stopped coming. But I think the major downturn is that there is no magazine.

• Like 1

About the only time it was an arbitrary number was when members would " +1 " in WOYM m1 for post count, and admitting to doing it.

+1.

Just for your eveln :).

+1.

Just for your eveln :).

O.O

I just don't even ...

:P~

Edited by eveln
  • Like 1

some ppl were very toxic back a few years ago thats one of the reasons why I stopped coming. But I think the major downturn is that there is no magazine.

What? The mag is gone?

Damn, how long have I been gone?

Sort of reminds me of Romancing The Stone. "Oh Man, the Doobie Brothers broke up!"

• Like 2

I don't even jump in to check the world of Tanks forum as much as I should now. Finding the time is hard. The girlfriend is probably fuming at me just for being at this computer at the moment, so that's another reason I don't come here very often.

My primary hook used to be the 'Show us your Rig' thread. It just doesn't see the action anymore.

One day, I'll finish this build that has been taking up half this room since i moved in 2 years ago and help liven things up for a couple minutes.

One day.....

And I think that's a pretty accurate picture of where the forums are at. Some folks didn't even notice the mag closing, others are just moving on to different periods of their life. And as that happens, other, more involved folks head to more populated boards.

Not much to be done about it, but we'll keep hosting this place until the last Atomican leaves.

• Like 2