Sign in to follow this  
Ishta2000

Why does my GPU not allow me to select higher resolutions?

So I recently purchased a Sony 4K TV and I cannot figure out why my Video Card will only allow me to display 1920 x 1080. I know the card can go higher as I used to use a Dell 30 Inch monitor and could display the highest resolution on it.

My video card is a Radeon HD7800 card with 2 GB of RAM. I am using a HDMI 1.4 cable through my Onkyo receiver which also has up-scale capabilities but yet the maximum resolution I am getting on the TV is only 1080p.

Any suggestions would be great appreciated.

Cheers

Is HDMI 1.4 capable of more than 1080p?

As far as I am aware it is. I read an article on-line about it and apparently as long as the devices are able to do it then it should not restrict it. Besides current HDMI out puts to a Monitor would give higher resolutions I would think, or am I wrong?

A friend's laptop was putting out (via HDMI) 1080p to his brand new Dell 27" monitor that was capable of 1440p. I thought it was comical, he didn't mind because it was still an upgrade.

If cable/screen/output are all capable of a new enough version of HDMI, then I'm not sure.

Resolution comes down to available bandwidth insofar as the interface goes, lower framerate or interlace allows higher than high framerate+progressive.

Possibly since it's a TV it doesn't give identification like monitors usually do. Possibly it's a graphics card driver issue. Sometimes there'll be a checkbox to allow selecting modes not supported by your device. In the case of the CCC I have installed, there's an option to add HDTV modes which aren't present, so it's worth a look around.

Is your HDMI cable labelled as high speed?

from wikipedia:

As of the HDMI 1.4 specification, these are the following cable types defined for HDMI in general:[113][114]

• Standard HDMI Cable – up to 1080i and 720p
  • Standard HDMI Cable with Ethernet
  • Automotive HDMI Cable
  • High Speed HDMI Cable – 1080p, 4K, 3D and deep color
  • High Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Cables

• Like 1

Tried bypassing your receiver?

Yeah I have. Plugged HDMI version 1.4 straight into the TV and still max resolution is 1920 x 1080. Am stumped now.

I checked the GPU specs and it says it can handle 4K content and max resolution of 4096 x 2160.

Not sure where to go from here.

Thanks for all the replies so far too.

Cheers